Will the BBT be a fortress again?

fried egg

Thread starter #1
Bigbigteam is how Thommo describes the Devils this year,given that the Ice down the bay is considered small, can we expect it to be a very tough environment for away teams to play in again?

Mark666

I know if i was a hockey player (in some sort of alternate reality) I wouldn't look forward to my trips to the tent. A long drive followed by a small dressing room then close up, super noisy fans and the small ice pad being patrolled by some big dudes. Tough day at the office I think.

DevilDom

I certainly hope so. If there was one small thing I missed last year (not saying I would change it btw) it was a bit more of the the rough stuff! This year we have a big team, small ice pad and the loudest most intimidating fans in the league - all the receipes to make it extremely uncomfortable for away teams coming to our rink.

fried egg

Thread starter #5
Guess so,but this year I think it could be brutal at times.Last year Weller was too good a player to drop the gloves and sit out penalties,I can see Voth smashing people about and Franks knocking people about.Throw in Max and Hills checking and it could well be very hostile.

DevilDom

fried egg said:
Guess so,but this year I think it could be brutal at times.Last year Weller was too good a player to drop the gloves and sit out penalties,I can see Voth smashing people about and Franks knocking people about.Throw in Max and Hills checking and it could well be very hostile.
Not forgetting G and the fact that we have Scott Dobben, Jeff Pierce and Josh Batch who are all bigger than the players they have effectively replaced!

voth26

the guys have to show up from the first game, usually the devils are slow to start we cant afford to be like that this season. we have to put wins on the board from the off to bred confidence and to generate the winning mentality hopefully this yrs team will have that and will fight for every point and never give up in a game until the last hooter. last yrs team never knew when they were beat so expecting the same this year if that happens the BBT wont be a nice place to visit on a sat/sun

ASHIPP

The BBT has been a particularly difficult and intimidating place for other teams for the past 2-3 seasons.

The Devils' home record is fantastic, especially last year. And they know that a key element of mounting a successful title challenge starts with nailing as many home games as possible, especially from the start. Expect more of the same this season. ;) :cool:

Finny

Average Height of Squads so far (according to Elite prospects):

Cardiff: 185 cm
Hull: 183 cm
Nottingham: 183 cm
Sheffield: 183 cm
Coventry: 182 cm
Dundee: 182 cm
Braehead: 181 cm
Belfast: 179 cm

No point in looking at Edinburgh or Fife yet as they have signed so few players. At the moment we are certainly the biggest lineup and a lot bigger than Belfast!

Thread starter #12
So we have an average height of 6'1". Ben Davies pulls that down a bit too.Have we ever Iced a squad of this size? Only been watching a couple of years.If so how successful was it?

Finny said:
Average Height of Squads so far (according to Elite prospects):

Cardiff: 185 cm
Hull: 183 cm
Nottingham: 183 cm
Sheffield: 183 cm
Coventry: 182 cm
Dundee: 182 cm
Braehead: 181 cm
Belfast: 179 cm

No point in looking at Edinburgh or Fife yet as they have signed so few players. At the moment we are certainly the biggest lineup and a lot bigger than Belfast!
For some reason Adams isn't factored into that. Our weight is high up too.

Finny

fried egg said:
Have we ever Iced a squad of this size? Only been watching a couple of years.If so how successful was it?
According to eliteprospects, this is the tallest squad we have ever had, the second being last seasons.
However, as Hynod has pointed out it doesn't include G yet, so I've emailed them to point that out.

fdlf666

May be a fortress but only until November-ish. Council bringing forward Winter Wonderland for our new home then, but no home fixtures over Christmas / New Year period as will be used for public skating.