Flames Vs Devils - League - 5th Dec 21

tim78

Lord produced but that took time to build up. We are back at square one after COVID and this team has produced but are hitting those bumps in finding what works well... And that is passion, confidence and relentlessness.

From the Lord days the critism from me was over releance in certain players in the early days (before we went 4 lines) , Skalade isn't taking that approach and its fantastic to see Duggan and Davies both out there together killing penalties well.

0 point weekends weren't common but I don't think we're any worse off to the start of this season as per normal.

august04 2.0

Lord produced but that took time to build up. We are back at square one after COVID and this team has produced but are hitting those bumps in finding what works well... And that is passion, confidence and relentlessness.

From the Lord days the critism from me was over releance in certain players in the early days (before we went 4 lines) , Skalade isn't taking that approach and its fantastic to see Duggan and Davies both out there together killing penalties well.

0 point weekends weren't common but I don't think we're any worse off to the start of this season as per normal.
Did it? That first season with Lord and the new ownership at the helm was some of the best hockey I’ve ever seen in 35 years of supporting the Devils and certainly one of the most enjoyable. Capped off up with a CC win and we probably would have won the league too if we hadn’t celebrated so hard after the CC final. This team is a far cry from that one.

tim78

Yes, that is my opinion and therefore what I said.
I'm sure I recall seeing games that season with far less passsion than now.

Was that the drumming after the cc final or you refering too the 8-0 panthers game, what about a few Coventry away games that season when Haddad was the only player that turned up.... Its all perspective.

august04 2.0

Was that the drumming after the cc final or you refering too the 8-0 panthers game, what about a few Coventry away games that season when Haddad was the only player that turned up.... Its all perspective.
Once that team got in the swing of things after a slow start, they were very impressive. And they played with plenty of character, skill and fight and had each others backs. I know what I’d rather watch. Each to their own though.

RedDevil17

Say what you want but even Bayley Harewood has shown more effort and fight than Brodie DuPont in the limited amount of games he’s played and he’s only 18 years of age. Give him a chance see what he can offer…

Last edited:

Ocko

We lost one game away in Coventry all season that year out of 7.

The 8-0 against the Panthers was 2016/17 season, the one we won the league.

It’s not perspective, it’s getting it completely wrong.

For what it’s worth, 14/15 was my favourite season. The team got it.

Disagree. Bit harsh for a guy who has had very limited minutes, and a hard working lad with lots of passion. A few players could take a leaf out of his book when it comes to hard work…
<DELETED> next joke

Please don't throw personal insults - Admin

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmy snels

So out of the past 5 league games that now makes it:

2 even strength goals
3 empty net goals
9 powerplay goals

From these past 5 games that's:

0 points for Brodie Dupont, only import forward not to pick up a goal or even a single point.
0 goals from a single British player.
0 goals from a single defenceman.

Out of those 14 goals scored:

7 goals from our 1st line forwards
4 goals from Brandon Mcnally
1 each from Sanford, Cox, Lammon

The stats are damning. No one has said it but signing ben davies instead of myres hasnt helped our size of net front present either. I have no idea why we went with such a small bunch

Mazzoak

Most previous seasons we’ve started strong, been dire come Christmas and played catch up going into the New Year, with defence being either too much or too little, Bowns being the one keepin us in it. No physicality, even Jimmy Snels was commenting how we were being knocked around and he was questioning going to games because of boring hockey.

Im seeing and reading the same criticism, only this time no account being made for the situation........

jenks33

If you look at our last 12 games in all competitions we have scored 1 goal or fewer in 5 of those games. That’s just not good enough for a team hoping to challenge for the league. As I mentioned yesterday it’s very boring and it must now be a real concern for Todd and the owners. Attendances are great at the moment but that will soon change if this continues. Nothing worse than a boring hockey team

Slartibartfast

The sad thing is that earlier in the season this looked like one of the most exciting and entertaining teams yet. Yes there was little physicality but the chemistry, speed and goal scoring was something to behold. Then other teams got wise, started crowding the slot and the scoring stopped. When that happens scoring pretty goals is almost impossible. You need physical guys in front of the net and snipers who will pick up the rebounds. (like most of Steelers goals saturday).
But its not just the lack of physicality. The chemistry has gone also. We used to transition beautifully through the neutral zone but now opposition forecheck seems to completely disrupt it.
At the beginning of the season it looked like all the goals were going to come from the second line but now its the first or powerplay lines.
I think Sandford is an amazing player and works really hard but his line lacks the chemistry that it had earlier in the season and its holding him back. Cox and Sandford are still both in the top 20 scorers. Dupont is 65th so its not hard to see where the problem is.
I think this is fixable though. We have a good powerplay, good PK and 4 four players in the top 20 league scoring (which is the same as most other teams). Fixing that second line could help a lot. Just use lines 3 and 3.5 as a checking line and let 1 and 2 do the scoring which has always been the way.

Last edited:

Rempel16

Did it? That first season with Lord and the new ownership at the helm was some of the best hockey I’ve ever seen in 35 years of supporting the Devils and certainly one of the most enjoyable. Capped off up with a CC win and we probably would have won the league too if we hadn’t celebrated so hard after the CC final. This team is a far cry from that one.
This for me also.
Lord's first team brought it every single night.

E.D.S.

