Alex Symonds back to Cardiff?

Gazza272

Thread starter #1
According to a post on THF Alex Symonds could be on his way back to Cardiff after being released by Petoborough after their terrible start.

It doesnt say weather it would be ENL or EIHL but if it were to be EIHL i'ed have to say we would be clearly winning the EIHL best Brit race for my money.

Be interesting to see what comes of this.

TheStub

It would be interesting to have 6 D, if the budget stretches that far.

Any news on why he was released though? The Phantoms website just has an offhand 'oh, we also released Alex Symonds'.

As nice as it would be to have Alex back in a Devils jersey, hopefully G will be doing due diligence, and looking at his form this season. If it was a personality thing, then he may be a great signing - back at home with something to prove. Interesting to see if we have room in the cap too.

We wouldn't be far off being able to ice a competitive, almost totally British team :shock:

Finny

2 way deal maybe between the ENL and EIHL?

A couple of weeks with the ENL side to get his confidence and form back, then slowly get him back into the EIHL team a couple of shifts a game at a time.

Gazza272

Thread starter #5
TheStub said:
Any news on why he was released though? The Phantoms website just has an offhand 'oh, we also released Alex Symonds'.

The Phantoms won the treble last season and have had a woeful start this term, Alex is a young D man who is probably getting more ice time than he would have done due to the poor start and i think its an easy scape goat.

By alll accounts he had a good season for Telford last term and he was always solid for us, i'ed go along wiht Finny in sending him down to the ENL where i think he would be one of the better D men in that league and then slowly bring him back to the senior team, if in fact he signs for us.

Finny

Gazza272 said:
The Phantoms won the treble last season and have had a woeful start this term, Alex is a young D man who is probably getting more ice time than he would have done due to the poor start and i think its an easy scape goat.
Peterborough's fans are in general pretty thick and refuse to accept they won the league last season because they brought in the best players and overspent by loads. They had to get the players to cut their wages by a third just to finish the season.
Not suprisingly most of their players moved on over the summer and they signed players with a far more sensible budget. However, it does mean this season they are going to struggle to finish midtable.

TheStub

Isn't that what you call a 'building year'? :lol:

I had noticed that they were floundering - 6 losses from 6 isn't it? But, the news that they had released Alex was so offhand that it seemed strange. Usually scapegoats get made a big deal of, and made me wonder if there was more personal reasons, maybe.

Like I said, it would be good to see him in a Devils jersey again. The two way deal with the ENL side sounds like an ace idea.

I know Stoney isn't retiring till later on in this season, but it seems to be a likely replacement for Stone?
Like people have said, ease him in on a two way ENL contract!
then when he's more confident and back up to speed, maybe next season?
bring him up to the first team permanently!

TheStub

Hopefully the regular ice time in the EPL has helped develop him, so he would be better than he was before - which was a decent D.

It would nice to think we can roll with 6 D. Talk about depth :lol:

What are the league rules about maximum number of dressed players for a game?

TheStub

So, room for the 6 D and then a couple more forwards :lol:

I can see there being real moaning around the league if a team starts rolling 4 lines. How far have the ENL forwards come? 4 lines, spare forward and 7 D then?

you could probably make a decent line from davies, hayes, fisher/watkins
if we wanted to play 4 line hockey only problem is fitting them all on the bench

TheStub

I was thinking Towe, Michel, Davies and then Adams, Hayes, Fisher/Watkins ;)

Would be a nice problem to have though. At least our rink has a door at the end of the bench. Get some spare chairs out ;)

apparently alex wasnt happy for a variety of reasons in peterborough and had discussed this with other team members , he also never had chance to prove his capabilities either, as he was struck down with swine flu at the start of the league season(after pre-season games) which was only19 days ago. until then the team had performed well and according to their website alex had MOM in at least one of the league games, so cant imagine him being released as anything other than an easy option, than releasing someone who had no other options and who wanted to stay. But was told that there are some serious problems in peterborough this season, with a completely new coach to this country and with the 10 year team captain leaving after 1 week, things probably hasn't started off well , hope they manage to sort things out. cant imagine their fans being happy with going from triple champions last season, to a slow start, hope they give the rest of the team a chance to improve and get back to what their capable of before .

still hope this means he's cardiff bound.

TheStub said:
I can see there being real moaning around the league if a team starts rolling 4 lines. How far have the ENL forwards come? 4 lines, spare forward and 7 D then?
i would love a team to roll with 4 viable lines, and the Devils seem to have a decent enough brit pack this season to be the ones to do it......meanwhile the giants will continue to roll 1 and a half forward lines and 2 1/2 d pairings...leaving about 6 guys on the bench every game :roll:

Wannabe2

Indeed Alex wasnt cut, far from it, and it will be Peterboroughs loss. Myself i would love it if Alex was to return Home, just have to keep my fingers crossed on that one. The lad is a bit older now, and more experienced, he has the potential to be a very very good player, as he showed during his last spell with the Devils. So if these rumours are true, and i for one hope they are, then bring it on. Got my fingers crossed on this one.

It was good to see Symo sitting with his family in Block 9 on Sunday watching the Belfast game. I would love to see him back too.