2023/2024 Season - Positive Outlooks

Devils86

On the ice I'll be interested to see whether the accountability that has been talked about is actually enforced. Whether players who coast will get dropped and whether those that impress get moved up the lines. We relied heavily on SMC line last year and you never know maybe mixing that up might prove interesting...??

(Always wondered about the conflict between keeping lines with chemistry together and changing things up)

The tactics and style under PR will be interesting as well - he said it'll be big change for some of the players and less passive.

Off the ice it seems that things are changing a bit with increased commercial revenue - will be keen to see if that's to offset the rise in costs such as energy or whether we can expect to see investment of other areas off the ice as a result. (Wage cap meaning the extra income won't go on wages)

Last edited:

Mooney#16

But longer term injuries still occupy payroll so you have a choice of being ruthless and terminating a contract to release the salary or you accommodate the unavailability. This is of course caveatted by whatever you might cover on insurance but again that will be a gamble based against policy premiums. But if you have a rep as a club for cutting injured players you’ll fight that recruitment wise and players will want increased salaries to cover increased risk. I just don’t get it as being as simple as gas and hire.

Belfast have the financial clout to backfill their IR. Devils et Al far less so. It’s a perfect example of Giants financial dominance playing out. If an ice pad covered in logo’s etc is what it takes to have a risk pot to compete then so be it. However having a rep for honouring contracts is also another way of helping yourselves out.

Pleximan

Hi Lee, very good post, well done and you are no less important than any other Devils fan.

My final words on the re-brand are that I don't like the new logo but particularly the way it was handled, but let's move on.

I am looking forward to Pete Russell instilling a disciplined style of hockey where all players are accountable, to the coach, the fans and to themselves and that each player knows the standards required.

A decent powerplay (it can't get any worse than last year) and a relentless forechecking style that pressures the opposition for 3 periods will be very good to see. Solid goaltending, 3 genuine scoring lines and a 4th checking shutdown line will all be an enjoyment that we will all enjoy watching.

But, I'm still not buying the new shirt/logo.

lloyd_jeff

But longer term injuries still occupy payroll so you have a choice of being ruthless and terminating a contract to release the salary or you accommodate the unavailability. This is of course caveatted by whatever you might cover on insurance but again that will be a gamble based against policy premiums. But if you have a rep as a club for cutting injured players you’ll fight that recruitment wise and players will want increased salaries to cover increased risk. I just don’t get it as being as simple as gas and hire.

Belfast have the financial clout to backfill their IR. Devils et Al far less so. It’s a perfect example of Giants financial dominance playing out. If an ice pad covered in logo’s etc is what it takes to have a risk pot to compete then so be it. However having a rep for honouring contracts is also another way of helping yourselves out.
It’s weighing up pro’s and con’s, a short team expecting to carry the shortfall leads to all shorts of issues. As for wages and treatment, both players & club should have sufficient insurance, from a business point of view and a career ending injury for a player. Having seen the pubic financials on line, the club have everything covered & still produce a healthy balance sheet. Belfast can and will buy their success, the best we can do is out coach & play them without blowing the bank & hope that produces some overachievement, it’s not impossible & makes for some interesting results, has all the ingredients for a great season. Unless PR isn’t that good a coach…….sorry couldn’t help myself Finny.

Thread starter #25
Deep stuff there. My trust is in Todd and the owners with all that stuff. They are very experienced in business and certainly know a lot more than me.
So, moving on….. another thing I’m looking forward is the Belfast double in February. My 4th in a row. Awesome atmosphere with the odd inflatable sheep bouncing around which completely depletes the Giants fans chant. Can’t wait for that

voth26

Hi all,
Ok, I'm nobody special, just a normal fan of an ice hockey team, a team that has meant a lot to me over the past few years.
We have seen so many posts on here recently regarding the team and re-brand, some positive some negative. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
So, I thought, with the season almost upon us, let share some positives and start this season the way we want it to run. Firstly, I've loved everything about the organisation pre re-brand, the logo, the teams, the management, coaches, the music, most of all the entertainment we receive everytime we visit the arena. So, we have a new arena name, new logo, new brand and likely new music, goal horn etc. Change is essential to progress, we really wouldn't want to become too stagnant. So, the idea of this post - let's all share what we really are looking forward to this season, what we've missed during the off season, the player we are excited about seeing either returning or for the first time. Are we looking forward to Todd introducing the Belfast Giant on the mic by mistake again, Wally paining 88 on his back, joining in to the Bownsy wave, awaiting the new lyrics from Block 13, a visit from our owners and watching them use an air raid siren centre ice....most of all, competing for and maybe even bringing home some silver wear.
On the other hand, maybe share some of you fondest memories from your time supporting our team.
This is in no way a rant, far from it. But lets show our returning players and newcomers that this is the place to be, we are the best fans and most of all, lets make this fun again.
Hi mate, your a devil's fan end of your very welcome here my friend

moggy#9

The IR thing was supposed to balanced out by the limit on the number of signings each team was allowed. If course, when it was inconvenient, Belfast just ignored that. So I guess it would be nice to have transparent rules which are actually enforced.

