Devils v Steelers - Double header thread - CC & League - Chat/Updates

backrow

As well as Sheffield played it was Devils mistakes that cost them the game tonight. On their 1st goal, Culli played the puck carrier perfectly keeping him away from the net but he made a nice drop pass and 3 Devils right there watched the Steeler skate into the slot and score. A bad defensive zone turnover led to another goal and a careless breakout pass on the power play helped set up their shorthanded goal. The team scored enough goals to win without those mistakes.
I just feel that some players are playing too much and others not enough lately!

Electro

Same old same old.

I don't understand why people are surprised by the results.

We have an inexperienced coach learning his craft, l see small changes year on year, whilst using the same method of choosing players, retaining players and then trying to make the players fit the team. If you want to win, you need a coach with proven talent.

I'm sure many within this league are laughing at the arrogance shown by the Devils organisation who believe Lord could out coach them.

But you never know, it could all turn around in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mazza03

A short one from me, very disappointed tonight it was a terrible game, they need to study Steelers net minder and stop shooting low when he gets dow he covers the whole net so shots higher might go in.
Have an MC type player who is there ready for the rebounds.
And we are missing Franny on the bench, there is NO direction from the bench with Lordo on the ice, I don't think Jamie is good enough.
We were crap tonight.
What is wrong with Scot? Haven't seen anything said.

Johnnybravo1927

A short one from me, very disappointed tonight it was a terrible game, they need to study Steelers net minder and stop shooting low when he gets dow he covers the whole net so shots higher might go in.
Have an MC type player who is there ready for the rebounds.
And we are missing Franny on the bench, there is NO direction from the bench with Lordo on the ice, I don't think Jamie is good enough.
We were crap tonight.
What is wrong with Scot? Haven't seen anything said.
I spoke with Scott last night, he has a shoulder injury. When I spoke to him a week ago he was hoping to be back last night but it looks now like he will be out for another 2 weeks

ASHIPP

Some excellent honest posts on here. Afraid it's time for the team to be honest now. 6 weeks in and we can already see that performances at the start of the season have made it v difficult to achieve expectations of the ownership,management,fans.

A poor CC performance puts Devils in a position where they may not qualify.

Poor consecutive home performances weaken our league challenge and, longterm, will undermine fan enjoyment.

After this weekend surely it must be time for a serious re-assessment by the Club? The Clan were in the same position - a rival, a potential contender too. They have made changes which look like they have worked.

There has to be leadership from the bench if Lord is playing. There is none there and it is v difficult for him to coach and play. Some players are being so overworked they are going to become ineffective, exhausted or injured. Is this a trust issue or an acceptance that our most productive players at the mo are mostly the core who have been here years? And there are some players such as Bordy and David Brine who are v experienced but appear completely underutilised. What are Panthers doing so successfully with McGrattan and McMillan - two comparable players on their team?

Sometimes you have to accept that if something isnt working it needs to be changed in order to get back on track. At the mo, the team don't look they are able to challenge for anything. At what point do you stop being patient? 6 weeks, 12 weeks?

Time for serious reassessment of roles, tactics, basics this week.

Last edited:

terry hunt

rweee and Ivydrive i suspect are female and appear to have a better grasp of the mess we are in than some of the apologist.
Ben44 please translate your post for me.
I saw Steve King on the top balcony last night and he was not a happy man.I dont think it was helped by having Simmsy nearby who probably enjoyed every minute.How would you feel if you had brought 30 of your family all the way from Calgary to watch that embarassing display.Its a good thing we have these owners.If we had Tony Smith,Neil Black or most other owners i think there would be blood on the carpet.Imagine if you were one of the owners going home next week and telling their business associates how their considerable investment had performed.In my experience of them they are very shrewd judges of hockey.I think our players need to think on that before tonights game.

ASHIPP

One upside in all of this....Tom Murdy deserves credit for a good period 3 last night. Good to know we have a confident young goalie who can step in when needed. And hope he gets more opportunities during the season.

Hoping Bownsey was just rested as a precaution ready for tonight.

Came away from the game last night upset and peed off for the first time ever, not sure why as when we were playing under G we would normally loose games like this but I think the expectation is there now....

After many rants in the car and on the way home last night I felt like I was done with hockey and very bored and after reading through some of these posts its clear that this is the same for some people on here.

After sleeping on this and listening and reading replies and podcasts to me its very clear cut whats going wrong.

The issue is not bad D, Coaching or Goaltending. Nobody needs to be sacked we just have D men who are more interested in offence, is this a bad thing in hockey I have no idea I dont watch any other leagues but I know this is not working for the devils.

Why is this the case? Its proven that we are getting a tone of shots on goals, proven that we have a lot of puck possession but what is happening then is the we are being turned over all the time leaving Bowns hung out to dry! Maybe this tactic can work when we have more confidence.

For now I think we need to play a more defensive style of game and get some dirty goals and chances will become available maybe not all the time.

