Confirmed Signings (& some departures) - All teams 2016/17

osh

Obviously you mean size of fanbase, that's all you ever talk about after all.

You really believe the amount of fans a team have really have a bearing on a player signing? We've pulled players from under the nose of teams with much bigger fanbases before, even when we were in the BBT. Probably the least likely thing to influence a player.
Let's cut Electro some slack here eh, maybe the player looked at the honours list of each team that made a move for him and decided that he would like to play for a team that consistently wins trophies, as opposed to us who don't ?
Electro hasn't actually mentioned Lord as being a sticking point against us has he, others have just assumed that's what he means ( I don't know what he alludes to either, but then again, it doesn't bother me as much as others )

Ocko

My god, it has nothing to do with Lord or the fan base.

Have you not seen the trophy cabinet and arena.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fair enough.

However I would argue both of those points more than the aforementioned .

Point about the arena; as a fan I do agree with many of your points - from a fan perspective. However from a players perspective it is many times better than the set up in Sheffield. As a player what do you care about? Decent locker room conditions, good ice, ease of access, consistency of location amongst a few other points.

Cardiff is head and shoulders ahead of Sheffield in these aspects. I have used the facilties in Sheffield and they are far from ideal. Their changing rooms are almost spilt in the middle, not all players can see each other, it's benches with a tiny bit of cheap overhead mdf storage with little personalisation. No expense has been spared on the Devils locker room, not by IAW but the club, there's a kitchen area, cool personalised stalls, decoration, storage - it's comfortable. Not perfect as the pillars aren't great but miles better than Sheffield. With a full time, experienced kit man.

They have to play over at Ice Sheffield regularly (with really cramped facilities). We only play home games and train at IAW.

The ice is pretty crap at the motorpoint as well, at least it was about 3 years ago. And Sheffield very rarely get it more than 2/3 full, I'd prefer a sold out 3k arena to half empty 10k seat.

And it's convenient for all the players in relation to where they live.

Arena wise we are miles ahead of Sheffield from a player perspective.

Trophy wise it's subjective. Would you prefer to be part of a growing brand with ambitious new owners or somewhere where success is expected at all costs. Neither is the right or wrong answer for that point.

Electro

I've constantly written that Lord has potential and I'm a supporter.

That being said having a player coach who is also learning his craft whilst the fans and club are desperate for success is a mistake and shows little respect for the coaches within other teams.

Our position reflects that, it's no bad thing, just that if our owners and fans wanted everything immediately it couldn't, wouldn't and hasn't happened to date under Lord.

Will it happen this year or in future years, I'd be surprised if Lord does not become a coach of a Champion winning side.

Past success has a huge impact on a players decision, so does future prospects. Players are looking at their future movements, just as much as current ones. Lifting Any cup in any sport is a huge achievement, but let's be honest, no matter what the sport, it's the bank balance that makes players and owners smile, the bigger the trophy, the greater the bank balance.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Why are we even debating why Walker has gone to the Steelers? It's happened, we can be envious but let's move on.

Much more important questions to be asked/answered than that....what are the Devils going to do to strengthen their chances of securing silverware this season? Are they actually looking at adding to the roster? And if so, what type of player?

Electro

Fair enough.

However I would argue both of those points more than the aforementioned .
There's a surprise.

So since he has decided to pick Sheffield over Cardiff, is because he and his agent (I'm assuming he has one) are basically idiots.

Ocko

Absolutely not.

Just Sheffield offered more money, which I said earlier. All an agent cares about is money and some players do too.

Johnnybravo1927

Geoff Walker has signed from Fassa in the alps league when he would have been a team mate of Deeds. I know Deeds has a lot of time for Cardiff fans but last season he trained for a bit at Sheffield and was very complimentary of their entire club. Maybe he gave some words of advice to Mr.Walker.

Electro

Absolutely not.

Just Sheffield offered more money, which I said earlier. All an agent cares about is money and some players do too.
In my opinion, which is accounting in part Steve's comments regarding money not being an issue if there is a need to bring in a player/s.

Having said that, the default comment when money is an issue is to openly state, money is not an issue. I don't believe Cardiff has an issue with finance, if anyone does Sheffield does, but who knows, maybe pushing the finances on a punt to win the league is a sensible approach in the eyes of Sheffields owner.

So Cardiff didn't want him for the amount he was asking or he decided Sheffield offers more, including current and future worth.

Sorry but the changing room facilities you mentioned are just bells and whistles and frankly ridiculous, maybe Crosby would have an A listers list of demands within the changing room, he has been known to be a bit of a diva, but l very much doubt he has asked any club for photos of the changing rooms prior to making a decision.

Ocko

You're the one who mentioned facilties, Electro. I've merely pointed out that couldn't of been an issue and why. I never once said that was the reason Walker didn't sign for us.

What facilties are important then Electro?

Wannabe2

Just exactly how does anyone know if we really wanted this guy, maybe he wasn't the right fit for us, maybe we have someone better on the radar, maybe, maybe , maybe. Steelers are desperate for a D Man above anything else. I have total faith in our management, after all we are just armchair coaches, let the professionals do their thing.

Electro

Tic Toc. Time will tell, time is not a luxury we have.

For me it would be the quality of the chips served at the rink, that is a major factor for me.

Johnnybravo1927

Do we even know if Geoff Walker was actually on Andrew Lords radar? A follow on twitter isnt an guarantee. I still think there is a player lined up and I know who I think it may be but its all speculation. I have no inside knowledge or any link just rimours I have heard on various forums

kettdevil1

Do we even know if Geoff Walker was actually on Andrew Lords radar? A follow on twitter isnt an guarantee. I still think there is a player lined up and I know who I think it may be but its all speculation. I have no inside knowledge or any link just rimours I have heard on various forums
Go on.....