Would a UK team join the KHL?

Thread starter #1
Very true Gazza, at the moment at least. Notingham would be easily the best placed at the moment, followed by Belfast I would think.

However, the Devils have mentioned Europe is part of their long term thinking (correct me if I'm mistaken) and I would think that this is a possibility down the line.

Of course there would be an element of risk (relying on it resulting in a suddden rise in fans as a result of joining), but being part of th KHL could revolutionise the sport in the UK, particularly in making it a part of our sporting psyche IMO.

osh

I can't evr see a UK team participating in such a league for various reasons.

The cost of travelling around Europe would be huge for a start. The team involved would need to sell out all home games to assist with funding. The standard of hockey players needed would not be available within the UK ( perhaps one or two bench warmers only ) so we would be recruiting imports to represent whichever team would be playing. Salaries of such players would be mind boggling. It has already been proven that ice hockey attendances would not even sustain something along the lines of Superleague level. let alone travelling around Europe etc. Uless a very generous sponsor ( i.e a rich Arab consortium or similar ) would come on board, forget it. Then again, if an NHL farm team was to play out of lets say Nottingham, who knows what could develop !

Finny

I'm not sure I would like to play in a european league. I'd like to see us qualify for a Europa Cup or European Ice Hockey Champions League, but not a full league season week in week out. My GCSE French has got rusty and there is no way I could go onto a french ice hockey forum to tell them that their team sucks and Brad Voth barely killed their starplayer.

Plus, does Wannabe2 know how to say "Happy Hockey Days" in Azbekisxtani?

It would be interesting if an NHL team try putting a farm team in somewhere like London and use it to tap into the European market more by playing them in the KHL. But if/when the EIHL is no longer running - I would prefer us to drop down a level and try merge with the EPL and Scottish teams, rather than join a European Superleague.

Wannabe2

A. I dont think any EIHL could afford to play in a European league.
B. More importantly Finny is correct i cant say HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS in Azerbajazi.

James

Administrator
I'd like to see us compete in some cross Europe Cup type games, a league would be a bit too much I guess.

Oh and the internet tells me the phrase you are looking for is 'mæsud xokkey æyyam'

Wannabe2

James said:
I'd like to see us compete in some cross Europe Cup type games, a league would be a bit too much I guess.

Oh and the internet tells me the phrase you are looking for is 'mæsud xokkey æyyam'
You have been having help from Maxi. :lol:

Thread starter #9
Some very interesting responses, I think the travel aspect would be a major factor after all Amur Khabarovsk is pretty much on the other side of the world on the northern Chinese border!
It would be awesome to join such a league if only to see such varied opposition week in week out.
I firmly believe the expansion KHL is a massive step forward for European Hockey hopefully the UK will have some sort of representation in the future.

TheStub

It would be nice, but the EIHL and British development isn't there yet to support it.

We have shown that cheque book teams with only token Brits can't survive in this country. But a totally new NHL farm team would be intereting. Trouble is, there would realistically need to be 29 other farm teams too ;) Plus, they like those teams to stand on their own feet to an extent.

Soundwave1 said:
Very true Gazza, at the moment at least. Notingham would be easily the best placed at the moment, followed by Belfast I would think.
Nottingham Coventry and Cardiff are reportatly in talks for a KHL 2nd teir. The Giants would be some way off being able to afford the extra travel. Although presumably we wouldnt have to pay for teams to come play us in a euro league.....might pay for itself in the longer term.

A euro league wouldnt interest me, what rivalries will you have, what incentive would the crowds have to boooooo the oppostion? At the end of ISL the 3 remaining teams, and Manchester Storm (who stayed in business for a while after leaving the league) approached Holland teams for some sort of Northern Euro league, from what i understand we came close to it. Until Coventry and another BNL (at the time) team came to them with the idea of EIHL.

Although if it means my beloved Eisbaren come to the UK again then it gets the Jacko seal of approval :D

Thread starter #12
Jacko said:
Although if it means my beloved Eisbaren come to the UK again then it gets the Jacko seal of approval :D
Me too any league that brings Tampere Ilves or any Finnish team to the UK gets my backing 110%.
Rivalries would develop over time and the prospect of playing another British team in a Euro league would have a ‘darby’ match atmosphere I am sure.

I though the KHL 2 was discussed as a development league for teams affiliated with or junior teams of the teams in the main KHL?