Who would be your ideal next HC and AC?

Finny

I choose that because it’s teams we current play. If you go back to include the originals clubs too now, Cardiff is ranked even lower overall. Cardiff having 17 titles since they began in 86. Compare that to Durham Wasps at 24 titles, Nottingham at 24, Sheffield at 27.
“We play” ;)

Im guessing you have taken those numbers from Wikipedia? In which case you have included in Durham’s total their 9 Castle Eden Cups. Do you know what the Castle Eden Cup is?
From memory it was an invite-only competition for teams in the North East sponsored by the Castle Eden brewery. Now, if you want to count them then that is fine. But you would also have to count the comparative trophies from that era.
So there is the Autumn Trophy, which the Devils won twice
The Welsh Invitational Cup. 5 titles
Southern Cup. 4 titles
Charity Cup. 8 titles.
Trafford/ Sheffield Toirnaments. 2 titles.
Etc

So overall
8 League Titles
7 Playoff Championships
5 Cup Championships
3 Conference Titles
24 Other Competition Titles

So by your method that is 47 trophies. And I’ve probably missed a couple.

Which as someone pretending to be a Devils fan you’ll be able to pretend you’re utterly delighted about. ;)

moggy#9

“We play” ;)

Im guessing you have taken those numbers from Wikipedia? In which case you have included in Durham’s total their 9 Castle Eden Cups. Do you know what the Castle Eden Cup is?
From memory it was an invite-only competition for teams in the North East sponsored by the Castle Eden brewery. Now, if you want to count them then that is fine. But you would also have to count the comparative trophies from that era.
So there is the Autumn Trophy, which the Devils won twice
The Welsh Invitational Cup. 5 titles
Southern Cup. 4 titles
Charity Cup. 8 titles.
Trafford/ Sheffield Toirnaments. 2 titles.
Etc

So overall
8 League Titles
7 Playoff Championships
5 Cup Championships
3 Conference Titles
24 Other Competition Titles

So by your method that is 47 trophies. And I’ve probably missed a couple.

Which as someone pretending to be a Devils fan you’ll be able to pretend you’re utterly delighted about. ;)
Do me a favour. You're comparing the castle Eden cup with the Trafford tournament and Welsh cup? Really?

The castle Eden cup was probably on par with the Scottish cup. Scotland and the north east were the power houses of British hockey. The Trafford tourney wasn't even completely made up of full length matches. Meanwhile the Welsh cup started when deeside was a pretty decent team relative to the devils, but quickly degenerated when the devils sent what was basically a satans team to deeside to contest it, because the real devils team was playing (iirc) Tesla Pardubice in Cardiff.

You might as well include the Christmas cup the devils beat Bournemouth stags in, in December 1986. The most credible thing you mention is the autumn trophy which was a second tier competition for those not good enough to go into the proper autumn cup.

I might not have liked Durham at the time, but their achievements in that era deserve respect.

Finny

Do me a favour. You're comparing the castle Eden cup with the Trafford tournament and Welsh cup? Really?

The castle Eden cup was probably on par with the Scottish cup. Scotland and the north east were the power houses of British hockey. The Trafford tourney wasn't even completely made up of full length matches. Meanwhile the Welsh cup started when deeside was a pretty decent team relative to the devils, but quickly degenerated when the devils sent what was basically a satans team to deeside to contest it, because the real devils team was playing (iirc) Tesla Pardubice in Cardiff.

You might as well include the Christmas cup the devils beat Bournemouth stags in, in December 1986. The most credible thing you mention is the autumn trophy which was a second tier competition for those not good enough to go into the proper autumn cup.

I might not have liked Durham at the time, but their achievements in that era deserve respect.
I’m certainly not disrespecting Durham. My point was that back in those days there were all sorts of invitational cups that teams added to pad out the fixture list. Cardiff never won the Castle Eden Cup as they were never invited into it. (Although I think we once bizarrely played in the Scottish Cup??????)
The Welsh Cup was a silly cup as you pointed out but was then changed to the Welsh Invitational Cup and then the Southern Cup to get another completion similar to the Castle Eden Cup. IIRC it include the likes of Slough, Basingstoke and Milton Keynes.

Ultimately the only way to compare success is to count the league recognised trophies ie
League Championships
Playoff Championships
Autumn Cup/Challenge Cup

Cardiff have 6, 7 and 4 for a total of 17.
Durham had 5, 4, 4 for a total of 13

Sheffield have 9, 10, 7 and as much as pains me to say with a total of 26 are the most successful team of all time.

Nottingham have 2, 6, 14 for 22.
Belfast have 7, 3 and 5 for 15.

You can argue over whether cups are as important as league titles but whichever side of the argument you pick the Cardiff Devils have to be in the top 3 for most successful UK teams of all time.

Earnie

We are a bit off topic?
Despite P.Russel doing well in Germany the temptation of returning to the U.K. and have a more settled family life might be great.

kettdevil1

We are a bit off topic?
Despite P.Russel doing well in Germany the temptation of returning to the U.K. and have a more settled family life might be great.
Yes, that is a big pull. Quite impressed with his GB team so far - good to watch and the flaws are fixable things

For sure, but look at Durham if they‘d had the backing & continued into present day they’d certainly be the U.K.s. top club. Going back look at the clubs histories the problem is circumstantial as clubs such as Belfast started in 2002, Sheffield started in 1991 and Cardiff in 86 and the clubs who dominated at that point no longer exist. So no it’s not ignorance only measuring the EIHL, it’s commonsense.

Belfast started when ... l was in Belfast at least a year before that watching the devils away. You seem to quote a lot of shite on times with so much authority you expect posters to believe the trash you talk

Finny

December 2000, l was a year out, big deal…..
Actually you’re two years out as Belfast played the whole of the 2000-01 season. It was the Odyssey that didn’t open until December. The Belfast Bees played on the road for the first couple of months. Similar to what we did when BBT was being built.

Wannabe2

December 2000, l was a year out, big deal…..
It may have been a big deal for you, but none of your posts are a big deal for us. Ever tried being your age or even trying to be non confrontational try it you just may like it ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

kingmo19.1

Another thread derailed and crashed into oblivion by the forum jester !!!!!

Back in topic …….

My trusted sources have confirmed it will be Russell !

august04 2.0

Pete Russell and chuck webber ?
Russell sounds like a done deal. I hope he has an experienced assistant alongside him. Chuck Webber would fit the bill very well I think, would he want to play second fiddle to Russell though? Doing it temporarily for GB is one thing, to do it as your next job is different altogether I think, although he has performed that role for the last few years.

moggy#9

Russell sounds like a done deal. I hope he has an experienced assistant alongside him. Chuck Webber would fit the bill very well I think, would he want to play second fiddle to Russell though? Doing it temporarily for GB is one thing, to do it as your next job is different altogether I think, although he has performed that role for the last few years.
I've got to say, he seems massively overqualified to be an assistant. If it could be pulled off, then much respect, but I'm kind of expecting someone who is less experienced but highly motivated to learn from Russell.