Wales v England Ice Hockey

fried egg

Thread starter #1
Only been watching Ice Hockey for two seasons so not as clued up as most people on here.I have noticed that there are quite a few Welsh born players playing in the Elite Leauge,my question is this,would there be enough Welsh players to make up a team that could give the English boys a game?
If so who are they,I would pay to watch it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1065

Can’t believe I remember this - but there was a thread about this which it turns out was 2 years ago - how time flies! Scottydoesntknow posted this potential team at the time

Netminders
Stevie Lyle
Nathan Craze

Defence
Alex Symonds
Jason Stone

Forwards
Phill Hill
Matt Myres
Jonathan Philliips
Ben Davies
Neil Francis
Lee Cowmeadow
Jamie Hayes
Nicky Lewis

A couple of those are retired now I believe.

Phil Manny, Steve Fisher, Corey Watkins, Nicky Chinn added by Merthyr Devil.

Sam Smith and Tim Burrows could be added to that. Bit short on defencemen. Any chance Richardson has got Welsh connections for him to qualify. Not a bad team, and I'm sure there's a couple more from the ENL team.

They should do a one-off game - haven't they had a couple of Wales v England games in cricket even though Wales haven't really got an official international team?

Having had a very quick think, I would our first line would be as good as theirs, but we'd struggle with depth.

So our All-star line would certainly match up.

Myers, between Phillips and Hill would be a good second line in the EIHL for example.

We'd also have the best goalie so that would give us an edge there.

Arguably a scottish all-star team would be the best, with Hand feeding Shields and Murphy in goal.

Sorry to slightly hi-jack the thread talking about all-star lines :D

As an aside, it's a massive shame that Welsh hockey players never get to represent Wales at any level, even having to represent england at junior level:eek: Another product of only having two rinks in the country :(

They certainly did ledgend. Wales played 3 one-dayers in total against England I believe, winning one of them :D (but we did have Jaques Kallis in the team as well :lol: )

IMO Wales should be represented in ODI and T20 cricket, but that's now way off topic :lol:

fried egg

Thread starter #5
Could be a good game to open the new rink (if it ever gets built) much better than a past V present Devils game I think.

fried egg said:
Could be a good game to open the new rink (if it ever gets built) much better than a past V present Devils game I think.
Totally agree, great idea! :) This would be a lot less insular and bring new people to the sport out of the Wales v England tag. Would certainly fill a 4000 seater IMO.

One thing that set us back hugely when we moved to the tent was the first game v the Vipers - which was a sellout - being cancelled on the night. There was probably about 700-800 at the game which ended up being the first.

osh said:
Perhaps a more realistic game would be a Celtic rep side playing England ?
It's tough because a Wales team wouldn't have the quality in depth to really sell the product, but.... while a Celtic side would be a lot more competitive I'm not sure it has the same 'marketability' (is that even a word?) as Wales v England.

Perhaps if a few honorary Welshmen were thrown into the mix it would help :)

steve

as it wouldn't be a competitive iihf game we could ice whoever we wanted so long as the 'england' team agreed - so poper, G, Voth etc. could well play.

It would be a marketing masterstroke for a new rink. Trouble is there won't be any seats for newbies to come and watch!

osh

fried egg said:
Three years residency rule would be good,Voth, Pope, G, i'm sure they would be proud to pull on a Welsh Jersey.

Erm! Think you are forgetting something, a 3 year residency ruling would also apply to anyone wishing to play for England !