wage cap

Thread starter #1
just a quick question people but how many teams in the ellite league stick to the cap and do cardiff thanks people

Rossboy19 said:
I reckon all are under it except Sheffield and Belfast. League stated at a recent fans forum that Cardiff were within the limit
I cant imagine Nottingham have stayed under the wage cap !!!

dmd said:
Rossboy19 said:
I reckon all are under it except Sheffield and Belfast. League stated at a recent fans forum that Cardiff were within the limit
Yeh u may be right, but I think if they are over it's not by a great deal, and certainly not by as much as Sheffield who I think are the biggest spenders. Would be nice to see the league taking a tougher stance on the teams in breach of regulations, but can't see much changing for next season

Rossboy19 said:
dmd said:
Rossboy19 said:
Yeh u may be right, but I think if they are over it's not by a great deal, and certainly not by as much as Sheffield who I think are the biggest spenders. Would be nice to see the league taking a tougher stance on the teams in breach of regulations, but can't see much changing for next season
not over by a great deal? really? with the 100 imports they have signed this season? i cant see how its not a great deal.

wildthing74

Nottingham are by far the biggest spenders and Belfast wont be far behind.Not that it counts as nobody pays attention to the rules in this league but I would expect both us and Cov would be over the supposed wage cap.
It wasn't being enforced this season but even last year's 'gentlemans agreement' clearly meant nothing.
Its the age old question and I really never see this being enforced strongly enough as we all know if clubs want to pay what they want they will find a way of doing it.

Since there are no figures published it's speculation anyway isn't it? Didn't Andy French say at the fans forum in Coventry that Cardiff were under the limit?

Steelers are the only team publically implicated about spending over the agreed "cap"

Notts - it is sort of the norm they are spending above

Belfast and Cardiff are spending roundabout the same imo if you only count the players who were classed as fit. I think at one time we had 15 imports on our books with goodness knows how many injuries and including those then we probably were over, but based on fit players I'd say at cap or marginally over.

We'll find it harder next year unless we keep the 5 uni deals we have considering one of our best players is basically playing for peanuts because he is getting a uni deal. (Simms confirmed at start of season that we were getting an import cheaper than a 3rd line Brit)

We picked up a load of players who were coming to us on the back of an injury plagued season again not paying them what they are probably worth (Brett Hemingway would be prime example) so his wage expectation will probably go up.

What on earth is the point of a Salary Cap, if there is only a Gentleman's Agreement to adhere to it and no recourse if it is broken.

Look at the action taken against Wigan Warriors and Melbourne Storm for breaching it in Rugby League. 6 points deducted for Wigan for even breaking "The Spirit" of the cap by deferring wages to technically stay under. Melbourne's season points removed for deliberately misleading payments to adhere.

Seriously, a cap only works if teams adhere or are punished for breaching. Otherwise, don't bother.

StevenBletsoe said:
What on earth is the point of a Salary Cap, if there is only a Gentleman's Agreement to adhere to it and no recourse if it is broken.

Look at the action taken against Wigan Warriors and Melbourne Storm for breaching it in Rugby League. 6 points deducted for Wigan for even breaking "The Spirit" of the cap by deferring wages to technically stay under. Melbourne's season points removed for deliberately misleading payments to adhere.

Seriously, a cap only works if teams adhere or are punished for breaching. Otherwise, don't bother.
Exactly. In the fans forum in Coventry the league were asked what can be done about ensuring teams stuck to the agreement, to which they replied 'what can you do?'. Pretty much sums up how the league is run in a sentence

I remember at the start of the season Simmsy said Nottingham were the biggest spenders by far. He said it was then Sheffield, and then Belfast (who apparantly had one very cheap import and made good use of uni deals).

I imagine (and I believe G did say this at the start of the season) that we're in the middle sort of bracket of teams, along with Braehead and Coventry.

As much as I'd like an enforced cap I can't see it actually happening as there are so many ways around it.

Houses, cars, expenses, family jobs, uni deals, etc etc

I also don't think the league has a strong enough panel to actually enforce it as it would probably require monthly audits on each team and probably publishing of wages etc

Bruce at the Clan had the same budget as coach Corey and therefore does not deserve to even be in the running for coach of the year. Gerad has the 6th highest budget in the league and should win coach of the year hands down. The wage cap can never be monitored, only the owners can stick to the rules and in fairness to the Panthers they nearly toe the line, unlike Giants and Steelers.

kettdevil1

BrentisGod said:
Bruce at the Clan had the same budget as coach Corey and therefore does not deserve to even be in the running for coach of the year. Gerad has the 6th highest budget in the league and should win coach of the year hands down. The wage cap can never be monitored, only the owners can stick to the rules and in fairness to the Panthers they nearly toe the line, unlike Giants and Steelers.
I'm not sure where you have got your information from but I would disagree that the Clan have the same budget as Coach Corey... if they do they are overpaying Perras! My guess work would be Nottingham, Sheffield, Belfast then us and Cov with Braehead somewhere after that.

Wannabe2

BrentisGod said:
Dont think so mate, Nottingham signed as many imports this season as paying fans at Braehead.

BrentisGod said:
no offence mate but thats a load of rubbish, if I was going to rank the teams in spending order it would be(this does include quite a bit of inside knowledge):

1.Sheffield
2.Nottingham
3.Belfast
4.Cardiff
5.Coventry
6.Braehead
7.Hull
8.Dundee
9.Newcastle (they were spending more than dundee originally)
10.Edinburgh

From what I have been told the nottingham budget is almost twice that of Braehead's

James

Administrator
The initial Breahead budget was the same as the Nottingham budget from what I heard too. I guess Nottingham upped theirs a fair bit throughout the season however.