Giants v Devils - Fri/Sat 17/18 Feb 2017 - League - FO 7pm

Thread starter #181
Hi OJ - doesn't the game sheet have to be signed at the end by both coaches? And if so, all the subsequent changes over the next day I'm assuming would have been there already?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Coaches or whoever (assistant coach or manager) only sign the gamesheet prior to the game to confirm their lineup (including starting line). The official scorer looks after the gamesheet signs it and then gets the referee to sign it. Well that's what happenned in my day.

Claire (Devils scoer) could confirm what is the accepted gamesheet, her paper version or the elecrtonic version.

I would be interested to know what was on the gamesheet when the scorer got the referee to sign.

It would appear that the rules covering a bench clearence (if this was one) were followed. One player from each team gets double minor plus Game misconduct and FIVE players from each team get a 10 minute misconduct and the bench coaches gets landed with Match penalies.

The Mathew Myers and Chris Jones situation is complicated by them having had a 10 minute misconduct alread hence an automatic Game misconduct

Finny

tbh thought dops would have made a statement by now with the devils playing tomorrow or is hogarth still looking at footage to add a bit more. i.e. rutherford punching hotham in the face and spearing hotham by rutherford with the lino next to him.
I think the deadline to submit review requests for weekend games is Monday evening. It seems longer than normal because we played Fri-Sat and is complicated further because we play Tues night.

I'm guessing DOPS will make an initial announcement tomorrow morning saying what is being reviewed. They've probably already looked at our game to ensure any bans are announced before our game tomorrow.

I guess the question is do they review the whole incident due to the match penalties to the bench coaches, or just them specifically.

I'd imagine both bench coaches will get a game each (though harsh) with Belfast's getting an extra game for it being his second offence. Vandermeer should get a game for his actions and Walser for the hit on Benti. A devils player will probably get a ban too to even things up.

I too thought it looked like Rutherford might have tried to spear Hotham, but on a second look I'm not sure it's conclusive enough. Wouldn't be surprised if they add a penalty to gamesheet for him though as I'm amazed he got nothing.

Devil_Abroad

Coaches or whoever (assistant coach or manager) only sign the gamesheet prior to the game to confirm their lineup (including starting line). The official scorer looks after the gamesheet signs it and then gets the referee to sign it. Well that's what happenned in my day.

Claire (Devils scoer) could confirm what is the accepted gamesheet, her paper version or the elecrtonic version.

I would be interested to know what was on the gamesheet when the scorer got the referee to sign.

It would appear that the rules covering a bench clearence (if this was one) were followed. One player from each team gets double minor plus Game misconduct and FIVE players from each team get a 10 minute misconduct and the bench coaches gets landed with Match penalies.

The Mathew Myers and Chris Jones situation is complicated by them having had a 10 minute misconduct alread hence an automatic Game misconduct
Thanks OJ - how does the player (one from each team) get selected? Think half the team were on the ice before we see Bordy skate across.

Also, when can players come onto the ice at the end of the game?

Devil_Abroad

So DOPS are looking at 4 incidents from the weekend apparently. 2 will be the match penalties against the 2 coaches, so there must be 2 requested reviews too. I wonder if one will be the hit on Benti by Walser and the other the spearing by Rutherford? Seeing how things have gone against us lately they've probably been requested by Belfast!

Devil_Abroad

The EIHL podcast mentioned 4 DOPS reviews coming - I'm assuming in addition to the review? If so then they all must be requested? Can't believe Hotham was assessed fighting and Rutherford nothing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazza272

The EIHL podcast mentioned 4 DOPS reviews coming - I'm assuming in addition to the review? If so then they all must be requested? Can't believe Hotham was assessed fighting and Rutherford nothing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
now confirmed that no one is banned. and it appears we didn't cite the Walser hit.

he Elite League Department of Player Safety has completed a full review of the incident which took place at 60:00 during the game between the Belfast Giants and Cardiff Devils on Saturday 18th February 2017.

Using the Referees report and the video footage, the Department of Player Safety has made the following decisions:

BELFAST GIANTS

Andrew Dickson’s 10 minute Misconduct penalty has been upgraded to a 5+Game for Fighting.

Blair Riley’s 5+Game for Fighting has been upheld, but no further action will be taken.

Jim Vandermeer’s 5+Game for Fighting has been upheld, but no further action will be taken.

