Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

moggy#9

Biggest announcement will be the other NM, whether that's tonight or later in the off-season. That signing will be key as to whether we are going to challenge for any silverware. And if it's an underwhelming signing then the pressure on Bowns to have an incredible season will be huge.
If Crandall were back and bowns was number one, I'd see nothing but mediocrity this season.

Biggest announcement will be the other NM, whether that's tonight or later in the off-season. That signing will be key as to whether we are going to challenge for any silverware. And if it's an underwhelming signing then the pressure on Bowns to have an incredible season will be huge.
Worst kept secret, it's Callum Booth. Personally I am excited. Looks a big body

jenks33

If we could have the Crandall of 2 seasons ago, I would take that he is a very talented player who to me was dragged down by others.
I don’t disagree with you that the Crandall of two years ago proved he’s a good player. Personally I don’t think he was as brilliant as some people are making out in that first season but he proved he’s a good player at this level. Where I struggle with people having sympathy for Crandall’s form last year is he’s an experienced player who’s been a pro since 2014 and has played around Europe. No doubt one of our higher earners as well. You simply need those players to perform and be consistent and over the 70+ games in all comps last season I don’t remember him going though a spell of even 5 or 6 games where he looked in great form. I thought his body language was very average at times too. It’s unfair to just blame other players and I’m sure teams like Dundee, Fife and Manchester would love to have these players that “dragged Crandall down”. It’s an easy excuse.
I’ve got sympathy for inexperienced players or players that are playing overseas for the first time but not really for players like Reid, Crandall etc. I’m sure the expectations were for Crandall to have another 50+ league points and to finish on 36 points was a massive let down. Time to move on.

SteveKing

Looking forward to the Summit later today. Lots of nw things to discuss - with the team but also with the league as a whole. I feel like we’ve upped our production game this year so we’ll see if you agree!

I’ll come on and chat about the signings here. Some really big additions to the club To be announced today. My favourite part of this year’s team is that when I asked coach Russell who he thinks will lead us in points this year, he couldn’t decide amongst many player.

The beauty of sport. You put all of the plans in place but you never really know and so many unforeseen things can totally change the end result!

ASHIPP

Worst kept secret, it's Callum Booth. Personally I am excited. Looks a big body
Let's hope if it's Callum he gets the chance to play a balanced number of games vs Bowns. He clearly has potential and also experience at many levels.....but seems to have played fewer games in recent seasons. Is this because he was injured, or was he the No2 goalie at those clubs?

We all know PR loves Bowns....would sincerely hope there is a realistic approach to who plays the games this season. If it's a tandem, it should be so, rather than No1 goalie and a backup.

moggy#9

Let's hope if it's Callum he gets the chance to play a balanced number of games vs Bowns. He clearly has potential and also experience at many levels.....but seems to have played fewer games in recent seasons. Is this because he was injured, or was he the No2 goalie at those clubs?

We all know PR loves Bowns....would sincerely hope there is a realistic approach to who plays the games this season. If it's a tandem, it should be so, rather than No1 goalie and a backup.
If it is Callum booth, i think he has dual nationality, so may get bright into the GB team. Of course PR is going to like bowns as he's the best of the current GB bunch. That doesn't however mean that there aren't better goalies available, and if bowns is considered poor number one I think we'll have problems.

The_Stick_

If it is Booth, I’m almost positive that he will get a good amount of games. A goalie of his standard wouldn’t come to the UK to play 20% of games

He won't be coming to the UK to play second fiddle to Bownsy.

But the difference these days, is they are a tandem. There may be a coaches choice to have for some big games but other than that they share the load
It has to be fluid, obviously both play games early doors but once a NM hits form it's a brave coach to remove an in form goalie from the team

Devils86

Looking forward to the Summit later today. Lots of nw things to discuss - with the team but also with the league as a whole. I feel like we’ve upped our production game this year so we’ll see if you agree!

I’ll come on and chat about the signings here. Some really big additions to the club To be announced today. My favourite part of this year’s team is that when I asked coach Russell who he thinks will lead us in points this year, he couldn’t decide amongst many player.

The beauty of sport. You put all of the plans in place but you never really know and so many unforeseen things can totally change the end result!
Great work Steve et al. Just checking, did I miss the stuff about the league? Also interested as to what plans have changed...maybe Mosey isn't a Devil after all? Or maybe the plan for Marvin to retire into the police has changed, and he's back lol

What would be a great announcement to end off-season on would be Gleason for 24/25 ;)

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #680