Cardiff Devils v Coventry Blaze - Tue 27 Dec 2016 - FO 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Great game and yet another spirited fight back by the best team in the league. But why do we keep having to fight back. The intensity when we were behind was amazing and showed the Devils at their best but its a dangerous game to play in such a competitive league.But we keep doing it.
People are knocking Lord and crediting the win to Bordy but the line changes worked. Culligans pass to Doucet was amazing as was Doucets finish. Bordy played a big part in the fight back but I think Culligan, Bentivoglio, Doucet and Lord all have to take some credit also.
When you win, especially a comeback like that, there are lots of players that contributed to the win. You don't need goals or assists to contribute to the win although many people seem to think that a player needs points to contribute .

l
When you win, especially a comeback like that, there are lots of players that contributed to the win. You don't need goals or assists to contribute to the win although many people seem to think that a player needs points to contribute .
They all give something that makes this team go, whether it's a small play that no one sees other than the coaches and their teammates or the guy that gets the goal. Win as a team and lose as a team. They all contribute to the win and do likewise when they lose

Outsider, #24 was as sloppy as usual, he was on the ice when he made a lazy mistake that gifted a Blaze gial. And on the PP the times he's on the point and lets the puck under his stick so we all have to clear again. Lord gives him way too much ice time as usual. +/- I'll say again +/-

Rob Batch

Didn't really pay enough attention in the 3rd, beers had flowed and was simply enjoying the great madness of the comeback !! This is supposed to be in reply to a previous post I F messed it up . Bed-time for me....

Outsider, #24 was as sloppy as usual, he was on the ice when he made a lazy mistake that gifted a Blaze gial. And on the PP the times he's on the point and lets the puck under his stick so we all have to clear again. Lord gives him way too much ice time as usual. +/- I'll say again +/-
Sloppy as usual ? Really ? I'm sure he lets the puck under or over his stick on purpose ? Plus minus is a loser stat, It's a team stat pinned on an individual. You're right on one thing, he does play too much but when you play as much as he does ad has the puck on his stick more than anyone, percentages are very good he's going to make some questionable passes and plays. If he's guilty of anything, it's his desire to win and he wants to make something happen everytime he gets the puck. Did you mention the nice play he made on Benti's first goal, started the play on Doucette's second goal and made a very nice play on Benti's empty net goal ? I get if you're not enamored with his play but you have to give blame where it's warranted and kudos when things go well. But then again, when you don't like a player, you're incapable of seeing the good things

I've said it before but all we need is 3 periods of devils hockey. Bordy showed everyone tonight what happens when we play the hard hitting physical style the fans love. We win games and energise the room. Tonight Bordy won that game for us. Long may it continue

Devil_Abroad

Didn't really pay enough attention in the 3rd, beers had flowed and was simply enjoying the great madness of the comeback !! This is supposed to be in reply to a previous post I F messed it up . Bed-time for me....
Understood lol He was signing later so I guess he's ok and I was too engrossed on watching the hits and goals! Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

From 10mins until 40mins we looked like 20 guys meeting up on the ice for the first time. Same last Friday for most part of the Storm game until the last few mins. Don't know why. It's frustrating and I'm sure the same goes for the players and the coach. We then see the potential as a team in the third. They can compete and beat the best in this league but for long periods they can also struggle with the worst. I hope they crack it in the new year. Steelers are still a top team, Giants are cruising it seems right now, and Panthers with bodies down are winning again - wait for Williams and the returnees and they'll be flying. The rest of the season is going to be very exciting as long as we play 3rd period hockey more often.

DevilDom

Think Lord is taking some unfair criticism here. Firstly, we won the game and remain clear at the top of the league. Secondly, the changing lines in the 3rd as decided by Lord also helped in the comeback. Finally, Bordy was hugely influential in turning the game around but the timing in the decision to unleash him was also down to Lord. Bordy was very wound up in the 2nd period and could easily have come on and done something stupid, Lord waited and let him go and he proved to be the gamechanger. Not saying lord got everything right tonight but he doesn't deserve some of the criticism coming his way.

