3rd August

Gazr76

Not sure, but he appears to have deleted his Twitter for some reason.
Joey mentions this on the the pod. In that he had now deleted or suspended his Twitter account due to all the negativity on social media. Joey M also mentioned on the pod that other players on the team had been in touch with the club due to what they were seeing on social media.

lloyd_jeff

You are literally making this up.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/cardiff-devils-takeover-complete---7326556

And I’ll quote Paul’s comment.

"I have had the pleasure of working alongside Todd over the past four years at Elite League Board Level, and have always been extremely impressed with his professionalism and commitment to the sport.

"He is a great guy, and somebody who understands what is required to build a successful ice hockey cub at this level. I’m happy to say he’s a great friend too”.

Ocko

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/cardiff-devils-takeover-complete---7326556

And I’ll quote Paul’s comment.

"I have had the pleasure of working alongside Todd over the past four years at Elite League Board Level, and have always been extremely impressed with his professionalism and commitment to the sport.

"He is a great guy, and somebody who understands what is required to build a successful ice hockey cub at this level. I’m happy to say he’s a great friend too”.
If you believe that media spin you’re even more deluded than even your worst posts suggest.

lloyd_jeff

Like l wrote I’m not going to speculate on here, my quote and reference is simply that, believe what ever you want, media spin……really.

Pleximan

The new jersey? It has Cardiff Devils in Welsh around the sleeves. Diawliaid Caerdydd.
Why is it in Welsh ffs?! The vast majority of people in Wales actually don't want the Welsh language pushed in our face! Dual language fine, but Welsh on its own is absolutely wrong. I suspect the number of people in Wales actually selecting Welsh language at a CTM is very very small.

Gisland

Guess you didn't follow the devil's when he ran them into the ground and nearly folding them
Not sure why but for some reason, a particular poster on this forum always springs to mind when I read Paul Ragans name.

What happened there? I have some vague recollections about protests etc. Was he just a bad owner??

kettdevil1

Not sure why but for some reason, a particular poster on this forum always springs to mind when I read Paul Ragans name.

What happened there? I have some vague recollections about protests etc. Was he just a bad owner??
Yes, I don't think you are the only one this happens to :)

It's a good question and I suspect everyone will have a different view about those years but by common consensus, whilst the start of his ownership contained some positives and some good 'spin', by the end the club was at its lowest ever ebb (and yes I am including the protest year as that brought the fans together and there was a common purpose that you knew would stand the club well in the future). It was a bleak period in our history - to contrast with the current era, I remember a midweek game against Fife that we lost in OT where the attendance was somewhere in the 600s.

Prior to his ownership, the club had been kept competitive by excellent recruitment from (notably) Gerard Adams and Neil Francis and before this era there was a sense of us punching above our weight and whilst we didn't win much, we regularly humbled other teams and there was always a sense of a united club, waiting for the new arena and beating a few teams up whilst we did so. It was a decent time to be a Devils fan and 'G' and 'Franny' typified this, they understood the club and the fans.

Then came the new owner. Others can fill you in on exact details but the one thing that happened is that the fanbase was divided by a series of decisions that seemed, at best, not in line with the club's ethos. Adams and Francis were replaced by the late Brent Pope who had many qualities but coaching hockey teams and general man management were not two of them and the communication around the club collapsed. Worst of all the DNA of the club, winning and putting players first to give them the opportunity to do their best, were eroded. The club became a laughing stock and we had huge turnover of players, the majority of whom should have been nowhere near a Devils shirt. Much of the blame went to Pope, again, others closer to the club at the time will say if that is fair but the owner appointed him so..... to blame one man is disingenuous.

I don't know the reason for this and wouldn't heap all blame on the owner (I haven't got the evidence to do so) but what his reign did lead to was apathy and a lack of communication. I remember thinking at that game against Fife that the club was dying on its feet. You would struggle to find a Devils fan who has a positive view of these years. Some of the decisions were plain bizarre, I remember Thomas Kurka, a decent but not exceptional player, being offered 'the biggest contract in the Devils' history', whilst at the same time there were players apparently using sticks that were clearly not up to the job. It seemed a very strange way of running a sports club.

