Where should import numbers go?

TheStub

Thread starter #1
The EPL have a maximum imports on the ice rule. I think it is their way of ensuring Brits get ice time.

Personally I'd rather slash import numbers (8 or even better 6) and avoid complicated rules on numbers on the ice.

Gazza272

Re: Meeting news ?

TheStub said:
The EPL have a maximum imports on the ice rule. I think it is their way of ensuring Brits get ice time.

Personally I'd rather slash import numbers (8 or even better 6) and avoid complicated rules on numbers on the ice.

We cant get teams signing enough brits at 10 imports! Where would they all come from at 8 or 6?

Import limits are never ever the problem nor the answer for this country. The problem stems from when kids at younger not getting the proper coaching. Over time teams have had coaches who cant even skate because there is no money put into it.

Just look at the EPL and what happens with Brits there. Chinn, Longstaff, Dixon, Wales, Lyle, Owen, Koulikov, the list goes on, its majority of British players are either guys who play part time to make a bit of extra cash, veterans who havent got the legs for the EIHL or Brits who were never going to be EIHL standard.

The EPL doesnt have more than 2 repersentatives at world championships and there is a reason. Look at the improvement over time of guys like Jason Hewitt and MArk Thomas who at the start of the EIHL had only played roller hockey I believe, over time playing with imports being coached by guys who had played at AHL level and had NHL trainings camps these guys are now GB Internationals. Why because they got tested at a higher level.

All import levels would do is have Ben Davies playing more Ben Davieses. What we need is for Ben Davies to play more Steve Munn's, Jeremy Rebeks, Craig Wellers.

Development starts from the bottom up not the top down. We should be working towards an unlimited import system where Brits earn their slot on ability.

Paul Sullivan

Gazza272 said:
Development starts from the bottom up not the top down.
I agree with this completely.
We should be working towards an unlimited import system where Brits earn their slot on ability.
But I totally disagree with the premise of this. Irrespective of limitations on numbers, if we are talking ideal-world wish lists, what we should really be working towards is a system where there are so many talented Brits that the imports are earning their slots and filling the shortfall.

You won't see successful Leagues in NA saying things like 'Let's flood our system with Europeans and the home-growns can earn their spots'.

Plus we do sadly have to remember who we are dealing with here. There are still enough people left who made the brilliant Superleague decisions to have us completely implode once more. Ask Franny what he thinks about unlimited import slots and what it did for his career. It is all very well having Denis Chasse on your team but if Ben Davies would be seen as a liability (just an example) on a roster full of Chasse's then he just won't get the chance to play alongside the 'talent' (another of your points I agree with. It is vital they are integrated into pressure situations or they will never develop).

Personally I think the model the BNL had - 8 Imports - is a sound one for this country. I think it's fair to say our performance last year (as pretty much a BNL side for the whole year) backs that up. Providing you don't do anything like throw away the team that feeds you young talent, of course ;)

You could make a halfway house of throwing 2 or 3 dual-nats at it and reduce that before you do anything else. All this though is dependant on planning, structure, character and those who care for the sport and it's development rather than hanging banners at all costs.

So no breath-holding is advised.

Gazza272

Paul Sullivan said:
But I totally disagree with the premise of this. Irrespective of limitations on numbers, if we are talking ideal-world wish lists, what we should really be working towards is a system where there are so many talented Brits that the imports are earning their slots and filling the shortfall.

You won't see successful Leagues in NA saying things like 'Let's flood our system with Europeans and the home-growns can earn their spots'.

Plus we do sadly have to remember who we are dealing with here. There are still enough people left who made the brilliant Superleague decisions to have us completely implode once more. Ask Franny what he thinks about unlimited import slots and what it did for his career. It is all very well having Denis Chasse on your team but if Ben Davies would be seen as a liability (just an example) on a roster full of Chasse's then he just won't get the chance to play alongside the 'talent' (another of your points I agree with. It is vital they are integrated into pressure situations or they will never develop).

Personally I think the model the BNL had - 8 Imports - is a sound one for this country. I think it's fair to say our performance last year (as pretty much a BNL side for the whole year) backs that up. Providing you don't do anything like throw away the team that feeds you young talent, of course ;)

You could make a halfway house of throwing 2 or 3 dual-nats at it and reduce that before you do anything else. All this though is dependant on planning, structure, character and those who care for the sport and it's development rather than hanging banners at all costs.

