2014/2015 Player movement rumours

Ocko

I think Max and Blight could definitely do a job on this team. Comments are maybe a little harsh based on their previous roles.

Having that extra import allows us to have a bit more depth. Max and Blight if the budget allowed would do a great job as a second or third line winger. They might not be first line players but they are still quality, experienced players and are still good for a point a game. Sentiment aside too.

Bringing sentiment into it; there is no player I would rather see take to the ice in the new arena (if his body holds up) than Max. He's really embraced the city, country and life here and has given everything for the Devils over the years even though he would've undoubtedly had bigger offers elsewhere. Hasn't he now been here as long as Vother was? I don't think we'll appreciate what a quality player and servant he was to the club until he's gone.

Finny

Another year and a half and Max has a great chance of getting into the clubs all-time top 10 list of scorers. Which when you consider that everyone else in that list played in the Premier League would be a remarkable achievement.

Ocko said:
I think Max and Blight could definitely do a job on this team. Comments are maybe a little harsh based on their previous roles.

Having that extra import allows us to have a bit more depth. Max and Blight if the budget allowed would do a great job as a second or third line winger. They might not be first line players but they are still quality, experienced players and are still good for a point a game. Sentiment aside too.

Bringing sentiment into it; there is no player I would rather see take to the ice in the new arena (if his body holds up) than Max. He's really embraced the city, country and life here and has given everything for the Devils over the years even though he would've undoubtedly had bigger offers elsewhere. Hasn't he now been here as long as Vother was? I don't think we'll appreciate what a quality player and servant he was to the club until he's gone.

I think Blight has a point to prove after being 'cut', last years treatment of players obviously affected his game. The season before he was the import carried the team along with the battling Brits after Mac was injured and was key in getting the team to the play offs.

A season of Blight with a point to prove could get exciting

Gazza272

A yes for Max and a no for Blight for me.

Blight goes missing far too much in the season. He did as rightly pointed out have a good end of year in the Braehead series, but that is exactly why I wouldnt re sign him. He should have been producing that for a higher percentage of the season.

Max has a similar problem, but his physical edge and location to the city means financially it makes sense to bring in a guy who may at times show inconsistency.

voth26

im not sure i would have max back if im honest, sentiment aside he's not as consistant as maybe 2/3 seasons ago, he to goes missing in games maybe it was high lighted more by last seasons farce i dont know, if he is back i will support him as a devils player but if he is not i wont be to disappointed either just my view.

DevilDom

Whilst i wouldn't be disappointed to see Max, Blight or Plumpton back i do think we sometimes get overly attached to players in Cardiff. All are decent but perhaps with the exception of Max due to his locality not irreplaceable. There is IMO a danger in signing up to many of last years team which even taking into consideration the off ice events never really clicked often enough for me.

Koop11

‘It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day’ so I think we should be considering new faces. The problems of last season are well documented and will no doubt have had an impact of the guys who were icing. However, I think we are at risk of re-signing the majority of last year’s 9th placed team.

Sentiment/friendships with players’ means we can be blinded somewhat when it comes to who we think should sign/re-sign for the team. The fact that fans can build rapport with players is in part what makes this sport so unique in this country. That is a good thing. However, it can be a slight downfall as we lose sight of who is actually best for the team.

On the face of it, players like Blight last season were doing alright statistically but performance wise were very lack lustred. Plumpton was a real entertainer, a character we have not seen at the club for some time. He single handedly won us games at home against Nottingham and Sheffield by getting into the oppositions head. However, doing this for only several games a season may well cost him a chance of a new contract.

Max is always an interesting one. You can’t teach pure talent but you can install work ethic. The latter is what has made Max create some divide with fans in more recent years. It’s the old ‘Max is a cheap import’ line has often been used. I think we all agree we’ve probably seen Max’ best years. Whether he can still have enough impact to warrant another contract is to be seen.

One thing important to remember is that everyone is replaceable.

A general comment rather than one aimed at you Koop11 but you have summed up what several have said in one of your points, How many games do you think we lost because the ongoings off ice got into our own teams head?

From another point of view, how many people think we had a 9th place team last year?

A lot of people, and not just those with red tints to the view expected the Devils to challenge for silverware at the start of last season, I don't think I heard a single devils fan say we have no chance winning anything before the start of the season.

Perhaps we should look a little deeper as to why player X didn't live up to expectations before casting them off? After all one player we brought back for last season that a lot questioned was Tyson, and look how his year turned out.

Finny

For me, the early loss of LaCosta cost us dearly and we struggled for consistency.

Just as we started to get the team fully fit and competitive again, we had Adams being given a month to get into the top 4 when it was statistically impossible.

He still managed to get us on a good winning run though, at which point Pope decided he wanted to take some of the credit so installed himself as bench coach. Then Adams wasn't coach, then he was, then he was playing, then he wasn't. Then we had players told they were signing contract extensions, then they were sacked. Then they had to leave the country every couple of months because their VISA's had been messed up. Then we had a new import every day, followed by our acting coach going on holiday, then back, then off to the Olympics. Then a new coach and lots of players released.

And during all that most of the players weren't even getting paid on time. If it all.

