2023/2024 Season - Positive Outlooks

Thread starter #1
Hi all,
Ok, I'm nobody special, just a normal fan of an ice hockey team, a team that has meant a lot to me over the past few years.
We have seen so many posts on here recently regarding the team and re-brand, some positive some negative. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
So, I thought, with the season almost upon us, let share some positives and start this season the way we want it to run. Firstly, I've loved everything about the organisation pre re-brand, the logo, the teams, the management, coaches, the music, most of all the entertainment we receive everytime we visit the arena. So, we have a new arena name, new logo, new brand and likely new music, goal horn etc. Change is essential to progress, we really wouldn't want to become too stagnant. So, the idea of this post - let's all share what we really are looking forward to this season, what we've missed during the off season, the player we are excited about seeing either returning or for the first time. Are we looking forward to Todd introducing the Belfast Giant on the mic by mistake again, Wally paining 88 on his back, joining in to the Bownsy wave, awaiting the new lyrics from Block 13, a visit from our owners and watching them use an air raid siren centre ice....most of all, competing for and maybe even bringing home some silver wear.
On the other hand, maybe share some of you fondest memories from your time supporting our team.
This is in no way a rant, far from it. But lets show our returning players and newcomers that this is the place to be, we are the best fans and most of all, lets make this fun again.

MA18

I am very much looking forward to the next season.
It feels like a long off season this year - only thing I associate the season starting with summer being over and we haven’t had one this year.

Some of the new signings look like they have something to offer.
The club has changed direction slightly and gone hard after cooperate sponsors and therefore money so I’m interested to see if that has the desired effect.

moggy#9

Peter Russell’s impact. Very much looking forward to seeing that and how we shape up. I hope he has the time to embed his hockey philosophy.
Agreed. It'll be refreshing to see, not only organised special teams, but also a mentality of possession hockey. From what I've seen of PR with GB, he always seems prepared and adapts tactics as necessary.

In terms of new players, I'm excited to see booth. If he's as good as is claimed, he could make a massive difference to us.

I'm looking forward to seeing our D pairings and how Pete coaches them. Also, where on the netminder 'sanity scale' will Booth sit? Will he be more towards the Bowns/Murdy end of the scale or will he have any 'Carruth like' tendencies?

lloyd_jeff

I’m looking forward to all of it, positive changes that some needed to be done, others done better and hopefully that’ll continue throughout the season. If change benefits everyone equally then there’s nothing to complain about. That is ultimately the goal in life.

lloyd_jeff

Agreed. It'll be refreshing to see, not only organised special teams, but also a mentality of possession hockey. From what I've seen of PR with GB, he always seems prepared and adapts tactics as necessary.

In terms of new players, I'm excited to see booth. If he's as good as is claimed, he could make a massive difference to us.
If we are allowed a wish, mine would be for change in mentality towards players who either are injured or not performing.

kingmo19.1

Hi all,
Ok, I'm nobody special, just a normal fan of an ice hockey team, a team that has meant a lot to me over the past few years.
We have seen so many posts on here recently regarding the team and re-brand, some positive some negative. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
So, I thought, with the season almost upon us, let share some positives and start this season the way we want it to run. Firstly, I've loved everything about the organisation pre re-brand, the logo, the teams, the management, coaches, the music, most of all the entertainment we receive everytime we visit the arena. So, we have a new arena name, new logo, new brand and likely new music, goal horn etc. Change is essential to progress, we really wouldn't want to become too stagnant. So, the idea of this post - let's all share what we really are looking forward to this season, what we've missed during the off season, the player we are excited about seeing either returning or for the first time. Are we looking forward to Todd introducing the Belfast Giant on the mic by mistake again, Wally paining 88 on his back, joining in to the Bownsy wave, awaiting the new lyrics from Block 13, a visit from our owners and watching them use an air raid siren centre ice....most of all, competing for and maybe even bringing home some silver wear.
On the other hand, maybe share some of you fondest memories from your time supporting our team.
This is in no way a rant, far from it. But lets show our returning players and newcomers that this is the place to be, we are the best fans and most of all, lets make this fun again.
Lee calaway - be more positive about yourself ok! That first sentence almost made me cry! Everyone is special - yourself included.

Mooney#16

If we are allowed a wish, mine would be for change in mentality towards players who either are injured or not performing.
I understand wanting a more ruthless streak with underperforming players but what change in mentality would you like to injured players. If they play fully committed and unfortunately get injured surely you honour the contract else why should they play fully committed. Having a rep as a club that honours contracts is surely one of the appealing things especially if considering recruiting guys with families who would like stability for kids in school etc.

I saw myself last season when Brodie DuPont didn’t get his contract renewed for this season the worst part was what it meant for his family. His kids loved the school and he hated telling them they would have to leave. Devils allowing him to close out the season and honour his contract was a far classier thing to do than simply gas him. I will call out Todd for the occasional snaffou but that did show he treats the guys as people and not commodities which goes along way and is not necessarily a sign of weakness some might see it as.

All i want this season is the players to perform on the ice every single game and show commitment like the fans do. i think PR will demand this and will deal with the players that dont immediatly where as previous years the players took liberties.

Do i like the new logo? Am I going to buy any merchandise with the new logo on it, NO.
It is not going to stop me turning up and supporting the team.

Thread starter #14
Lee calaway - be more positive about yourself ok! That first sentence almost made me cry! Everyone is special - yourself included.
Haha, thanks for that, was trying not to put myself on a pedestal but I'll take that. I'm special
I've watched Cody Donaghey play in the ECHL, we have one hell of a player there. I'm really excited to see what he brings to Cardiff. Callum Booth is a huge body and from what I've seen he's quite a character.
Feel really good about our team this season

lloyd_jeff

I understand wanting a more ruthless streak with underperforming players but what change in mentality would you like to injured players. If they play fully committed and unfortunately get injured surely you honour the contract else why should they play fully committed. Having a rep as a club that honours contracts is surely one of the appealing things especially if considering recruiting guys with families who would like stability for kids in school etc.

I saw myself last season when Brodie DuPont didn’t get his contract renewed for this season the worst part was what it meant for his family. His kids loved the school and he hated telling them they would have to leave. Devils allowing him to close out the season and honour his contract was a far classier thing to do than simply gas him. I will call out Todd for the occasional snaffou but that did show he treats the guys as people and not commodities which goes along way and is not necessarily a sign of weakness some might see it as.
It’s not ruthless, it’s the nature of the sport, I’m not talking about injuries easily treated within weeks, what needs to change is having player/s out for several months, which costs results, pressures the team & gives a poor performance for paying customers, who like it or not expect to be entertained, that’s way we give our money.
As for Dupont and his family, that’s their lifestyle choice, nobody owes you anything for those choices. Frankly if Todd & Dupont couldn’t foresee the issues and prepare for that, it’s pretty selfish and nieve. As in any career you make decisions based on various factors, I’m trying not to come across as hard, it’s just that the career Dupont chose, his partner chose him and they collectively chose to have a family, in a career that doesn’t give long term settled stability & security. Todd didn’t pay wages out of his pocket, he allocated them from income, basically we all paid for that.