So no breath-holding is advised.

But had Neil Francis been brought up in a properly funded nationally backed Development system he probably would have been incredibly useful in an unlimited import system. He was on the cusp of it, Had there been a system in place I dare say Franny would have been one of the ones who would have flourished.

But the unlimited import thing was a point that i least thought about, I do however think in terms of entertainment value of the fans that openign up your league to letting ability rather than nationality dictate who plays in it.

The main thing to get right is these kids development because at the moment Kids achieve in spite of the system rather than because of it.

TheStub

Thread starter #5
Re: Re: Meeting news ?

Gazza272 said:
The main thing to get right is these kids development because at the moment Kids achieve in spite of the system rather than because of it.
This agree with, the rest is just wishful thinking. If we invest now, we can talk again in 20 years about unlimited imports... until then 10 is way too many.

Talk to most of the senior Brits and they will tell you they preferred the BNL model. Why? Because when you limit the imports you are forced to sign better "key" imports.

Asking if we want to see Ben Davies playing other Ben Davies seriously fails to see the value of 2 Ben Davies playing with and against Craig Weller. We know the Brit talent is there, but whilst we are 50% import coaches sign experience first and Brits as filler.

As Sully said, this season has seen young guys getting key minutes alongside top imports because of injuries. Harding and Piggot are twice the players they were due to the time playing with the likes of Matzka.

Yes, the first year we see the drop the 20 extra Brits will have to cone from somewhere - but if the chances to go pro exist how many talents will carry on from u18 level?

Paul Sullivan

As we (the British game) already stipulates the minimum level of league from which we can recruit, why not try a different approach?

Up the level. Lower the imports.

Have 8, or even 6, but from a minimum of ECHL or above, for example instead of the CHL. That way you have Brits playing with quality but spread the cost more potently (you even save on cars, flights and apartments...)

And yes, I do miss the heineken League era :lol:

Meeting news ?

I'm throwing my tuppeny worth in with Paul and the Stub here. Less and better imports has to be the way forward. Teams won't necessarily save on wages because they'll be spreading the same money less thinly, but the domestic boys will improve just to keep up, and God forbid they may even be able to make a decent living and hockey as a career choice will be more attractive.

A drop in imports would also mean more movement upwards because more domestic players means more moving abroad or retiring and more lads getting the chance to shine at the top level. Booyah.

Gazza272

WelshHabsFan said:
A drop in imports would also mean more movement upwards because more domestic players means more moving abroad or retiring and more lads getting the chance to shine at the top level. Booyah.

So why hasnt this happened at all at EPL level? They have only had 4 imports for the last however many years?

How many iterations of leagues have we had over the years? The one thing that keeps getting over looked is the foundations.

Import levels are irrelevent really until that is sorted out and while a BNL model I would be in favour of so long has passed now that I think even that would look like a watered down version of the BNL as the British players just are not coming through to the same level.

Meyers, Richardson, David Clarke all came through the ranks of the BNL but I just dont see those same quality guys coming up at enough EIHL clubs to make a drop in imports sensible enough to keep getting the crowds through the door.

If you dropped the import level by two tomorrow what would Belfast and Sheffield do? Braehead:? And whats really frustrating is that we had an owner who was willing to buy a rival club but wont keep the development system going in the club to a good enough standard, same as Nottingham the only club that makes money and no visable investment looking forward to the next 10 years.

So so frustrating. And the less said about IHUK in all of this the better.

TheStub

Thread starter #9

I agree with all of that. Maybe the top teams need the kick to start investing. You can buy the league, but only by investing in youth teams.

The EPL is a different model. It isn't just 4 imports, but they have to be EU passport holders. Then there is the cash - overall there is a lot less money in the EPL so the quality overall is lower.

I'd love to see more organised movement between the ENL, EPL and EIHL with a national youth development system with all clubs being required to invest.

But, as part of that I want the EIHL to have Brit slots. So, 2 import ENL, 4 import EPL and 6 (or 8) EIHL.

Meeting news ?

Gazza272 said:
So why hasnt this happened at all at EPL level? They have only had 4 imports for the last however many years?
Because they've got 4 poor imports and the domestic players aren't playing to that higher level. Limited movement in the EIHL means they're stuck in the EPL and not getting the chance to move up. Drop import numbers by two and bingo - 20 more domestic players in the EIHL. With 8 imports that's still half the roster and we're banking on them being better imports than we presently bring over. That's the point.

