2013/14 fixtures

Chris said:
What a difference having Adams and Francis at the fixtures meeting makes :D
Agreed. No nasty concentrations of mid-week games. I think I counted 4 all year. A real result for the Jacks.

Hopefully Uni will be on Thursdays this year! :)

Finny said:
So what's the quickest way to get these fixtures onto my iPhone?
I'll add all of the fixtures to the Red Army Runners calendar over the next few days with details of home, away and most importantly the games that Red Army Travel will be running buses to.

Instructions are on our website www.RedArmyRunners.com

The calendar works with iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC (Outlook), some Android, Nokia and will update automatically with fixture changes etc.

If you already have our calendar installed on your phone you don't need to do anything, your phone will update automatically over the next few days.

For other phones that did not support iCal such as Blackberry and Samsung Android, the easiest way seemed to be to bookmark the Red Army Runners calendar page in your internet browser.

Other Android phones would work but you had to subscribe to the Red Army Runners calendar from your google account on a PC/Mac. For some reason you couldn't do it from your phone/tablet.

If you find another way for these phones, or if Samsung's now work with iCal, please let me know how you did it so I can update our website.

Where possible I will add end of period scores and final scores to the calendar during the game.

I will also add NIHL 1 & 2, Under 18's, Comets and sledge hockey games to the calendar once these have been sent to me.

Gerald.

osh

1st league game in Fife. It's very important to get off to a good start so I wonder will they do the usual for the team i.e. travel up by coach ( how many hours ? ) play the game and then immediately travel back to Cardiff !! Or, do they fly up, stay overnight and fly back ( much more refreshed ) and in better condition for the home game on Sunday. Flights and accommodation about £150/£160 a head plus transport costs to and from Edinburgh/Kircaldy return. I wonder?!

ASHIPP

osh said:
1st league game in Fife. It's very important to get off to a good start so I wonder will they do the usual for the team i.e. travel up by coach ( how many hours ? ) play the game and then immediately travel back to Cardiff !! Or, do they fly up, stay overnight and fly back ( much more refreshed ) and in better condition for the home game on Sunday. Flights and accommodation about £150/£160 a head plus transport costs to and from Edinburgh/Kircaldy return. I wonder?!
An horrendously long trip there and back to face Giants the next day is not an ideal openining weekend. Let's hope the Club gives the team the best chance to get the early results they need. Devils teams in the past have had a poor season start .

With so many early games being CC they will want to be in their stride by then.

Finny

I think the players have said they prefer to go up the day before, stay overnight on the Friday, play the game Saturday then travel straight back so they get home Sunday morning?

osh

Finny said:
I think the players have said they prefer to go up the day before, stay overnight on the Friday, play the game Saturday then travel straight back so they get home Sunday morning?

Not so. The many players I have spoken to would much prefer to fly up, stay overnight and return refreshed as possible the following day. Obviously, it all comes down to cost. If there is only a thousand quid extra in flying up etc, maybe the club should travel that way and try and get off to the best possible start to the season.

Have Hope#35

Finny said:
Stu said last season in a blog that the team prefer to travel on the bus as it gives them more team bonding time! (Agreed he could have been told to say that as cost is an issue)

osh

Finny said:
But that would be very expensive osh?

You're correct. Agreed, but for a possible extra £1000 or £1500, it may be worth it . We play Belfast on the Sunday, and I bet they won't be travelling over on the ferry by coach and then travelling for 12 hours to play. In Cardiff. I'm saying this as I feel the players benefit from as little road legs as possible, and also I would like us to start the season with any advantage we can get.

Finny

In the end it's all down to finances though. It would be nice to fly via private jet and stay in a 5 star hotel, but we're not the ones who decide where to draw the line financially.

osh

Finny said:
In the end it's all down to finances though. It would be nice to fly via private jet and stay in a 5 star hotel, but we're not the ones who decide where to draw the line financially.

True, but very exaggerated statement from you old foe. I've already stated what it can cost to fly and stay, that's why I think it may only be another £1500 to do it that way. No fantasy 5 star hotels, or private jets, just fact on those costs. Anyway, lets wait and see what PR decides eh.

Have Hope#35

osh said:
Finny said:

True, but very exaggerated statement from you old foe. I've already stated what it can cost to fly and stay, that's why I think it may only be another £1500 to do it that way. No fantasy 5 star hotels, or private jets, just fact on those costs. Anyway, lets wait and see what PR decides eh.
They will go on the Coach... Pretty sure we don't need to wait and see what happens! If PR was prepared to spend an extra £1500 for every game in Scotland then I'd be disappointed that he hadn't spent it on the Roster instead!

osh

Have Hope#35 said:
osh said:
Finny said:

They will go on the Coach... Pretty sure we don't need to wait and see what happens! If PR was prepared to spend an extra £1500 for every game in Scotland then I'd be disappointed that he hadn't spent it on the Roster instead!

You really should read the post. I have not suggested they travel by plane etc for every game. I have merely said that in my opinion, in order to try and ensure we get off to the best possible start to the season, PR may consider this the best way for the team on the opening weekend. However, you are probably right, we will travel by coach. Over and out on this one!

Ger-Devils

osh said:
The biggest issue is cost of kit bags going on flights. They're not cheap. They couldn't get every weekend spot on. It does happen from time to time.

I priced them up last season for the club and the costs are unreal. You know when the team fly in to Belfast City airport- the bus to the hotel is shockingly expensive for a 2minute journey!