Finally (and I know others have vehemently disagreed in the last few days) the thing which springs to mind is the interaction with the supporter base. Whenever I have asked anyone within the current Devils management and ownership anything in the last decade, i have always got, not just a response but a well thought out answer. I might not always like the answer but I have always respected the answer as there was clearly both insight and sporting intelligence behind the answer. If anyone wants to buy me a pint I can contrast this with some of the points made under previous ownerships :)

Not sure if that answers your questions at all @Gisland and I am dancing around some issues but for me the summary is that we went from the lowest point in our history to the highest when our current owners took over.

kristian

Time to move on from rebrand now and get behind the team. Not long to go and lets be honest does the logo mean we support the Devils any less?
Will the players not win because of logo on shirt. We have about 3 weeks before the season starts.
Let's stop bickering between ourselves on social media and get behind the CARDIFF DEVILS.
That's right it's the same team just a different logo.
See you all at rink #letsplayhockey

Chris

Administrator
Yes, I don't think you are the only one this happens to :)

It's a good question and I suspect everyone will have a different view about those years but by common consensus, whilst the start of his ownership contained some positives and some good 'spin', by the end the club was at its lowest ever ebb (and yes I am including the protest year as that brought the fans together and there was a common purpose that you knew would stand the club well in the future). It was a bleak period in our history - to contrast with the current era, I remember a midweek game against Fife that we lost in OT where the attendance was somewhere in the 600s.

Prior to his ownership, the club had been kept competitive by excellent recruitment from (notably) Gerard Adams and Neil Francis and before this era there was a sense of us punching above our weight and whilst we didn't win much, we regularly humbled other teams and there was always a sense of a united club, waiting for the new arena and beating a few teams up whilst we did so. It was a decent time to be a Devils fan and 'G' and 'Franny' typified this, they understood the club and the fans.

Then came the new owner. Others can fill you in on exact details but the one thing that happened is that the fanbase was divided by a series of decisions that seemed, at best, not in line with the club's ethos. Adams and Francis were replaced by the late Brent Pope who had many qualities but coaching hockey teams and general man management were not two of them and the communication around the club collapsed. Worst of all the DNA of the club, winning and putting players first to give them the opportunity to do their best, were eroded. The club became a laughing stock and we had huge turnover of players, the majority of whom should have been nowhere near a Devils shirt. Much of the blame went to Pope, again, others closer to the club at the time will say if that is fair but the owner appointed him so..... to blame one man is disingenuous.

I don't know the reason for this and wouldn't heap all blame on the owner (I haven't got the evidence to do so) but what his reign did lead to was apathy and a lack of communication. I remember thinking at that game against Fife that the club was dying on its feet. You would struggle to find a Devils fan who has a positive view of these years. Some of the decisions were plain bizarre, I remember Thomas Kurka, a decent but not exceptional player, being offered 'the biggest contract in the Devils' history', whilst at the same time there were players apparently using sticks that were clearly not up to the job. It seemed a very strange way of running a sports club.

Finally (and I know others have vehemently disagreed in the last few days) the thing which springs to mind is the interaction with the supporter base. Whenever I have asked anyone within the current Devils management and ownership anything in the last decade, i have always got, not just a response but a well thought out answer. I might not always like the answer but I have always respected the answer as there was clearly both insight and sporting intelligence behind the answer. If anyone wants to buy me a pint I can contrast this with some of the points made under previous ownerships :)

Not sure if that answers your questions at all @Gisland and I am dancing around some issues but for me the summary is that we went from the lowest point in our history to the highest when our current owners took over.
That is an excellent post! Nice one @kettdevil1 , summed up far better than I certainly could have!