Would like some good news please!

Thread starter #1
I know we have G and Franny confirmed..........

But would really like some good news please - a fans favourite signing etc... it all seems a bit negative at the moment.

Especially since I have just seen Dave Simm's twitter which says "Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday's Sheffield Star all done and dusted with good news, signing news."

Thread starter #2
gandl said:

But would really like some good news please - a fans favourite signing etc... it all seems a bit negative at the moment.

Especially since I have just seen Dave Simm's twitter which says "Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday's Sheffield Star all done and dusted with good news, signing news."
Oops have just re-read that and i'm not trying to say that G and Franny weren't good news ;)

DevilDom

gandl said:

Agreed. I thought we might get something at the farewell on Tuesday other than a repeat of what had already been annouced. I guess the owner is fire-fighting up in Shuff at the moment though.

ASHIPP

gandl said:

Expect Mustakovs, Dowd and Phillips to be announced? :? The two Brits were probably the ones most likely to have left this year - all changed now Finnerty is in charge. This might explain why Finner was absent from our Devils players farewell do. Wouldn't be suprised if Tait leaves to go to another British club (Belfast or Coventry). He was assistant coach at Steelers last year and it seems some of their fans thought he might have been Ben Simon's replacement. :?

The club knows the fans are anxious for more good news - they have responded fairly quickly in the past. Would be great to get another uplifting announcement this week or early next week. :cool:

Finny

How about the announcement that Corey Neilson is back as Player-Coach for the Panthers for next season?

Surely that is good news all round?

Finny

ASHIPP said:
Expect Mustakovs, Dowd and Phillips to be announced? :?
If you're taking these rumours from Boris on Steeltalk, I wouldn't believe too much of what he says. I think he just got lucky with the Finnerty rumour.

Chris

Administrator
How about the announcement that Corey Neilson is back as Player-Coach for the Panthers for next season?

Surely that is good news all round?
He won 2 more trophies than we managed, so it's probably good for the Panthers, even if their fans were all going ape half way through the season.

If they can keep hold of Strachan as well it could be a fairly interesting season though :)

Chris.

ASHIPP

Finny said:
ASHIPP said:
Expect Mustakovs, Dowd and Phillips to be announced? :?
If you're taking these rumours from Boris on Steeltalk, I wouldn't believe too much of what he says. I think he just got lucky with the Finnerty rumour.
Although there were rumours of Philips joining the Devils, weren't there? And Philips and Dowd are friends of Finnerty, and he has already said he wants to keep his 'core of players' doesn't he? Mustakovs is 'netminder of the year' and helped them win the league last year - only Kowalski is in the same class and has already signed for Panthers.

PR is 'bigging up' Finner and the news of signing announcements already for the Steelers next week in the Elite League website article.........WHAT ABOUT SOME DEVIL'S NEWS, PR? :?

ASHIPP

Bought my copy of 'the South Wales Echo' this morning on way to work.....for one horrible moment, I thought I'd bought 'the Sheffield Star'. Yet MORE column inches in the sport section about....the Sheffield Steelers, their players and their new coach. What a complete waste of valuable reporting space :evil: :evil: :evil:

Terry Philips and 'the Echo' have done a truly fantastic job covering the Devils this last season. But surely Terry's long association with the Club and the fans would mean that he would know that we are simply interested in OUR TEAM and OUR PLAYERS.

It's not as if 'the Echo' had run out of ice hockey ideas. Terry has missed a fantastic opportunity to report big time on no less than 4 ice hockey events happening this weekend featuring the Devils....

1. ENL Devils quarterfinal game
2. Fantastic U16's game
3. Team GB friendlies against Netherlands featuring 2 Devils top players
4. Charity Fashion Show at Hilton Hotel on Monday evening featuring 4 current Cardiff Devils.

COME ON,'Echo', LESS THEM AND MORE US, PLEASE. :cool:

Chris

Administrator
Have to say I did think the same thing when I loaded up the-inferno this morning and saw the latest news from ICWales was...
RYAN Finnerty’s first job as Sheffield Steelers coach is to retain their British players with Cardiff-born captain Jonathan Phillips...
Why are we hearing about the Steelers? Great Ragan may own them, but I suspect most Devils fans would rather be hearing about things linked to our team as pointed out above.

We still haven't established who wasn't telling the truth about Finnerty being in or out of the country, Terrys article has some quotes from Finnerty which seem to be from his position as coach of the Steelers, not as a Devils player, so either Finnerty has been taking calls from Terry Phillips and Bob Westerdale from Kenya, or he's still in this country...

With Simms announcing Steelers have signings lined up for next week and the 'Star' articles are already written, I wonder how it will be spun if any of our players from the season just gone find their way to Sheffield?

Chris.

ASHIPP

Chris said:
Have to say I did think the same thing when I loaded up the-inferno this morning and saw the latest news from ICWales was...
RYAN Finnerty’s first job as Sheffield Steelers coach is to retain their British players with Cardiff-born captain Jonathan Phillips...
Why are we hearing about the Steelers? Great Ragan may own them, but I suspect most Devils fans would rather be hearing about things linked to our team as pointed out above.

We still haven't established who wasn't telling the truth about Finnerty being in or out of the country, Terrys article has some quotes from Finnerty which seem to be from his position as coach of the Steelers, not as a Devils player, so either Finnerty has been taking calls from Terry Phillips and Bob Westerdale from Kenya, or he's still in this country...

With Simms announcing Steelers have signings lined up for next week and the 'Star' articles are already written, I wonder how it will be spun if any of our players from the season just gone find their way to Sheffield?Chris.
(My bold) - Chris - very good points. With Robert Dowd having signed for Belfast, there are already 'little leakages' from the Steelers' organisation that they are about to announce a really good replacement for him. Rumour mill going mad up there suggests that Phil and Sam are amongst the names. :shock: :evil:

At the moment, unfortunately, there is a perception that the Devils appear to be 'the poor relation' right now in terms of positive media coverage this week (last night's Sport Wales on BBC excluded).......let's just hope the Devils don't become 'the farm team' for the other lot as well. :eek: :? :evil:

I'm not too worried about the lack of Devils news so far with regards to us signing players - I'd rather G / Franny take their time and get the right players in rather than rush to buy any old player. Plus I'm guessing with the American / some European leagues still having a few weeks (if you include playoffs) of their seasons left, then it's unlikely there's been talks with potential import players until their seasons have ended.

Would be good to hear something in regards to a few current players re-signing though

osh

I think a priority for any team would be to establish as strong a British contingent as possible, especially the players each team already has at their respective teams. Once they've been signed, they can't go anywhere else and it leaves a coach more freedom to see which import/position or type of import he needs to be on the look out for and sign

DevilDom

Is PR / Echo trying to test how much we'll take? Will their be stories about the steelers on the welsh news next? I certainly won't buy the echo if it has a steelers headline like that in it. I mean can you imagine the sheffield star carrying a story about the devils? Its a complete joke.

TheStub

Re: Re: Would like some good news please!

DevilDom said:
Is PR / Echo trying to test how much we'll take? Will their be stories about the steelers on the welsh news next? I certainly won't buy the echo if it has a steelers headline like that in it. I mean can you imagine the sheffield star carrying a story about the devils? Its a complete joke.
Hasn't the Echo verged on it?

Looking at the trouble the Stir causes the Steelers with the occasional critical story - it would be nice for the Echo to actually report and press sometimes rather than always take the ultra pro Devils line.