Devils v Steelers - Double header thread - CC & League - Chat/Updates

kingmo19.1

Can't help but think that Thommo would have gassed a few by now had he been Lordo. Hate to say it, but that's the difference to me - steelers always focusing on performance and reaults. We seem to be in the tourism and hospitality business!

I really hope we win tonight but if we do, part of me will be fuming that we're putting in performances on the road, but failing so miserably at home and letting down the Cardiff crowd who have parted with their hard earned cash to watch that shambles. If we don't have the players to do the business in front of sell out home crowds, then clear them out and get some in who have a bit more bottle. I'm afraid we've signed too many players who've been playing fancy dan hockey in the likes of Italy and don't have the hard nosed grit that's expected in Cardiff. And don't give me that crap about big ice and the need to play a less physical game, plenty of Devils players in the past have shown the guts, commitment, desire and physicality needed when we have played home and away.
Totally agree that not being able to play physical hockey on the big ice is garbage, the amount of checks our players pull out of is ridiculous and Bordelaeu is one of the chief culprits, he should be hitting everything and if he's not going to then bench him and put Piggot on in his place to show how it's done

JT666

Forgot to add my two pence worth on the Andrew Hotham debate. The guy clearly has bags of skill going forward, and is a proven goal and points scorer. He's also at times suspect in defence, last night proving this point.

Is it ridiculous to suggest swapping he and Culligan around when Scott Hotham returns? Culligan seems quite content to play defenceman when is given that responsibility (even emphasising his passion for penalty killing in his interview in mid week), Andrew evidently doesn't.

Am I missing something or would Hotham make a much better defensive forward, than an attacking defenceman?

it's down to lord to tell the players what there doing wrong etc and give them a good talking to if they ain't listening.
To me he seems to nice a guy to coach a hockey team wanted to challenge for trophies. He should be at a Dundee or fife team who are willing to finish mid table. We need a Neil warnock in our changing room if we are to challenge at the top. Someone who will release players someone who will shout between period breaks etc. Ilord seems the type to sit there with a cup of tea and let the players off gentle.. all being said they will get a win tonight and all will be forgotten :)

Wannabe2

If there was a deliberate policy of playing European style hockey would we not have signed more European players rather than Canadians?
Yes think I worded it wrong there Kip, I meant we ain't hitting and wanting to play the pretty stuff, and walking the goals in, the team is too good to not get it right, and I think they will, but god it's frustrating in the interim.

JC23

From conversations with others who know Hotham personally, he played forward in younger years, and didn't enjoy it.

Baffles me, but just what I'm told.

Finny

Fortunately for Hotham we don't record the +/- or he'd be 'found out'!
+/- are recorded, just not publicised publically.

I appear to be in the minority here but I actually thought Hotham was one of our best players last night, as he has been for the last couple of games. In a team low on confidence at home he's happy to have the puck when under pressure and is also one of our most creative players.

1st period was pretty even as was the start of the 2nd. Two uncharacteristic mistakes then gave Sheffield two easy goals and we seemed to implode. By the time we got our heads back in the right place it was too late.

Sadly without Bowns tonight we are going to be really up against it and I'd be amazed if we don't end the weekend pointless.

Earnie

+/- are recorded, just not publicised publically.

I appear to be in the minority here but I actually thought Hotham was one of our best players last night, as he has been for the last couple of games. In a team low on confidence at home he's happy to have the puck when under pressure and is also one of our most creative players.

1st period was pretty even as was the start of the 2nd. Two uncharacteristic mistakes then gave Sheffield two easy goals and we seemed to implode. By the time we got our heads back in the right place it was too late.

Sadly without Bowns tonight we are going to be really up against it and I'd be amazed if we don't end the weekend pointless.

Earnie

Without Bowns it might encourage the defence to stay at home a bitter more! Murdy is a fine goal tender and hopefully will relish the challenge
I would like to see more in your face physicality tonight. Get there first and turn this around.

ASHIPP

Good luck to Tom Murdy in goal tonight. Thought he was solid and confident last night. Hope the defence give him the support he deserves.

KaneDevils

Perhaps it's nerves playing at home a new home. It can often take time to adjust. Just look at west ham United. Also, love or hate the bbt, it had an intimacy that iaw may never have.

Perhaps it's nerves playing at home a new home. It can often take time to adjust. Just look at west ham United. Also, love or hate the bbt, it had an intimacy that iaw may never have.
Possibly, but apparently they were a bit flat in the away game last weekend, as well (even though we won). Suspect they've had a rocket up their butts since the game finished yesterday - and, on the plus side, shows what the team are capable of. 3 - 0 up now! Go Devils!

Electro

You could use that argument for all teams, why would the IAW have any influence on the performances of players both new to Cardiff and used to changing clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

august04

Will the real Cardiff Devils please stand up?! Superb performance so far tonight, I'm sure someone must have given them a rocket up their arses last night and a few home truths. Murdy with arguably the save of the season during the second period. Note to Lord and his team, please don't take your Cardiff home support for granted - last night's effort was pathetic compared to this game, no matter what happens in the 3rd period.

KaneDevils

You could use that argument for all teams, why would the IAW have any influence on the performances of players both new to Cardiff and used to changing clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It happens though. In various sports. Sports psychology is mind blowing. We've now beaten Belfast away and sheffield twice, but have been disappointing at home. Home advantage can often mean added pressure.