who has Impressed/Disappointed you so far this season

Earnie

I am impressed with them all. What they achieved in the last nine days (5 wins out of 6) is a credit to them as a whole team. I don't think this is the time to express dissapointment in anyone.
Hywel :

Yes everyones entitled to an opionion but I was stood behind someone at the Newcastle game and he was saying to his mate how dissappointed he was with Pele and Matzka.OK their racking up the points but I thought they would bring a bit more to the side he said.No pleasing some people.Pele 36 pts in 19 games and Matzka 29 pts in 19 games looks pretty impressive to me.

zoesdevil

thing is I dont think Matzka was bought as an out and out scorer he was more for the assist side of his game which is what he is doing with flying colours and he is one of the top players in the league at it, plus he is scoring too!!!

fried egg said:
Yes everyones entitled to an opionion but I was stood behind someone at the Newcastle game and he was saying to his mate how dissappointed he was with Pele and Matzka.OK their racking up the points but I thought they would bring a bit more to the side he said.No pleasing some people.Pele 36 pts in 19 games and Matzka 29 pts in 19 games looks pretty impressive to me.

that is absoultey incredible :roll:

Impressed
Michel - Enough said, this guy simply rules.
Macrae - Not many goals on the board but a great support player, with loads of assists to his name.
Pelle - Playing now like Tylor played this time last season, which can only lead to good things if he keeps it up.
Birbraer - Looking like the Maxi from three seasons ago, hungry for goals and playing a hard game.

Not impressed
Voth - Not a popular choice as he is one of my favourite players but he just hasn't seemed on the pace so far this season. I know he's been out for weeks with injury and came back with a goal on the weekend, hopefully he'll turn it around and prove me wrong.
Lyle - Not playing anywhere as well as we all know he can. Can still pull off some great saves when he wants to but looks very shaky at times.
Symonds - I know he can play well but at the moment seems to be taking a lot of silly unneccesary penalties.
Sawyer - For leaving us up s**t creek without a paddle when we were already short on D and missing our only other tough guy.

DevilDom said:
Finny said:
I thought Matzka was great on Saturday, really worked hard and chased down a lot of loose pucks. Was very close to being my MOTM.
Problem is that he came with huge expectations and people have been expecting him to burst into life and tear other teams to shreds scoring a hatful of goals!

Personally I'd like to see him score some more goals but I think Matzka is one of those players who makes all the players around him look good without necessarily getting the credit he deserves.
Although I may be wrong, I'll think that you will find that at his previous clubs Scotts ice time would have been far less as he would have been playing on either the 2nd or even 3rd lines. Only match practice will increase his fitness to enable him to operate on our first line. In my opinion he is by far our most skillful player, his vision is also outstanding. As the season progresses so will his fitness. I still think he will prove to be one of the leagues best signings.

DevilDom

BLOCK 3 DEVIL said:
DevilDom said:
Finny said:
I thought Matzka was great on Saturday, really worked hard and chased down a lot of loose pucks. Was very close to being my MOTM.
Problem is that he came with huge expectations and people have been expecting him to burst into life and tear other teams to shreds scoring a hatful of goals!

Personally I'd like to see him score some more goals but I think Matzka is one of those players who makes all the players around him look good without necessarily getting the credit he deserves.
Although I may be wrong, I'll think that you will find that at his previous clubs Scotts ice time would have been far less as he would have been playing on either the 2nd or even 3rd lines. Only match practice will increase his fitness to enable him to operate on our first line. In my opinion he is by far our most skillful player, his vision is also outstanding. As the season progresses so will his fitness. I still think he will prove to be one of the leagues best signings.
Having spoken to Scott at the meet the players event I know this to be true. He was also used to 2 months conditioning training prior to the season starting so I agree wholeheartdly with what you say.

My initial post was stating what I believe some people expected from Matzka and like I said although i'd like to see a few more goals from him I'm more than happy with his contribution and particularly how is getting the best out of Pelle and Birbraer (which is no mean feat given how erratic Max can be). I think we have one of the best 1st and 3rd lines in the country.

For me it's the obvious choice I'm afraid, Pelle has been great, definately most impressed with him. This is only my first season following the devils as I'm primarily NHL fan so they're all new to me, but I love watching Phil Hill and Tyler Michel too.

Wannabe2

1. Who has impressed so far, every bugger in a red and white shirt.
2. who hasnt, the other shower in funny coloured shirts.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Russky

Thread starter #33
I tell you what, next sunday I will purposefully watch, when my stewarding duties allow, Matzka to see what he does do in that game in terms of his support work and chance creation! If he impresses me then I will eat humble pie and say he has impressed me on this thread!

BTW Rolf! Thnx mate for your earlier post!!!

Chris

Administrator
Here goes, be wary though as i've only seen us play maybe 3 or 4 times, 1 of them being an exhibition game, so i'm going off those brief glimpses and what I see/read on MNL and the forums...

Impressed

Pelle - I honestly wasn't convinced by this signing, as I no doubt said in person to a fair few of you, I thought with the other teams signing 1st liners from higher leagues, we were going to end up with another duff season, turns out I couldn't have been anymore wrong. The first game I saw, my friends had said how small he was, but this seems to lead to him being unnoticed on the ice, not getting nailed every time he touches the puck (as I thought he would) and getting into positions where he seems to score wonder goals :)

Matzka - As I said above, i've not really seen much of the team and I can't remember a great deal about Matzka, but i'm wondering if he's the old holding together our rather good first line. From what others are saying, he could have scored more goals, but he has a bucketload of assists and seems to be helping Pelle no end, i'm also sure with his help/playing style, we're starting to see the best of Birbraer again which can only be a good thing!

Sam Smith - Another signing I wasn't really sure what to make of, I thought we'd be getting just an average brit in who'd end up spending 50% of his time on the bench, but he seems/sounds able to hold his own on the 3rd line, plus is contributing going forwards! It also sounds like he can handle himself on the ice, hopefully playing alongside Michel and Macrae will continue to help his game develop and we'll have another good Brit player on the roster :)

Disappointed

Lyle - I know he picked up man of the match in Hull, but from what i've read on the forums and MNL, Lyle seems to be suffering from some sort of confidence problem at the moment. We saw how good he was last season, and I don't think he's all that rubbish this season, but our seemingly wayward defense can't be helping, hopefully he can find last seasons form soon and stop all the questioning of British netminders again!

Richardson - Possibly time to don the flame proof suit with this one, but it's kind of similar to above, last season I think he was voted our MVP and we all saw how could he was on defense, and in a forward role I guess after that mega goal he scored in the big blue tent! However i'm not quite sure what's going on this season, from the limited amount i've seen of Richardson, he just didn't seem to be the player he was last season! I'm wondering if he's not been helped by the total turn over in our defense again, hopefully when he returns from injury and gets some games alongside Weller, we'll see last seasons Richardson again!

Most Improved

Michel - Not sure this is the right category for Michel, as he was pretty damn good last season and I don't know where he's found/improved that scoring ability, but it's awesome to see/hear about almost each game at the moment! This is no doubt helped by Sam Smith and Macrae on that 3rd line, hopefully it'll continue all season long!

To be honest, there are probably other players I could/should have put up there in my reply, but i've seen so little of the team I can only go off the players who made an impact in the games I have managed to catch.

Chris.