Ben O’Connor released

Status
Not open for further replies.

osh

Not surprised to see him leave and don’t know - or wish to speculate why - he has at this time. However, we never saw anything here like the O’Connor who had been a very good Brit at club and International level in past years. It must have been difficult for him coming here, but full respect to him for doing so especially when he would know he was going to get a lot of stick irrespective of how he played. The very fact he came here and did his best ( no player goes out to play poorly despite what many on here have posted over the past months ) I wish him well and good luck wherever you go BO’C.

CaldicotDevil

Think that statement means a fallout with club or certain players..
Agreed, the fact the statement was so brief means it was a sudden thing. I think if the club had someone lined up then they would’ve written more than 2 sentences thanking BOC for his efforts.

Personally I’d be trying to get Jesse Craige, he was unreal at Guildford and currently without a club. Also Yann Sauve is just playing in the LNAH, if we can land him that’ll be an upgrade on McNulty.

Slartibartfast

Im sorry how it turned out but I think its the right decision. I was so pleased when we signed him because he was great when at his peak but he has been disappointing. When you keep making the same mistakes you aint going to be around long even in a club as nice as Cardiff. (Im assuming it was a club decision not BOCs). I guess any decision on a replacement will be left to after Monday when we will know if Drakeford has pissed on our season or not.

terry hunt

We do have Hendrikx on site i dont know how fit he is but he might do a temporary job.
Both the Hothams appear to be active or at least not reported as retired

moggy#9

Shame that it never worked out. Very strange signing in the first place though in my opinion.
The thing is that the warning signs were there. Sheffield fans criticised him, and he'd previously been gased by a European club. The chl exposed him and once that happened it was obvious that other eihl clubs would look for his loose passes.

ASHIPP

How about a straight trade to Panthers for Myers! That would be a nice Xmas present!
Steelers had the best of BOC. Devils had the worst of him. A strange signing in the first place. A defensive liability I hate to say and makes it even more important that British players who are signed are performing well. Even Steelers fans had fallen out of love with his contribution.

Now, if we want a player who earns his keep..... when Panthers' Covid restrictions are over, Todd could play a blinder and bring Matthew Myers home where he belongs, at Cardiff Devils. A classy veteran who still 'has it' and knows how to boss the show. Oh, and make him Captain too.

jenks33

The thing is that the warning signs were there. Sheffield fans criticised him, and he'd previously been gased by a European club. The chl exposed him and once that happened it was obvious that other eihl clubs would look for his loose passes.
I’d have happily taken him 5 or 6 years ago. Not that we really needed him when we had Hotham, Fournier etc. I don’t think you need to be a hockey aficionado to see he started going downhill 2 or 3 years ago.

kristian

He wasn't in the line up for Wednesday game. So maybe not a rash decision.
Speculation but iam sure something been wrong in dressing room for a while maybe this was it?

jimmy snels

Id imagine he was our highest paid Brit but certainly wasnt our highest performing.
I will say there are at least another Brit not doing anything of note as well as a number of imports. Id like to see us bring in a better D man, a bigger forward when bangs bodies and gets in front of the net and we need an actual top line centre. Appreciate we would need to change up our goal tending situation to make that happen in reality

Im hoping we have someone lined up. We've done well previously this kinda time of year so fingers crossed

Wannabe2

Unfortunately I can’t see too much happening at this moment in time, the future looks so bleak right now, maybe after Monday we will have a slightly clearer view, in one way, but it’s all in the hands of the gods.

Diablo3

Given the speed and quality of the notice, this is a personal issue rather than an on ice one. It does give us some options on what we do with the replacement. Do we get a decent centre or D given Lou will be back in a couple of weeks

jimmy snels

Unfortunately I can’t see too much happening at this moment in time, the future looks so bleak right now, maybe after Monday we will have a slightly clearer view, in one way, but it’s all in the hands of the gods.
Yeah get you mate, I can't see to much extra happening, maybe im wishing

Status
Not open for further replies.