3rd August

RedDevil17

Thanks for the response, sentiment and engagement, that’s not really relevant. Why, well the fact no information was mentioned, 12 months in development & you’ve grown to love it, yet ignored the passionate fans, the lack of forthcoming information, well that just stinks of ignorance or arrogance, basically the actions cancel out the words. As owners you’ve every right to bring in anything you wish, without consulting anyone, as business owners you’ve grossly underestimated Cardiff Devils fans passion, the size of your market place and although this is early days and yes you’ll sell merch, you’ve sent fan sentiment back, regrettable for your business, it’s likely to be financial impacted for some yrs to come. People will come, but only to watch the hockey. As for the marketing benefits, you do realise you’re a 3,200 seat arena club and most fans don’t enjoy streamed games, it’s a make do platform, if you think you’ll sell to thousands more fans on tv, good luck……..
Not often I agree with you, but I think you’re pretty much spot on with this.

Thanks for the response, sentiment and engagement, that’s not really relevant. Why, well the fact no information was mentioned, 12 months in development & you’ve grown to love it, yet ignored the passionate fans, the lack of forthcoming information, well that just stinks of ignorance or arrogance, basically the actions cancel out the words. As owners you’ve every right to bring in anything you wish, without consulting anyone, as business owners you’ve grossly underestimated Cardiff Devils fans passion, the size of your market place and although this is early days and yes you’ll sell merch, you’ve sent fan sentiment back, regrettable for your business, it’s likely to be financial impacted for some yrs to come. People will come, but only to watch the hockey. As for the marketing benefits, you do realise you’re a 3,200 seat arena club and most fans don’t enjoy streamed games, it’s a make do platform, if you think you’ll sell to thousands more fans on tv, good luck……..
That's your opinion
Opinion's are like Assholes everyone has one

E.D.S.

The prior Logo was great. And from 2014-2020 our teams wore it in many champagne soaked trophy photos. When Covid stopped the league, the Devils were on top. We had consistently been winning trophies, and were in the mix on all competitions.
When rebranding was discussed, I was skeptical at first as I have 10 years of great memories starting with that first year and our bus ride to Sheffield. So I understand the attachment and passion to the Logo as many here have followed and loved the team for much longer than me.
But I grew to love the new Logo, not because of its marketing benefits. For me it represents intent. We have been involved with your awesome club for a while, and we are as excited as the first year. We have put a great coach and team together and we are planning to fight our way back.
I have had a whole to think about this, and it. Is fresh for all of you. So it may take time and seeing the on ice efforts, but I want this to mark our return to being the Logo that the other teams hate the most in their barns, ( not our fans)
Total bollocks. Marketing spin and utter nonsense. You changed the logo and you want us to love it. Some do, it seems the majority don’t but the reality is… you don’t care and why would you? We’re a seat, a season ticket, an income. If we don’t like it or want to walk away then it doesn’t matter as there’s another person to be that seat, that season ticket and that income. We all know this, we’re all comfortable with this, it’s a transactional relationship dressed up as some sort of “family” and “fan centric” nonsense, we all know this yet you still treated me/us like dickheads. The logo sucks. It’s embarrassing.

Still go back to Ryan Reynolds walking into Wrexham and saying “that logo needs changing, it needs to be a brand we can market”. Just wouldn’t happen and didn’t happen.

What a cock up.

E.D.S.

On the plus side… all this revenue from the new brand and the ice pad looking like it’s been shat on by a bird thats eaten a large bag of skittles means we’ll be seeing some serious talent in Cardiff. That “first line talent on our third line” is now a reality. I look forward to seeing the talent being brought in.

Kevin roog

I always thought our devils identify was we were the welsh sports team who wins trophies,let’s get back to that ,forget ya crappy football and rugby teams who wouldn’t know what a trophy is if it farted in their face, you can put Todd’s face on the jersey for all I care

TL91

The problem is does the inferno really represent the vast majority? Many a thread it’s the same posters all the time. Yes, I’ve seen some new names on here and a few saying they don’t post often but we can’t say that a vocal ‘majority’ on the inferno is reflective of the majority of the fan base; flip side, maybe it is. Reality is the owners/management have to live with whatever comes now…if sales are up, more online engagement, etc. reality is it us a success which can then bring in more sponsorship monies, etc. if it doesn’t, it’s their pockets that are hit. The only real impact on us as a fan is whether we like it or not; a lot less jeapordy. For what it’s worth, do I love it? No. Do I hate it? No. It’ll take a lot of getting used to but many sports teams are ‘simplifying’ their logos - if it works for a club the size of Juventus and their fan base, then I know the scale of economy is different here, but there must clearly be a high reward to it. Reality is there’s a lot more fans to alienate in the top tier football world for instance, so if it’s deemed to work there, surely it must transfer. Time will tell! One last thing on the ice - why are we really bothered? Provided it doesn’t hinder any players performance; what does it matter? To me, it’s just so we can’t laugh at Steeler’s ice due to people who live in glass houses, etc. The club has to be ambitious to compete with the arena teams and would you really expect someone to turn down extra money over something that doesn’t really have an impact? I wouldn’t and I’m pretty sure the majority would say the same here.

kingmo19.1

Having read Steve & Brian’s response, looks like there is little enthusiasm to roll-back on this enforced change, more a case of it’s happening so get used to it!

I thought maybe with the feedback witnessed on various platforms they’d have come out with some sort of statement along the lines of ….. Yes, we understand this is somewhat of a surprise and an non-consulted one at that, therefore, we will stick with it this season then look to obtain feedback from the fanbase at the end of the year (having given said time to get used to it) to understand a more collective view on the logo with the potential for revision or reverting back to the original!

In summary, it’s enforced, it’s a PR disaster, the vast majority do not like it and there is no guarantee that within time people will like it - so owners, please consider being flexibility with this sort of thing in the future, it resonates highly with the loyal fanbase you have and that relationship should be cherished and looked after, not taken for granted without consideration!

august04 2.0

The problem is does the inferno really represent the vast majority? Many a thread it’s the same posters all the time. Yes, I’ve seen some new names on here and a few saying they don’t post often but we can’t say that a vocal ‘majority’ on the inferno is reflective of the majority of the fan base; flip side, maybe it is. Reality is the owners/management have to live with whatever comes now…if sales are up, more online engagement, etc. reality is it us a success which can then bring in more sponsorship monies, etc. if it doesn’t, it’s their pockets that are hit. The only real impact on us as a fan is whether we like it or not; a lot less jeapordy. For what it’s worth, do I love it? No. Do I hate it? No. It’ll take a lot of getting used to but many sports teams are ‘simplifying’ their logos - if it works for a club the size of Juventus and their fan base, then I know the scale of economy is different here, but there must clearly be a high reward to it. Reality is there’s a lot more fans to alienate in the top tier football world for instance, so if it’s deemed to work there, surely it must transfer. Time will tell! One last thing on the ice - why are we really bothered? Provided it doesn’t hinder any players performance; what does it matter? To me, it’s just so we can’t laugh at Steeler’s ice due to people who live in glass houses, etc. The club has to be ambitious to compete with the arena teams and would you really expect someone to turn down extra money over something that doesn’t really have an impact? I wouldn’t and I’m pretty sure the majority would say the same here.
I think the Inferno is a pretty good representation of the fan base. But even if you disagree with that, open your eyes, the reaction is the same everywhere on social media. It’s not like its just the posters on here who think it’s horrendous.

TL91

I think the Inferno is a pretty good representation of the fan base. But even if you disagree with that, open your eyes, the reaction is the same everywhere on social media. It’s not like its just the posters on here who think it’s horrendous.
I get that completely and have looked but I guess if you collated all the opinions individually and numbered them, what proportion of the fan base would that equate to. Maybe I’m being pragmatic but I sometimes it’s a bit like leaving a review on something - if it’s good, it’s what you expected/paid for so people are less inclined to say how great it is. If people are let down they are a lot quicker to post. Just playing Devil’s advocate - no pun intended!

pjj365

It's creeping into THF under the Debacles of British Hockey thread - not many comments and brief but there
It also attracts some comment on LinkedIn - more process (how have we get here?) focused though

august04 2.0

I get that completely and have looked but I guess if you collated all the opinions individually and numbered them, what proportion of the fan base would that equate to. Maybe I’m being pragmatic but I sometimes it’s a bit like leaving a review on something - if it’s good, it’s what you expected/paid for so people are less inclined to say how great it is. If people are let down they are a lot quicker to post. Just playing Devil’s advocate - no pun intended!
Having seen the reaction on social media, my gut feel is that the poll on the Inferno is being generous to the club (20% like, 80% dislike). It feels to me like there isn’t that split elsewhere and the reaction is more extreme, so maybe we're more kind hearted on here!

Gazr76

Anyone listened to the latest 2 Ales and Hockey Tales podcast with Joey Martin? Wally raised the new logo on the podcast. Thoughts on this?

Pleximan

I'm going to try to be a little more open minded here. Maybe, just maybe the 'existing' logo could have had a freshen up, keep the theme with the Devils head looking forwards with the wording Devils and maybe just subtly amend the face to look a little more cartoon-ified. Now perhaps that idea could have been given to a design company, then 5 or 6 concept designs get whittled down to say....3 by the club management and then the fan base are invited to view and vote on the them.
A process that would have made everyone "Devils family" feel a part of.
That would have avoided this whole mess.

After all, if you are someone who likes to vote on politics or not, the most important part of that process is that we each have a vote, our say in the process whether you exercise that vote or not. The point is we get a say in the process. That would be the right thing to do to keep everyone happy-ish, wouldn't it?

I so hope this situation can be retrieved and repaired but right now the club feels different today than it did last week. Trust has gone.