I'm not sure they brought it every night. I seem to recall similar conversations about a lack of effort and being bullied etc but I get the point. I certainly didn't get the feeling that we had a run this long without the intensity that we were used to. At the end of the day, we've been spoilt. We can't benchmark this team against that era as it isn't that team. Year on year we tweaked the team bringing in low numbers of new players and kept a core. This is a totally different side and style of play. Doesn't mean we can excuse a lack of effort. I don't buy any nonsense about external factors - COVID, Brexit etc - as they apply to everyone. Effort and commitment should be a minimum. Something isn't quite right here.

What always concerned me at the start of this team was the fact we had a young Brit staring for the first line and doing really well. With the greatest of respect to Waller - who has simply been superb this year - he shouldn't have been leading the team. That was my first red flag. Then came the size of the team and the style we were playing. Getting battered every night against the boards and turning over the puck with little retention and cycling. Lastly when you add in the fact we have a very aggressive offence with one D man being encouraged to join the rush this invariably left a gaping hole at the back exposing us to 2 v1s as we would cough the puck up too easily behind the goal/against the boards.

For me when you have the tactics, style of play and the style of players not aligned there will only ever be so much that you can achieve and there's only so much accountability that the players can take for that.

Kevlar68

One difference I have seen this season is we don't have any player who sling shots around the back of net at speed creating problems on oppositions defence. Trying to defend a player coming at speed skating backwards or on the turn is a nightmare. Fournier was amazing at that.
The transition between defence and attack has also been poor.
We're to easy to defend against.

bb1

Personally I think we are fine with the forwards we have , they’ve scored and will continue to score. But it seems to me that our defence is the problem look at how many odd man rushes they give up a game between 3 to 6 maybe , it doesn’t matter how many goals you score if your defence is leaving gaping holes it’s hard to keep scoring. Louis and batch are our best d so far but I’d partner either one of them with O’Connor at least you have one stay at home d man on either d pairings
I agree our defence hasn't been rock solid but we have always had d men who pushed up ice and got caught out....only difference was is that the likes of Hotham and Fournier ended up being in our top 3 points scorers every season.

Our D is constantly under pressure as our forwards can't seem to retain the puck in the offensive zone. We don't have anybody on the boards who can hold the puck up and wait for support. We get pushed off it easily and boom we are on the defensive straight away. It would also help if we could score 5 on 5 and not just on the PP. If we scored more our D could relax a bit more as could Carruth.

There are problems all over the ice but for me if you had 2 guys like Haddad and Martin then I doubt we would even be having these debates on the thread.

Hockeymad

I have never liked the steelers but you can never fault there winning attitude.

If a player do not perform out the door they go and new recruits are here with in 2 weeks.

Devils are to loyal for to long and this season will cost us.

Make the changes now we still have a chance otherwise be happy with 3rd 4th 5th place finish.

bb1

I'm not sure they brought it every night. I seem to recall similar conversations about a lack of effort and being bullied etc but I get the point. I certainly didn't get the feeling that we had a run this long without the intensity that we were used to. At the end of the day, we've been spoilt. We can't benchmark this team against that era as it isn't that team. Year on year we tweaked the team bringing in low numbers of new players and kept a core. This is a totally different side and style of play. Doesn't mean we can excuse a lack of effort. I don't buy any nonsense about external factors - COVID, Brexit etc - as they apply to everyone. Effort and commitment should be a minimum. Something isn't quite right here.

What always concerned me at the start of this team was the fact we had a young Brit staring for the first line and doing really well. With the greatest of respect to Waller - who has simply been superb this year - he shouldn't have been leading the team. That was my first red flag. Then came the size of the team and the style we were playing. Getting battered every night against the boards and turning over the puck with little retention and cycling. Lastly when you add in the fact we have a very aggressive offence with one D man being encouraged to join the rush this invariably left a gaping hole at the back exposing us to 2 v1s as we would cough the puck up too easily behind the goal/against the boards.

For me when you have the tactics, style of play and the style of players not aligned there will only ever be so much that you can achieve and there's only so much accountability that the players can take for that.
You recall conversations about us being bullied???

Just a recap: Hotham, Hendrix, Clarkson, Batch, Marsh, Lord, Mychan......We were the closest to the Danbury Thrashers we've seen in years BUT with the ability to play and win. The team chemistry and banter was incredible between players.

Hendo brought the best out of Josh batch and we punished teams when they came to the BBT and the place errupted every night, so not sure I can recall any bullying that went on to be honest.

E.D.S.

You recall conversations about us being bullied???

Just a recap: Hotham, Hendrix, Clarkson, Batch, Marsh, Lord, Mychan......We were the closest to the Danbury Thrashers we've seen in years BUT with the ability to play and win. The team chemistry and banter was incredible between players.

Hendo brought the best out of Josh batch and we punished teams when they came to the BBT and the place errupted every night, so not sure I can recall any bullying that went on to be honest.
A simple check of the forum would show it. I’m talking Andrew Lords era in IAW and towards the end of the BBT. The team were constantly being questioned, even to the point that it was suggested that players were being told they couldn’t get involved and weren’t allowed to stick up for the team - Borderleau and Louis were frequently mentioned - so yes that’s exactly what I’m saying. Not saying I agreed with what was being written. I’m saying that is what was called out on here. Take a look.