Rob Stewart’s Match Penalty has been rescinded

Matt Nickerson’s 4+Game for Leaving the Bench has been rescinded.

The 10 minute misconduct penalties assessed on Michael Forney, Colin Shields, Michael Quesnele and Matt Towe have all been rescinded.

CARDIFF DEVILS

Andrew Hotham’s 5+Game for Fighting has been upheld, but no further action will be taken.

Ben Bowns’s 5+Game for Fighting has been upheld, but no further action will be taken.

Gleason Fournier’s Game Misconduct for being Third Man has been upheld, but no further action will be taken.

Jamie Elson’s Match Penalty has been rescinded

Patrick Bordeleau’s 4+Game for Leaving the Bench has been rescinded.

The 10 minute misconduct penalties assessed on Mathew Myers, Scott Hotham, Chris Jones, Guillaume Doucet and Josh Batch have all been rescinded.

The Department of Player Safety also carried out an automatic review of the 2+10 for Checking from Behind called on Chris Jones at 08.40 of the 3rd period. Using the Referees report and video footage no further action will be taken.

Regarding the signing of the game sheets I thought each team also signed to confirm the scorers and assists more than anything else.
The DOPS report does clear the fog and the penalties seem more reasonable and now make sense to me.
I think the Elite league has reached the stage where a single referee system is inadequate for many of the games. It's a very physical league and two referees will keep games under better control. I know there are not enough refs. available for the whole league but I think, if necessary, they should be imported regardless of the extra expense for selected games. This will give the added benefit to our existing refs. by giving them the experience of working with more experienced colleagues. If necessary we should import a ref. or two for a whole season and allocate them to as many matches around the country as possible. I know this costs money but the standard has got to be raised and quickly.
I don't know how the refs. are allocated but it would certainly be helpful to avoid having the same one in future double headers.
I don't know if anything is happening behind the scenes but something needs to be done to cool the bad feeling between two clubs as it is starting to affect the relationship between supporters. I want to be able to continue sharing a drink with visiting supporters. Some of them are my friends.

terry hunt

On the face of it this looks the best result for the Devils despite the obvious unfairness of it.I must admit its another example of the Devils superior management and ownership that they can sort out bad situations like this and not descend to the level of our competitors.
I suppose the true outcome will be seen on tonights gamesheet.Controlled anger can be a very effective tool.I suspect we have some injured players to cope with.

terry hunt

After this debacle will Hogarth also be rescinded

if I count correctly 26 penalties at 60mins 15 rescinded. Is this a record?
I would have thought the old Panthers game bench clearance when i remember Blazer walking out of the rink and he said to us let them get on with it.

dave

Sense previlled on this I think and rightly so...
So basically it has not been deemed a bench clearance in the traditional sense as all those penalties that are giving out in that situation as well described by OJ have been removed. Hopefully they have also removed the Game Penalties from the records of CJ and Matt "Morris" that came with the second 10's.

DA- in a normal BC the 4+G is allocated to the first identified as leaving the bench.
What can happen though is the officials look straight at the known enforcers and spot them off the bench even if it was not them that have gone first..
Also players can not leave if there is an altercation taking place, what I think they have said in this case is that there was not an active altercation in place and it escalated once most players were on the ice if that makes sense.

Mooney#16

Sort of illustrates the good and bad of DOPS. Thank F Kirkham saw sense in what actually happened but it's now clear he is pulling the strings as Hogarth basically just threw together a bunch of penalties in relation to a bench clearance knowing it would get reviewed and he teflon shouldered it onto Kirkham to make the calls.

Be sad if a deal got brokered here that let Walser of the hook as that hit to the head in isolation of the end of game is worthy of at least a match. Hopefully if Devils haven't cited it it's a reflection that Benti isn't injured and they just want to get on with sealing the deal.

Earnie

I remember the Nottingham bench clearance at the WNIR Terry. Blaisdale indeed left the scene and went to the bar. That was a Proper fight.
It made last Saturday's incident at Belfast look handbags - which it was really.

Having looked at the highlights a few times I'm not sure you can say that Walser intentionally hits Benti to the head. Looks more like a collision to me which unfortunately resulted in an injury. Would have to see different angles to see if Walser moved off his direction of travel or raised his elbow in order to make contact. To me it doesn't look like he is looking at Benti.