Year two of the three year plan.

Gaz G

Thread starter #1
Well, this is the second phase of the plan. How do people think it's going? Personally i think so far it's fantastic. The signings we have made have been a real statement of intent by our club and the way in which the club is being run is phoenominal.
The question to ask is, do we judge the success so far of the plan on what has been achieved r.e signings, season ticket sales etc or do we judge it on the on ice performance? Maybe a combination of both? I for one am very happy on the whole and cant help but think that we have come so far in little over a year. Just imagine what phase three will bring. Happy happy days in my eyes.

TheStub

I think signings and bums on seats are the big things. Matt can't buy trophies (look how long Panthers have tried) but he can build a sustainable club.

So, looking at the plan - he is well on the way to making this club self supporting. I would love to see phase 3 have us take control of our own rink, and make the facilities worthy of the team :D

As long as Matt and the back office team keep the operation performing at this level (professionally) I think we can afford a team that will challenge for everything, and an environment that will tempt the best players.

To steal a phrase "Happy Hockey Days" :D - welcome to the new golden age I think :D

TheStub said:
So, looking at the plan - he is well on the way to making this club self supporting. I would love to see phase 3 have us take control of our own rink, and make the facilities worthy of the team :D
All good things come to those who wait.

Watch this space come Dec when the rink contract comes up for renewal. The growing wisper that the current operator has not paid C.C.C. what was agreed in the contracted will not help them renew the lease if true.

Finny

Off ice - we are doing extremely well. The fact that we have the highest number of season ticket holders since the start of the EIHL is incredible when you think about it. That means we now have more in our little blue tent than we did in the WNIR!

The signings we have made so far are also among the most exciting since the start of the EIHL.

I can't say enough about this plan.
It's hard to believe how much we've come on since Matt Burge & co. took ownership of the devils.
I honestly believe him when he says he wants to make the Cardiff Devils a force within British ice hockey. Everything he has done so far, only supports this.

We're lucky we got Matt Burge :D
that's all I can say :)

Foxy

Finny said:
Off ice - we are doing extremely well. The fact that we have the highest number of season ticket holders since the start of the EIHL is incredible when you think about it. That means we now have more in our little blue tent than we did in the WNIR!

The signings we have made so far are also among the most exciting since the start of the EIHL.
How many season tickets haves been sold then?

Koop11

This is the 3 year plan to make us sustainable. That is still the plan and must be the clubs priority. Yes, I want us to win everything now but one step at a time. Having said that, Gerad has clearly been given the flexibility this year to really expand the quality and depth of the team. The signings so far have been top notch and maybe we’ll be seeing some silverware sooner rather than later. Without sounding negative though, we still have to see what other clubs final squads will look like before we can make predictions on championships.

Even if we don’t go and win anything this season, it’s the focus off the ice that is what will make this club self financing. The plan is to have us in a position whereby we’ll be able to compete each season. The fact that season ticket sales are at an all time Elite League era high is a massive achievement. The marketing last year was a sign of what potential there is in the local community. The management team that has been built has really helped invest time into events, promotions, marketing, match night entertainment, etc. What the club has done in such a short space of time is something special.

The future looks very bright. The lease on the rink could determine how fruitful our future may be but whoever gets that, I feel we have the right owner, right management team and right coach to have us competing with the biggest clubs in the UK. Rock on!

ASHIPP

To have a vision involves imagination and planning - to fulfil it takes organisation, skill and support. Whilst always being the realist, Matt and his team has consistently delivered on every promise so far. Off-ice organisation and activities have already secured ticket sales and the reputation of the Club is probably at its highest level since the start of the EIHL. From the top down, in every aspect of Club life there is quality, rationale and a secure feeling that things are on schedule. It's feeling good watching this unfold....and it just gets better and better every week. :D

TheStub

I think Matt is well on his way to achieving his goal of "the best ice hockey club in the UK".

It is important (and something that chavs and shuff fans may not recognise) to realise that a great club is measured by more than the silverware in the cabinet. It is about how much you enjoy seeing them play, and how you feel as a fan.

What Matt has done has made this club feel great again.

Although I would love to see us hoist some (all??) the trophies this year, I wouldn't be upset if we win nothing but had fun doing it. Lots of great matches, from a team that is good to watch.

The club, and the team, are moving in the right direction. I think it is only time before we are back where we belong (at the top :D ) and do it in a classy way. Something Simmsy could learn a lot about.

To be honest, I don't see why you can't win some trophies this season. You have signed some top players and all this "building a team" is a load of rubbish. The Blaze won the Grand Slam in 04/05 with 8 new imports. There is no reason why the Devils can't win the league next season and I'm sure Matt Burge isn't buying into this "lets play nice hockey and be under-dogs". He has put the money up for a championship winning team and no doubt he expects that next season.

James

Administrator
J.B said:
To be honest, I don't see why you can't win some trophies this season. You have signed some top players and all this "building a team" is a load of rubbish. The Blaze won the Grand Slam in 04/05 with 8 new imports.
It's less to do with 'building the team' and more to do with building the brand and building the crowds. Matt has stated on numerous occasions he won't bankroll the team but wants it to be self supporting. The idea is to win the league in 3 years in a sustainable way :)

I think ensuring that we have a team that can compete with the recent "top4" sides is clearly part of the aims for year 2 and I think those that run the team believe that the team we have on the ice should clearly be seen as being identifiably a Devils team.
The fact that so far we havent signed a guy who hasnt played in Cardiff before cannot be co-incidence. To me it is part of the branding. Having a firm base from last year and adding brits liike Richie and locals like Lyle has created a very identifiable team for the fans, adding Smith and Max to that has has built the exitement of the off season far beyond where I have known it since the ISL and must have helped with the Season ticket sales.

So this year things should be good, on and off the ice, the fans should hopefully happy and if we can begin to take control of our own sustainable future as we move into year 3 then its definately looking good!