xmas party tonight

rolf

Thread starter #1
does anybody know if kiddywinks are allowed into the wharf tonight for this event?? if this has already been addressed on another thread then i am very sorry.

the club website is ambiguously worded and i'd hate to bring the little uns only to disappoint.

thanks

the Devils Christmas Party is a great opportunity for both young and young at heart to mingle with the team in a relaxed (and warm!) environment.
Also from the original/old website article

On Monday 13th December we would love to invite you to the Devils Christmas Party at the Wharf Pub. A favourite with little Devils who get to meet their favourite players, this is a fantastic opportunity for fans of all ages to mingle with the Devils team in an informal festive environment! Free to everyone, this evening promises a great chance to catch up with your Devils friends and players away from the rink.
The party is geared up for families, including young 'uns.

Sheincar

Clare said:
How was the party? Did anyone else go? Well organised event??
Awful - there was no organisation. Never been to a Christmas party that had football on the TV!!! Oh and the raffle never materialised. Thank god there were a few balloons for the kids to play with.

It was definatley a strange night in all fairness, The team were sat on one table and we all were sat on others not knowing what the hell to do.

I felt quite bad for the team actually as i'm sure it was quite awkward for them. Speaking IMO other the kids (and me) were a little intimidated to go talk to them as i felt like we were disturbing them... but they were all lovely and friendly when we did go up to them it was just the atmosphere that made me feel like that not the players.

Most of the players left early too, so we ended up going, but nice of them to come in the first place :)

When we had Gretzkys bar in the old rink the players and fans would all get togeather and have a drink and a laugh unfortunetly now we do not have a (proper) bar which is not only seperate from the rink but a WARM place to be there isnt any intergration with players and fans,sorry to ramble but i think when fans get to know and speak to the players they will turn up at social events

Oh.... I was expecting a sort of "mingling with a drink on the dancefloor" thing with a party and disco atmosphere? Was it a sit down meal?

Some of the guys I've had the opportunity to speak to have seemed to feel slightly uncomfortable in the presence of large groups of fans... but it depends how the fans behave towards them really. If you chat to them like they're you're mate, they tend to get chattier. If you crowd them, they clam up. The stardom that comes with being an Elite League Ice Hockey player is practically nothing in comparison with the football and rugby players so I should think it takes a long time to get used to people crowding them for autographs lol!

If they were sat around a table like VIPS, then they probably felt like that and made it feel weird!

ASHIPP

samcalo85 said:
It was definatley a strange night in all fairness, The team were sat on one table and we all were sat on others not knowing what the hell to do.

I felt quite bad for the team actually as i'm sure it was quite awkward for them. Speaking IMO other the kids (and me) were a little intimidated to go talk to them as i felt like we were disturbing them... but they were all lovely and friendly when we did go up to them it was just the atmosphere that made me feel like that not the players.

Most of the players left early too, so we ended up going, but nice of them to come in the first place :)
This is a real shame - its always awkward trying to start a conversation with an individual surrounded by a large group of people! From what I understand, the Kids Xmas party was a great success for everyone last year - the players dressed up as 'presents' and one was Santa Claus!

I'm sure it will be much more atmospheric for players and 'guest' at the WinterWonderland Skate on Monday 21st. Don't forget it. :cool:

Sheincar

Clare said:
Oh.... I was expecting a sort of "mingling with a drink on the dancefloor" thing with a party and disco atmosphere? Was it a sit down meal?

Some of the guys I've had the opportunity to speak to have seemed to feel slightly uncomfortable in the presence of large groups of fans... but it depends how the fans behave towards them really. If you chat to them like they're you're mate, they tend to get chattier. If you crowd them, they clam up. The stardom that comes with being an Elite League Ice Hockey player is practically nothing in comparison with the football and rugby players so I should think it takes a long time to get used to people crowding them for autographs lol!

If they were sat around a table like VIPS, then they probably felt like that and made it feel weird!
Don't be daft there was no food!!! There was merchandise to buy tho!! Oh and there were no large groups of fans either.

To be honest the meet the players was like that this year. First time I've been to one of these.

Players were stood/sat together chatting and looking awkward, fans/kids looking sheepish and not sure whether to go up to them.

It's a hard one.

ASHIPP

Don't forget the 'Skate with the Devils' at the City Centre WinterWonderland rink on Monday 21st December - maybe everyone will be far more at home on the ice. :cool:

The Devils' community and promotional appearances (e.g. Christmas lights switch on) seem to be far more successful than the small informal do's this year. :?