I love this team, I love hockey but I hate loosing, what people are forgetting is that we are no longer the underdog where teams would think of us a pushover team, they are coming to us playing there A game and you can see this with the results the next night loosing questionably to teams that we think they should win.

On a side note I refused to engage myself in the game fully after the 2nd period break but found myself re engaged and sitting forward and taking notice, funnily enough this was when the team start playing a hard hitting game but this is probably the style we are going to have to sadly see go away now playing on the larger ice pad...

Rant over but I feel better......

Murdy should definitely be given the start next week against Edinburgh

As for the game there's nothing left to say that hasn't been said really, really frustrating to watch, in the first period we started off quite well, created a few chances, couldn't put any away then the steelers score and I immediately thought here we go, it felt like quite a few others thought the same thing.

In a way (and no offence to Edinburgh meant) it may be a good game for some of our guys to get a goal or two, I personally would put Asselin with Ulmer and Bentiviglio and Doucet with Martin and Mo (Haddad, Myers, Bordy/Lord, Brine, CJ/Piggot) I think Doucet can be more of the sniper he is with Martin feeding him the puck against not as strong opposition

kingmo19.1

At the moment, for me Ulmer & Bentivoglio are looking about as effective as Gratton & Andison (one for the old timers there). Not sure what's happened to Doucet - a proven sniper and top goal scorer? Big challenge for Lordo to turn this around. I'm hoping he can do it, but I feel he's going to need some help. The organization needs to realize we're now in the age of a far more professional EIHL era than two years ago even one year ago! .... How many teams now have not only a 100% dedicated coach but also a 100% dedicated assistant coach I ask! ..... Lots. And we're still trying to get away with (maybe scrimping and saving a few quid) with a 50/50 player coach! ... Time to get real and time to move with the times and get a bit more professional!

The arena looks great, the pre-match entertainment is great, but the on-ice product is lacking!

Jonesy83

Listening to Lords post match interview with icetime.tv he says Bowns has an injury and doesn't think he'll be playing tomorrow (tonight) against Sheffield.

Wannabe2

Thought we played pretty well in the 1st with a lot of possession and deserved the equalising goal.The second period was a complete shambles when we fell apart, the third we played for 2/3 minutes, myself I thought we were trying to play European hockey which isn't what we are about. We had some moments like the awesome shot that zinged off the crossbar, one inch lower and it's a awesome goal, steelers nettie is a very good netminder, but shooting at him makes him look unbeatable, and don't understand why we don't have a player standing in front of him, Ian Cooper done it perfectly. Unfortunately we are again shooting ourself in the foot in front of sell out crowds, Steelers definitely play for each other and it shows big time, are we being too nice on the ice I think so, let Steelers play their game and it's good night Vienna. Really hope we show desire, passion, pride and guts tonight, we have some really good players that showed that pre season, time to look at yourself in the mirror lads, the owners, management and fans are doing their bit, it's now time to do yours, it's a 60 min game not 6, 16, or 26, time to get your noses dirty guys, let's hope that begins tonight it's in your hands lads, show us why we follow you.

Slartibartfast

Mmmm when your Britians best tendy you can the critique others. Instead of saying stuff like this say encouraging stuff. I will say it wasn't our best game but Sheffield will always be hard to play.
I have been following the Devils for 26 years spending tens of thousands of pounds in that time. I think I have a right to criticise. A few weeks ago I was singing the Devils praises because they were playing some sublime hockey.Now they are not. I just say what I see.

august04

I really hope we win tonight but if we do, part of me will be fuming that we're putting in performances on the road, but failing so miserably at home and letting down the Cardiff crowd who have parted with their hard earned cash to watch that shambles. If we don't have the players to do the business in front of sell out home crowds, then clear them out and get some in who have a bit more bottle. I'm afraid we've signed too many players who've been playing fancy dan hockey in the likes of Italy and don't have the hard nosed grit that's expected in Cardiff. And don't give me that crap about big ice and the need to play a less physical game, plenty of Devils players in the past have shown the guts, commitment, desire and physicality needed when we have played home and away.

Last edited:

jenks33

I think it's easy to single out players who haven't performed well recently.
Our problems are: Our very skilled forwards are more like defenders, Our quality defence are wanna be forwards & our net minder is a bit off colour at the moment. I personally think we lack strong leadership out on the ice too. So basically everything...

For me the issue is a bit more simple though - coaching.

Week after week we are out coached. Even when we aren't out coached, we play boring, non contact hockey. People will say its an over reaction but its not a new issue.

In Lords 3 years as coach here's my observations.

Year 1 - We won the cup. Undeniably great performance in the Sheffield final but apart from that, we fell apart. Lost out on the league & failed to make the playoff finals weekend for the first time in Elite league era if i'm not mistaken.
For a rookie coach who had won silverware i can see why we saw promise in Lords ability though. I was optimistic.

