Thoughts on Bordy so far

Wannabe2

Bordy will settle big time with this team, he will also be a big cog in the engine room, and will show the doubters his importance on the ice. Few more games under his belt, more ice time than he has been used too, and he will certainly blossom into a great team player. Opposing players will only have one eye on the puck when Bordy is on the ice, the other will be on him, as they don't want to be wiped out you could see that tonight, also when he stands in front of opposing netminders, who is going to clear him.

Thread starter #22
Bordy will settle big time with this team, he will also be a big cog in the engine room, and will show the doubters his importance on the ice. Few more games under his belt, more ice time than he has been used too, and he will certainly blossom into a great team player. Opposing players will only have one eye on the puck when Bordy is on the ice, the other will be on him, as they don't want to be wiped out you could see that tonight, also when he stands in front of opposing netminders, who is going to clear him.
I really noticed his presence in front of the net tonight. Also saw some great skating and puck possession to add to that. Well deserved MOM tonight.

august04

He was so effective in front of the goalie when we eventually used him on the powerplay tonight. Just plonk him in front of the net, he'll take some moving! Kept it simple, got himself a goal and an assist, with a couple of crunching hits thrown in as well. All that, plus his main job of keeping the other team honest and allowing our most skilled guys to play with a bit more freedom. What's not to like?!

Wannabe2

Could this be the return of the Vother, he is certainly in the same mould, would love to think this guy could be the next in a long line of tough Devils hero's, we have certainly been spoilt in that department, and may it long continue.

Really made up for Bordy tonight. Thought he had an effective all round game tonight with a gozl and an assist. I saw him last night and he was a little anonymous, however he now seems to be getting into his stride; with tonights showing and is a true team player who will play a vital role in the locker room this season.

KaneDevils

If he's anonymous, then he's serving his on ice purpose. If he's in the thick of it, then same applies. He will pick up points too, which is merely a bonus. ;)

matbur

Definitely a far more positive display from him last night, I think it's a silly conversation to be having after just three games - I wouldn't bite if it's coming from fans of other teams. If he was anonymous after 10-15 games it would be fair to ask questions of him but his presence is already having a positive effect on the team and he's putting up a few points too. All good as far as I see it.

Thread starter #28
Definitely a far more positive display from him last night, I think it's a silly conversation to be having after just three games - I wouldn't bite if it's coming from fans of other teams. If he was anonymous after 10-15 games it would be fair to ask questions of him but his presence is already having a positive effect on the team and he's putting up a few points too. All good as far as I see it.
This conversation was killed by the end of the third period last night, as far as I'm concerned ;)

Devil94

Not to forget also with his goal, he created it in the first place by chasing after the puck, their defender (Isaacs?) turned around and saw him coming, got rid of the puck quickly and turned it over. Can see that happening a lot this year.
You could also see in the third period after his goal he was much more confident on the puck.

KaneDevils

This is my point from previous post. If he's anonymous then other teams tough guys are leaving our skilled guys alone, which means he's serving a purpose simply by being dressed. Of course he will pick up points and draw penalties too.
Not many players are going to want to upset him by targeting one of our smaller players.

It's all good.

Temme

Very difficult to judge so early on.

I really didn't rate Mark Louis over pre-season, but last night wow, he is so fast, plays a perfect game. Reminds me somewhat of Tyson Marsh, I guess the guys don't always turn up match sharp, which can't be helped, but he looked amazing last night.

With regards to Bordy, last night was awesome, he levelled several players, made a Fife D man literally panic and give the puck up (leading to Bordy's goal) was 1+1 on the night and had a big presence on the Devils PP with his screen leading to Martin's goal.

DevilDom

Can't believe we are even having this debate now after what 4 games? He was very good last night against Fife - a real presence on the ice and forced plenty of turnovers including the one for the 2nd goal. The week before he was relatively quiet.

Personally I feel with more games and time on the ice he will only get better and if he can make opposition D men play with fear like he did last night on a regular basis he will be a real force. Played his role very well for me.

Devil94

Very difficult to judge so early on.

I really didn't rate Mark Louis over pre-season, but last night wow, he is so fast, plays a perfect game. Reminds me somewhat of Tyson Marsh, I guess the guys don't always turn up match sharp, which can't be helped, but he looked amazing last night.

With regards to Bordy, last night was awesome, he levelled several players, made a Fife D man literally panic and give the puck up (leading to Bordy's goal) was 1+1 on the night and had a big presence on the Devils PP with his screen leading to Martin's goal.
Didn't realise the pass Louis made to Bordy for his goal until just seeing the highlights. Very impressive for a player of his size and stature. Impressive skate for Asselin's goal also.

ASHIPP

The only thing missing for a 'Gordie Howe' from Bordy was a fight! 4 games in and he is finding his feet and playing his role on the team very very well.
There is no doubt that opposition players are worried by his presence and he showed his hockey smarts last night with great positioning, good skating and clean aggression.
Congratulations Patrick on your MOM.

Can't believe we are even having this debate now after what 4 games? He was very good last night against Fife - a real presence on the ice and forced plenty of turnovers including the one for the 2nd goal. The week before he was relatively quiet.

Personally I feel with more games and time on the ice he will only get better and if he can make opposition D men play with fear like he did last night on a regular basis he will be a real force. Played his role very well for me.
100% agree. How it might come as a surprise to anyone around the league that a new player might need some time to adjust to a new team where the rest have been together for a month is ridiculous. Last night you could see that things are starting to click, and for those who say he cannot play I would refer you to the couple of toe drags and moves he pulled to ghost past the Fife D last night.

James

Administrator
I know it's early days but I think this is a valid conversation. I'll admit going into last night I was worried we had picked a turkey based on last week and reports from Nottingham. Not because the guy can't play as he clearly can or he'd never get a sniff in the NHL let alone hold down a regular slot, but more about desire and motivation. I think last night changed all that. Firstly you can see he's a team guy. Whether its just his thing or its because hes late to the squad and feels he has to make up time he's there first on the bench to fistbump every other player onto the ice at the start of every period which says 'team player'. Then obviously last night he upped his game, put in some good checks, played good minutes, scared the crap out of some fife players by being near them and even though his tap in wasn't a hard shot he was in the right place and caused the play in the first place. So yeah, I can see this guy is going to deliver for us.

Electro

Much better performance from Bordy last night, he should have been more effective in Nottingham, l guess last night helps some decide his role and effectiveness. The real test will be coming soon, from last night l don't believe it'll be much of a test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

voth26

Cast your minds back 7yrs or so when a certain Brad Voth played his first game for us, I remember devils fans coming out with comments like he's skates like bambi on ice, waste of an import slot, cant fight etc and we all know how Vother turned out for the Devils. Bordy will be just fine for us, clearly he needs a few games to get up to speed, and judging by last nights game it doesn't appear that it's going to take to long, but patience is the key. As the saying goes slowly slowly catch the monkey, I don't care what any other team's fans think or say about Bordy, the fact their talking and in some cases trashing him tells me that their kind of worried about what he's going to do when he's fully up to speed!!