What we need is more interplay and co-operation between the leagues, but while EIH and the EIHL are separate and competing bodies it's going to be tough.

Gazza272

WelshHabsFan said:
Gazza272 said:
Because they've got 4 poor imports and the domestic players aren't playing to that higher level. Limited movement in the EIHL means they're stuck in the EPL and not getting the chance to move up. Drop import numbers by two and bingo - 20 more domestic players in the EIHL. With 8 imports that's still half the roster and we're banking on them being better imports than we presently bring over. That's the point.

What we need is more interplay and co-operation between the leagues, but while EIH and the EIHL are separate and competing bodies it's going to be tough.
So if their brits arent up to that level why would they be in the EIHL started dropping their import levels? some top imports wont automatically make things better, lets not forget Rob Davison used to have extra practises with Phil Manny! and sadly for Phil it never happened for him.

Could you name 20 brits in the EPL who would be good enough? I've had a think and am struggling and I think thats key to my point.

Nationally we are clueless, I just had a quick look at some EPL rosters last season and I just couldnt find the guys there who either have tried the EIHL previously and didnt put the graft in to make it work, the guys who are too old or the guys who simply will never be good enough. I would definitely put a veteran rule in the EPL I think that would help

I also think the EIHL trying to develop players makes things worse, any development structure needs something to aspire to. The EIHL should be the place where guys are ready to go in, not to be groomed to try and be a player. I think thats why so many guys dont see the EIHL as enough of a good step for them, its much easier for them to stay close to their famalies in an EPL town.

I just still cannot see any evidence for the import numbers dropping and everything suddenly becoming rosey. I think the evidence actually argues against it.

Meeting news ?

There aren't 20 that could step right up but my point is that those boys will keep developing as they move up, but they need to be able to move up. Yes the EIHL should be the pinnacle but young players needn't be the finished article when they arrive.

You're right that the problem is national. With two English bodies and a Scottish one, none of whom like each other then we're jiggered.

Can the IIHF step in like the EU did in Greece and sort them all out?

Gazza272

WelshHabsFan said:
Can the IIHF step in like the EU did in Greece and sort them all out?

Sadly the IIHF have displayed apathy towards our hockey time and time again. I dont think that will change much :(

Paul Sullivan

Gazza I would make you a 500 bet that, whilst lowering import levels will not automatically make things rosy, removing the limit altogether would be a guaranteed disaster.

Anyone who thinks removing the import limit is the best way to develop British talent is either Neil Black, or has Jereme Tendler's baker.

As for what would Sheffield and Braehead do - well perhaps it is time we started lobbying to our strengths, not those of the clubs with the thicker wallets? We have (or until it is decimated, had) a fantastic way of bringing talent through the ranks in Cardiff. Let's argue for raising Brit levels, not reducing. As a long term hockey fan I would (as much as I love Braehead), rather see Fife doing better than Braehead as they have for decades worked to produce British players. Not the Clan's fault perhaps but if we are talking blueprints for the EIHL then perhaps a junior scheme should be a part of it.

The others can catch up with hockey savvy instead of us having to catch up by overspending for a change.

Gazza272

Paul Sullivan said:
Gazza I would make you a 500 bet that, whilst lowering import levels will not automatically make things rosy, removing the limit altogether would be a guaranteed disaster.

Anyone who thinks removing the import limit is the best way to develop British talent is either Neil Black, or has Jereme Tendler's baker.

As for what would Sheffield and Braehead do - well perhaps it is time we started lobbying to our strengths, not those of the clubs with the thicker wallets? We have (or until it is decimated, had) a fantastic way of bringing talent through the ranks in Cardiff. Let's argue for raising Brit levels, not reducing. As a long term hockey fan I would (as much as I love Braehead), rather see Fife doing better than Braehead as they have for decades worked to produce British players. Not the Clan's fault perhaps but if we are talking blueprints for the EIHL then perhaps a junior scheme should be a part of it.

The others can catch up with hockey savvy instead of us having to catch up by overspending for a change.

I am arguing for raising Brit levels, but doing it properly so it starts from day dot.

Of course im thinking 10-15 years down the line because it isnt going to happen over night. But until that time sadly you cant dictate to a Sheffield or Braehead about Brit limits because it damages your own product. By all means yes it's better for us because we are ok on the brit front but because we are in such bad shape the overall quality of the league would go down. Gates go down its a difficult balance.

