What are you looking for in our Devils 23/24

moggy#9

On that playing front I want an organised, well drilled team that is committed and can execute basic skills. Hopefully these things will then produce better special teams. In terms of playing style of like to see a more retention based game, rather than the dump and watch philosophy which gave up possession cheaply under Dupont.

Gavevs88

Physical but skillful hockey, with decent special teams. But most of all I want to see commitment and effort in every game! Playing Dundee on a Wednesday is just as important as Beating Belfast away on a Saturday.

Diafol

Entertainment ON the ice whether we win or lose, something which has been lacking for a while.
Effective special teams.
I agree with the comments about effort and commitment too.

kingmo19.1

Fast, physical hockey with EVERYONE doing their fair share of forechecking and back checking. I want to see the team stand up for themselves and back each other up when the physical side of the business is necessary.

In a nutshell, you know when the whole team has bought into the team ethos and I think that part has been missing for a few seasons - we need that back.

#Devilspirit or something like that :)

RedDevil17

Mixture of Speed and Physicality and I want a team where there are no passengers. If they decide to coast then immediately get rid. I want every player to play for the badge on the jersey and give 100% regardless of the opponent. Special teams improvement is a must if we are to compete for trophies.

hip check

I want a team that leaves it all on the ice, last season I think in many games that was sadly missing, I want to be entertained, I can put up with us losing a game but not a couldn't care less attitude and lack of effort and commitment from players that wear the Devil's badge, players that finish their checks and stand up for each other so that when I go home after a game I feel I've been entertained and my players have given it their best shot win or lose.

1/. A team stacked to the gills with speed - it’s what scares the living daylights out of opposition defences.

2/. A team capable of knowing when Plan A isn’t working and to have a plan B or Plan C to switch to - Zero evidence of that last season.

3/. A team that steps up for team mates when cheap liberties are taken by opponents - we had virtually none of that last season.

4/. A team that Attacks as Five and Defends as Five - Too many highly paid players were ok going forwards, but when the puck was heading to our defensive end, they were happy to glide to the bench for a change which often meant the oncoming player was well behind the play

5/. A team that plays 4 lines. If you dress four lines, you play four lines. Last season the bench was shortened way too frequently and hence when we had a Powerplay opportunity and looked to our top lines, they were completely knackered. The last Championship side played four lines regularly and lo and behold the tactic paid dividends. We’ve not done that for the past couple of seasons and it shows.

6/. please please pretty please can we also ensure that we don’t skate to the red line and dump the puck into the opposition zone for a change. If you don’t have possession, you can’t score, if you voluntarily give up the puck you are giving your opponents the chance to score. Dumping and relinquishing possession is as sensible as tying your skates on backwards. Keep possession, change four with the puck carrier behind our net if needs be and when the four new guys take control change the fifth player. It really isn’t rocket science. It’s always easier and significantly less tiring to play with the puck than it is without the puck.

moggy#9

1/. A team stacked to the gills with speed - it’s what scares the living daylights out of opposition defences.

2/. A team capable of knowing when Plan A isn’t working and to have a plan B or Plan C to switch to - Zero evidence of that last season.

3/. A team that steps up for team mates when cheap liberties are taken by opponents - we had virtually none of that last season.

4/. A team that Attacks as Five and Defends as Five - Too many highly paid players were ok going forwards, but when the puck was heading to our defensive end, they were happy to glide to the bench for a change which often meant the oncoming player was well behind the play

5/. A team that plays 4 lines. If you dress four lines, you play four lines. Last season the bench was shortened way too frequently and hence when we had a Powerplay opportunity and looked to our top lines, they were completely knackered. The last Championship side played four lines regularly and lo and behold the tactic paid dividends. We’ve not done that for the past couple of seasons and it shows.

6/. please please pretty please can we also ensure that we don’t skate to the red line and dump the puck into the opposition zone for a change. If you don’t have possession, you can’t score, if you voluntarily give up the puck you are giving your opponents the chance to score. Dumping and relinquishing possession is as sensible as tying your skates on backwards. Keep possession, change four with the puck carrier behind our net if needs be and when the four new guys take control change the fifth player. It really isn’t rocket science. It’s always easier and significantly less tiring to play with the puck than it is without the puck.
Absolutely agree. Especially point 6.

Excellent summary!

Rempel16

What they said…