Why Kazakhstan?

Thread starter #1
With Farmer joining the small but significant number of Brits heading to Kazakhstan I'm wondering what they are offering over there and what state the hockey is in? I know its very much a country on the up with oil money and post-soviet optimism rather than the dusty, donkey hating place of popular culture.

As they say over there "Yakshemash." ;)

TheStub

Hockey is a national sport, with the national squad in the top tier of world hockey or bubbling between the two.

The money must talk.

But from a UK point of view, experience in a league with money, extra coaching etc can only make our Brits better. Hopefully they will return with honed skills and more experience - ready to improve the next batch of Brits.

Oppertunity to play in another league in another country
Good salary
Win bonuses
Accommodation
Training 3x day
Meals provided by the club
And hopefully the chance to improve as a player

Gingers Husband said:
Kazahkstan number one country in world,
All other countries run by little girls.
Yes I heard that too :p

To be honest I was racking my brains. I've lived in Cardiff all my life and the prospect of moving to Kazakhstan (even for a short time) wouldn't appeal to me, but I guess Thompson's comment sums it up really

Paul Thompson said:
I want to wish Robert all the best. These guys have been offered unbelievable contracts and we cannot deny Robert that opportunity.

TheStub

Re: Re: Why Kazakhstan?

shoes_off said:
Gingers Husband said:
Kazahkstan number one country in world,
All other countries run by little girls.
Yes I heard that too :p

To be honest I was racking my brains. I've lived in Cardiff all my life and the prospect of moving to Kazakhstan (even for a short time) wouldn't appeal to me, but I guess Thompson's comment sums it up really
Have to be honest, I have similar feelings about Cardiff :lol:

Road Army, baby. Us out of towners are the best fans because we commit to the travel just to see our team. Worst of all, we can't have a drink because we need to drive!

If I was a player and was offered a contract there I'd jump at the chance. To experience such an alien post-soviet culture, knowing you were safe and being paid to improve at the game you love... Just for one season, 7 months...

You would, wouldn't you?

Skippy

Gareth chalmers made some good comments on why guys are heading out there

"Also some questions floating around the internet re Kazakhstan. The league is very much up and coming and a possible route to the KHL. -- Gareth Chalmers (@garethchalmers)"

"There is a lot of investment in that region right now, guys are making 4 maybe 5 times as much as they can staying in the UK. -- Gareth Chalmers (@garethchalmers)"

"When you take into account the salary + bonuses in Kazakhstan guys can make around $80k there in one season. -- Gareth Chalmers (@garethchalmers)"