Ok maybe unlimited imports is a bit extreme. However i'm saying that if the development is right with proper high quality junior leagues bringing through pro ready brits that an import limit would not matter, the system would produce british players that coaches would want to sign regardless. Again 10-15 years away with a proper plan in place.

Infinity away with the current imcumbunts :(

Mooney#16

The over riding factor though is not trying to raise the standard of the league via imports. Thats a complete side issue and false economy. You need to raise the standard of british player playing within it that would in turn raise the standard of the league.

Until the EIHL and EIHA can come to the table with IHUK and finally put in place a structure that breeds development then the current fractured state of affairs you can throw as many imports as you like at it. The game is going nowhere.

There should be policies of inward investment by clubs to IHUK budget to allow the GB structures to be able to compete on parity with other nations. The summer should be for centralised non club affiliated training camps where the talented kids are selected to get full time coaching from selected overseas coaches who can significantly add to the kids learning curve.

The ENL should be limited to 25 years old and a three import limit.

The EPL should be off a similar make up to currently but drop the work permit issues to allow a global import pool.

The Elite should ultimately aim for a fifty fifty split of brits to imports. But I would want a minimum bench strength of twenty per team per game so as many players are exposed to the Eliteleague as possible as this short bench fiasco degrades the game.

To progress the game you need real movement of players up and down the leagues and in and out of the game. Kids need to know effort will be rewarded so the work ethic in the junior ranks goes up rather than this closed roster system where players seem to have to do something wrong within the team to get gassed rather than on playing ability.

For hockey to progress in this country the national team should be paramount. As I've said before the biggest benefit the game could get is a GB team playing live on BBC at the winter olympics. For this brits are the priority in the league not imports but the brits have to be made to work to get there and work to stay there. The more players playing the greater the competition and standards will rise.

You are dealing with a very small financial pot that can't stretch to pipe dreams but organisational changes need to be made to drive competition amongst british players with an increased GB team providing greater sponsorship chances and outside investment to the sport. Then you can start dealing with real growth.

TheStub

Thread starter #17
As usual I find myself agreeing 100% with Mooney - the whole system in the UK needs revamping.

In fact, in this we are all in agreement it seems.

Personally, I go to watch British hockey of a decent standard. I like to see Brits play - this sport needs to stake an identity as a British game, and not "a load on Canadians who aren't good enough to play in Canada" as people continuously tell me when I try to get them to come to games. In that way, with the current structures ALL the leagues are development leagues, and we need to create the movement through the ranks.

The biggest issue is getting all the bodies to talk together. Force the imports down and it will force the "big" teams to have to start thinking about development, even if it is just poaching other teams juniors - but if there are the slots then there will be kids more inclined to give it a go, and stick with it.

For the longest time I've argued that there should be one body for UK ice hockey, and it should have the long term aim of having British trained players drafted by the NHL - that would force it to look at the whole development process and the international standing of the sport, not just making entertainment for a few arena teams.

Skippy

Re: Re: Where should import numbers go?

TheStub said:
As usual I find myself agreeing 100% with Mooney - the whole system in the UK needs revamping.

Personally, I go to watch British hockey of a decent standard. I like to see Brits play - this sport needs to stake an identity as a British game, and not "a load on Canadians who aren't good enough to play in Canada" as people continuously tell me when I try to get them to come to games. In that way, with the current structures ALL the leagues are development leagues, and we need to create the movement through the ranks.

The biggest issue is getting all the bodies to talk together. Force the imports down and it will force the "big" teams to have to start thinking about development, even if it is just poaching other teams juniors - but if there are the slots then there will be kids more inclined to give it a go, and stick with it.

For the longest time I've argued that there should be one body for UK ice hockey, and it should have the long term aim of having British trained players drafted by the NHL - that would force it to look at the whole development process and the international standing of the sport, not just making entertainment for a few arena teams.
Just out of curiosity how many ENL games did you make it along too last season ?

TheStub

Thread starter #20
Re: Re: Re: Where should import numbers go?

skippy said:
TheStub said:

Just out of curiosity how many ENL games did you make it along too last season ?
Just the one. Petrol rather than ticket prices make it very expensive.

Maybe I just give up on the EIHL and just follow ENL - but that doesn't detract from the fact this country needs a complete development system.