Pleximan

Jesus christ you are so negative.....
Thank you for your input, I think I'm just being realistic. Over many years of supporting the Devils, ST, away games up and down the country, trips to Europe supporting the Devils, buying shirts and merchandise, I have spent a lot of money supporting the Devils, through successful years and lean years, making the effort to get to the arena in winter weather for home games getting soaked in driving horizontal rain, I have always shown up when others don't, I think I have pretty much experienced it all. Alongside my support for the Devils I also get to as many Cardiff City home games as I can, every year and I was back for the first game of the season today versus Queens Park Rangers. I have bought a lot of Devils merchandise and hockey jerseys over many years and in the last two weeks I have spent nearly £200 in the Cardiff City club shop. Negative? I don't think so.

Last edited:

SteveKing

Sorry Lee, I hadn’t had a chance to see this until now… and now it’ll be you that’s in bed.

For me, seeing coach Russell’s impact on our play is my biggest thing to look forward to. Talking to some players, they are so excited about what he brings and the level of accountability that’s going to be expected of them. Also great to have a bunch of players that openly want that.

Always very excited to see all of the new player. I watch game film and listen to Pete’s rationale on each player but you never really know until they’re on the ice in Devils silks.

oh yah…and I’m super excited about that gorgeous new logo!!

Thanks for a wonderful thread.

Thread starter #36
Thanks for you response Steve!
How can we not be excited going in to the new season. New coach…..and what a coach. To have someone with Pete’s credentials is huge for us. With Pete at the helm I have huge confidence in our success this season. In a few week time we play Belfast home and away in the pre season and have an amazing opportunity to make one hell of a statement. I’m anticipating the best pre season in years. Excited to also welcome the new players who will be hungry to make a mark and the returning players who will continue to build their legacies with the team. Really believe we will get a big year out of Crandall this season. Watched his interview, he’s really fired up.

Ooo……we have a new logo? Ah, what’s it like? *hides under the table*.

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

Jesus christ you are so negative.....
Currently we have 2 pages on each of the threads debating the subject of the up coming season and 26 pages on the 3rd August. Most people are holding back, whilst we all want a spectacular season, there’s enough experience on the Inferno to wait and see.

Thread starter #38
Currently we have 2 pages on each of the threads debating the subject of the up coming season and 26 pages on the 3rd August. Most people are holding back, whilst we all want a spectacular season, there’s enough experience on the Inferno to wait and see.
Seems such a shame that we have only 2 pages of a post asking for positive memories or thoughts of our team doesn’t it. So Jeff, you’ve made many points and are obviously passionate about the Devils so must have some amazing memories that you’ll maybe share with us? What are you looking forward to this season?

lloyd_jeff

Seems such a shame that we have only 2 pages of a post asking for positive memories or thoughts of our team doesn’t it. So Jeff, you’ve made many points and are obviously passionate about the Devils so must have some amazing memories that you’ll maybe share with us? What are you looking forward to this season?
Well played Hockey, don’t care who or what team, I’m a hockey fan. Cardiffs the nearest team, so ideally if Cardiff gets its act together I can spend money on it. Just like any purchase, whether it be a stupid looking logo on a shirt, bad wine, poor quality food, car, furniture whatever, I’m not wasting my money on it, I’ll source elsewhere.

Last edited:
Thread starter #40
Well played Hockey, don’t care who or what team, I’m a hockey fan. Cardiffs the nearest team, so ideally if Cardiff gets its act together I can spend money on it. Just like any purchase, whether it be a stupid looking logo on a shirt, bad wine, poor quality food, car, furniture whatever, I’m not wasting my money on it, I’ll source elsewhere.
Well, seems the EIHL is a good league for you as for me I find the quality of hockey is just getting better and better. For me I’d rather view hockey as an enjoyable form of entertainment rather than a business transaction. Hockey is my escape from the toils of day to day life. I’m always entertained at the arena and have a great time in a great atmosphere whether the Devils win or lose. I’ll remain loyal to the Devils as they are my chosen team (and local team of course). Thanks for your response