Funny how you mentioned that Hotham made some weak defensive plays and he did but you failed to mention that he had 3 assists in the 3rd period but only got credited for 2. Just a question though, did anyone else make any defensive mistakes or bad passes ? If so, did you mention those mistakes ? Did any forwards make any defensive mistakes or bad passes or is it always the defencemen ?
I did mention previous no one in particular stunk the place out; Hotham included in that! He did make some good plays also as you mention, I also liked his aggression at times during the match. It is frustrating when he loses control of the puck on the point, turnovers etc...but then I guess with his vision and offensive hockey smarts he'd be playing at a far higher level than EIHL if this wasn't the case.

So I didn't get to the game last night after! Can someone clear up what actuallly happened with lord and bordeleau? Did he swear at lord on the ice did he punch plexi was lord telling him to get off the ice? Any help please?

Milky

So I didn't get to the game last night after! Can someone clear up what actuallly happened with lord and bordeleau? Did he swear at lord on the ice did he punch plexi was lord telling him to get off the ice? Any help please?
Sat in block 19 so I had a perfect view. We go 3-1 down in the 2nd and Lordo calls a time out. Perfect time for a fight or something to change momentum and lift the crowd.

Bordy skates out thinking he's on the first line out after the timeout but Lordo calls him back onto the bench. Cue very heated argument from Bordy who then prowls the bench and then punches the plexiglass. Clearly fuming he sits on the bench occasionally chirping at Lordo. He finally gets his FIRST shift (with lots of ironic cheers from the crowd) of the 2nd period with 3 mins left. Talk about perfect timing but we then proceed to score;)

He then terrorises the opposition in the 3rd and we win the game. Very simple lesson for Lordo there I think.

Please take the handbrake off.

Devil_Abroad

Has anyone suggested he coached a perfect game? Maybe a great coach allows the red mist to clear and so stop potetnially a silly penalty with far reaching consequences beyond one game. He also doesn't bench Bordeleau for snapping so I guess he wasn't snapping at him. He allows time for the red mist to go before then telling him to go and start checking. Maybe, just maybe this is what happened?

Ocko

All of what you just said happened.

And there's me blaming bordeleau for not fighting etc?
It's clear lord doesn't know how to handle someone like bordeleau and his experience. He best keep him happy or we will lose a very good player :)

kettdevil1

Sat in block 19 so I had a perfect view. We go 3-1 down in the 2nd and Lordo calls a time out. Perfect time for a fight or something to change momentum and lift the crowd.

Bordy skates out thinking he's on the first line out after the timeout but Lordo calls him back onto the bench. Cue very heated argument from Bordy who then prowls the bench and then punches the plexiglass. Clearly fuming he sits on the bench occasionally chirping at Lordo. He finally gets his FIRST shift (with lots of ironic cheers from the crowd) of the 2nd period with 3 mins left. Talk about perfect timing but we then proceed to score;)

He then terrorises the opposition in the 3rd and we win the game. Very simple lesson for Lordo there I think.

Please take the handbrake off.
Or alternatively he played it to perfection, stopped a stupid penalty, built Bordy up so that he turned into a wrecking machine and we won the game.....

It is all hypothetical but suppose Bordy had been let off the leash at that point, Klotz had taken the fight and given that he is a tough cookie, won the fight. Momentum stays with the Blaze and we have to find another way.

We won, Blaze lost. That sounds like good coaching to me.

"So I didn't get to the game last night after! Can someone clear up what actuallly happened with lord and bordeleau? Did he swear at lord on the ice did he punch plexi was lord telling him to get off the ice? Any help please?
All of what you just said happened."

Highlights please a.s.a.p including all of the above

I love this forum. Before these games it was "Bordys useless and lets bench Ulmer and Benti!". Then we win two games back to back with all three players putting out MoM performances and it's "Lord needs to wake up!". Incredible!