I'm amazed that the players stayed as long as they did and didn't just all walk out in January. We had IMO a team that should have finished top 4 or 5 but had so many negative influences it was impossible for them to perform at their full potential.

James

Administrator
Finny said:
For me, the early loss of LaCosta cost us dearly and we struggled for consistency.

Just as we started to get the team fully fit and competitive again, we had Adams being given a month to get into the top 4 when it was statistically impossible.

He still managed to get us on a good winning run though, at which point Pope decided he wanted to take some of the credit so installed himself as bench coach. Then Adams wasn't coach, then he was, then he was playing, then he wasn't. Then we had players told they were signing contract extensions, then they were sacked. Then they had to leave the country every couple of months because their VISA's had been messed up. Then we had a new import every day, followed by our acting coach going on holiday, then back, then off to the Olympics. Then a new coach and lots of players released.

And during all that most of the players weren't even getting paid on time. If it all.

I'm amazed that the players stayed as long as they did and didn't just all walk out in January. We had IMO a team that should have finished top 4 or 5 but had so many negative influences it was impossible for them to perform at their full potential.
There has to be a movie in that somewhere, possibly starring Will Ferrell.

Koop11

toy_car_uk said:
A general comment rather than one aimed at you Koop11 but you have summed up what several have said in one of your points, How many games do you think we lost because the ongoings off ice got into our own teams head?

From another point of view, how many people think we had a 9th place team last year?

A lot of people, and not just those with red tints to the view expected the Devils to challenge for silverware at the start of last season, I don't think I heard a single devils fan say we have no chance winning anything before the start of the season.

Perhaps we should look a little deeper as to why player X didn't live up to expectations before casting them off? After all one player we brought back for last season that a lot questioned was Tyson, and look how his year turned out.
Very good point about Tyson Marsh. I was one of the ones who wasn’t overly concerned about whether he returned or not. In his case, returning from an injury hit season allowed us to see the real Tyson Marsh who proved why he was Cardiff’s MVP. I was happily proved wrong and I am very pleased to see Tyson return for season 3. Marsh is an example of the paid off gambles we have taken with regard to injury hit players (both Mark Smith’s, Max, Faulkner, etc)

I agree that the ongoings off the ice will have had an impact on performances but not everyone’s. Tyson Marsh, as the example we’re using, proved defiant in the face of a very unsettled club off the ice. Matthew Myers was chopped around lines more than any other player and had to watch is younger brother sacked unjustifiably. Yet despite all that I though Myers was our hardest working players on the team.

I don’t wish to come across harsh. The likes of Blight have proved before what they are capable of. I just think we are in the position for the first time since being in the BBT that we don’t have to gamble on players who have had injuries, slowing down in their career , have been unsettled for whatever reason. We have an opportunity now in this new era to bring in new faces.

Last’s year’s team wasn’t as bad as it finished. However to an ignorant fan or sponsor, the record shows a 9th placed team that didn’t make the playoffs. We die hards all know La Costa’s injury was the start of a lot of pain for the team. I’m not sure how many more games we lost because of the off ice drama. Nobody does. Probably quite a few no doubt.

I’m just looking at this from another perspective. There is a new management in charge. A new coach at the helm. I’m think we’d be sending a confusing message if we were to bring back players we’d fired or who didn’t have a great season, regardless of the circumstances of their performances.

Mooney#16

Again the key is chemistry. Last years team at the start of the year looked very good on paper but despite some outside factors that team also had big problems with chemistry and inconsistency that hampered them ever climbing the table. As much as they all got along there was something very wrong in how they all pulled for each other and in the same direction. The lack of willingness to stick up for each other being the most telling tale.

As I constantly refer to the world record team had it in spades. Matzka, Max and Pelle stacked up points but the year after we had Matzka and Max and Pierce was supposed to slot in that line. It never worked by no one fault but then all three players start looking like a dip in form.

A coach can assemble a team on skill and assumption but the chemistry part is mainly luck. If Blight found two guys he clicked with they would all look awesome but if not they all look poor. If Lord thinks he has a line that will click the bingo but otherwise no point forcing it as you just get three guys low on confidence who can very easily effect the entire team performance.

My problem with Blighter last year was his defensive play and how weak it was. He was shocking in his own zone the majority of the year and really gave up some clangers so through not a lack of effort but mentally switching off and losing assignments he was costing the team. If he is energised and mentally switched on then you prob won't find teams carrying a better dual national but a couple of slips and I personally would be pulling the trigger early doors before it escalated.

Finny

The increase in import numbers and a British netminder in Bowns does allow us a bit more flexibility in our recruitment though.

Looking at who we've signed so far my guess is that we'll go along the lines of:

Marsh - Import
Richardson - Import
Import - (Batch?)

Haddad - Culligan - Import
Lord - Myers - Morrisette
Import - Import - Import
Brit (Batch?) - Piggott - Jones

Assuming my Maths is correct, we could still sign Birbraer and Blight and still have space for two more import forwards. Plumton as that 5th import defenceman with a big physical player alongside Marsh and a stay-at-home Dman in the Mark Smith mould alongside Richie.