Year 2 - A big disappointment for me. Lord seemed to adopt a new style of hockey which left me feeling bored. It certainly didn't have the Devils stamp on it. Not only was the on ice dull to watch, we didn't really look like winning much & by the end of the season, a lot of coaches were out coaching us, we lost confidence and began losing. A season with so much promise and we were left empty handed. There was a bit of criticism of the coaching yet the organisation publicly backed Lord stating he had a job with Devils for as long as he wants one.

Year 3 - We may only be at the very start of the season but we've already lost more games on home ice than we had at the end of Jan last season. We're fast heading towards the exit doors in the challenge cup in the group stages and the league will be gone before we know it if we continue the way we are heading. We're playing the same style game as we did last season, coaches have learned how to shut us down and are doing so week in week out recently. Yet we just hand out a 2 year contract extension? Im confused.

I apologise if i've offended anyone but i'm just stating what i see. As a Devils fan & season ticket holder i want to see my team win and be entertained at games. There hasn't been much of either recently.

If Lord wants to go back on the ice as a player then that's fine by me - he's one of the weaker links of the team at the moment with his mistakes costing us goals in the last two games now.
If he wants to continue as coach, that's fine but he really needs a strong, experienced assistant coach by his side to help him. He can't do both... Its too much and negatively effecting both his playing and coaching ability.

No doubt, many will see things differently, but i'm getting a bit bored of watching the same one dimensional hockey week in week out. As much as i feel bad for the owners travelling so far to watch such a poor performance, i'm glad they got to experience first hand the lack of Plan B & apparent total lack of direction on the ice when things don't go our way. Something needs to change.

On a positive note, Pre match build up is fantastic! Period break entertainment is spot on. A great atmosphere is obviously possible in the new building as we saw before the puck dropped. I look forward to the day when it continues after the puck is dropped - That will come when the style of hockey being played improves!
As a couple of others have said this post is spot on. If anybody disagrees with this post then they havent paid enough attention watching the Devils over the past 3 seasons. We all love Lordo's passion and I think every Devils fan wants him to succeed but I sometimes think the owners have taken to Lord as a person when they should be basing it on his coaching ability. Steve king was interviewed last night and he said that he's watched the NHL for 40 years and the most successful teams have given coaches time and haven't chopped and changed. This is true but NHL coaches have had to prove themselves at ECHL/AHL level before they're given a shot at the NHL. Something Lordo hasn't had to do.
I'm not saying that I want Lord replaced but I am surprised that we've extended his contract so early on in the season. Let's be honest in current form we might win nothing this season and finish 4th/5th in the league. I personally think we need a set up like they have in Nottingham. Get an experienced coach like Strachan to work alongside Lord to help him out and give him some fresh ideas

Electro

Having been reading Tweets there seems to be a sense of welcoming to the team that goes beyond a normal employer/employee relationship within the organisation. Having worked in similar circumstances, l was and the same goes for others within the organisation not "accepted" to the extent I've read until sometime later.

That does not mean it has to be unfriendly, but in my opinion and experience your not guaranteed your position in any role that measures performance, certainly not in the short term.I believe that that line is in a different location to others, a lot less tolerant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimmy snels

Time to gas a couple for me. Cant carry on like this. Most that needs to be said has been said already, but some things i noted as well:
*bordeleau gets slashed by desbians lets him get away with it when we are 4-1 down. Next shift roughs up our captain. Was perfect opportunity to set the tone but instead lets him carry on acting the goat.
*hotham on D was appalling last night.
*glad to see darnell call a diving penalty
*should have had a penalty shot i thought in first period.
*ulmer and Bentivoglio look out of their depth.
*mark louis did the right thing to try and get something going at that stage
*zorb game was absolutely hysterical. Steve king with easily the hit of the season!!!
*clap banners should be regularly handed out. Perhaps have buckets on way out to give them back for the next week?

terry hunt

At the latter end of Lord's interview he said that Bowns has an injury(not specified) and wont be travelling today.
Lets hope our D men have some conscience and do their job for him.
I thought that both Icetime interviews with Lord and Thompson were good.No gloating from Thommo

JT666

Isn't Kelman a well known advocate of Euro hockey, and our league moving away from physical play, to a more skilled game? I have no idea what influence, if any, he has on team tactics, but maybe Lord, a seasoned Power Forward remember, is simply following orders. It's not unknown for a manager to 'tow the company line', yet at the same time disagree in principal with that company ethos. Maybe he is as frustrated as us all.

This isn't a criticism of Kelman by the way, who has been an excellent GM, and is perfectly entitied to have his preferences on style of hockey, as I am mine. I personally think European hockey is bland, and blatantly difficult to master. The dilemma for the Devils management, who clearly think playing this style is how we will win trophies, is whether they continue to put their blind faith in this coming good, and risk crowds waining whilst the wait continues, or return to the physical style of play the Devils are traditionally associated.