Your First Ever Devils Game

Gaz G

October 30th. 2004 at the WNIR against London Racers.
Devils won 1-0 and Rob Davison hugged Dennis Maxwell for a bit.
Met my beauty at the WNIR.
Best decision I ever made was to go that evening.

drainage

As it's the 30th Anniversary tomorrow I thought it would be interesting to see how many people remember the first Devils game they went to.
When was it?
Who was it against?
Why did you go?
What do you remember about it?
What made you keep coming back?
etc
A clue been watching 30 years today!
Why ? Boyfriend at time said ice hockey coming to Cardiff fancy watching ? He went on to become fiancé , husband and ex husband I kept ST seats after split!
Remember ? Like wow it was fast , it was entertaining and it was eye opening !
Why I kept coming back ? Surely right question is why wouldn't I ? So many highs , so many lows , so many friends made along the way, so much fun , so many chances to rant and rave , so much money spent and the belief that like a fine wine things improve with age
Happy Birthday Cardiff Devils it's been a blast !

Johnnybravo1927

What a brilliant thread! some really interesting stories as well.

I have 2 first games really! i went to see the devils in the WNIR as a teenager whilst visiting family in Cardiff. 2 games I remember were Hilton Ruggles debut and Mike Ware playing against us and losing his rag and broke the gate.

My second time was a lot more recent. went to visit a friend in New York who took myself and my wife toa Rangers Vs Blackhawks game. I loved and so did my sport hating wife. Later that season a friend gave me tickets to see Cardiff Vs Belfast in the BBT. The last game of the season and a playoff game we lost (season before last). since that 1 game I havent missed 1. 4 season tickets for my wife, the kids and myself, my son is now an obsessive and is doing very well playing in the Under 9s squad (won 11 out of 12 so far). I have made a lot of new friends and my life has been changed forever both by Cardiff Devils and hockey. given up my cardiff city season ticket and now feel proud and very lucky to be part of this club. my only regret is not getting involved years ago

mazza03

I can't remember the date but I went as a guest with Curran oil who sponsored the Devils, I think it was 1987, anyhow the idiot that I went witn (ex now) didn't like it and made us leave after the second period, I then went back in 89 with my daughter to watch a Witley Warriers game and became a season ticket holder in 1990. Was outside that year every Sunday, joined SORAC marches through town, lots of friends and so many memories.

Milky

I'm a positive baby on this thread!!!!!

- 23rd November 2014
- Edinburgh Capitals at Home - Jason Stones retirement night
- My son played for a football academy that sponsored Doug Clarkson for the season and there was a deal of £10 for a lad and a Dad to go together on the night.
-Remember it was pure luck to be there on a players shirt retirement night. Awesome atmosphere, great noise from the crowd, loads of goals and music, we both fell in love instantly. It took a while for him to understand that you don't retire a shirt and win games 10-0 every home game though hahaha. Have been hooked ever since and my wife and daughter come every week as well now. Happy days.

Russky

Mine was sometime in March 2000, Devils against Ayr Scottish Eagles at the old WNIR. My tickets were acquired for me by my works team leader, who still is a massive Devils fan. I wont name the person concerned to save their embarrassment, but suffice to say the person plays an integral part of procedings on matchnight even today.

I loved the speed intensity, physicality and atmosphere of the game, Devils won 5-2 I think. I was hooked as was my wife, although her interest has waned in recent years.

Last edited:

bdevil

January 11th 2003 v Coventry Blaze
I was living in West Wales at the time, playing junior roller hockey and the team I played for arranged a trip to Cardiff to watch a Devils match.
I remember Hilton Ruggles on the Blaze team, meeting Russ Romaniuk and getting my programme and Jersey signed. Still have both today.
I loved the speed, skill and atmosphere of watching and once I eventually moved to Cardiff around 10 years later I couldn't wait to watch again which naturally led to me getting a season ticket and I haven't looked back.

Slartibartfast

Cant remember the game but it was mid season 1990. Possibly Billingham/Cleveland. I only went along because a workmate in my new job invited me and I wanted to be polite. I was not looking forward to it as back then I wasn't interested in any sport.
I found it surprisingly enjoyable even though I had no idea what was going on.
I went with him again to a second game and loved it. At the end of the season me and my then girlfriend bought a season ticket. My workmate never went again although he enjoyed it.

Mannchester in 1996, i think. 1-0 to the devils. Lap of honour and carrying a trophy around with them. What a fuss just for winning one game! Turned out they'd won something called the Superleague. We only went because the highlights used to be on BBC Wales news on a Monday, I think. Wouldn't it be great to see regular coverage like that again?

E.D.S.

Who keeps compiling the Devils montage videos? Just watched one called 'the best'. Absolutely superb. Simply brilliant. A fantastic walk through of 30 years in just a couple of minutes. That has seriously just made my week. Brilliant. Who ever you are, thank you. Some great memories there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samael

Who keeps compiling the Devils montage videos? Just watched one called 'the best'. Absolutely superb. Simply brilliant. A fantastic walk through of 30 years in just a couple of minutes. That has seriously just made my week. Brilliant. Who ever you are, thank you. Some great memories there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's Paul Sullivan, it says on the blurb on the Devils website.