Viaplay

Have Hope#35

No doubt been on the cards since Viaplay were removed as league sponsor... Funny that a lot of people were having a dig at the league for losing the deal but seems it was completely out of their hands!

Rempel16

I don't understand how they were still offering subscription deals as soon as a couple of weeks ago, when they clearly knew this was coming.

Diafol

As I understand it, they are just stopping their movie / TV series streaming which was advertised as a bonus to the sports coverage.
The TV channels are continuing as normal (for the time being anyway).

Although I think the deal with the EIHL has expired so I guess that won't be renewed.

moggy#9

I've just been on the phone to viaplay and they told me that they're continuing with NHL, GB and eihl coverage. I'm not sure how much to believe them though as there was certainly a news article suggesting they were dropping NHL.

BostonBart22

I've just been on the phone to viaplay and they told me that they're continuing with NHL, GB and eihl coverage. I'm not sure how much to believe them though as there was certainly a news article suggesting they were dropping NHL.
Read somewhere they are pulling out of Scottish international football and stated because its in uk..so assuming no eihl..

pjj365

Hard to say what is happening. Their 20 July financial statement suggest sport is safe in all markets with entertainment streaming focusing on Nordic and Dutch markets. Also possibility of sale
Check out the latest press release o. their web site viaplay.com

Devils86

As a slight aside, should any TV executive stumble across this in future...

(A couple ciders deep, and watching 'Devils fights from 2021' on YouTube.)

In case anybody from a TV production company is reading (randomly) the key to growing TV coverage and interest in our sport in the UK is regular, impartial coverage:

All sides have the infrastructure to prove tape of games. Personally I go to every home game, plan to go to a few away games, but will never(unless it's specific circumstances) buy the live stream from either inept or biased commentary. Ie. Giants or Steelers

If we could learn from MOTD (generally commentators who are
Impartial, with a former player for comment, analysis of calls and goals and saves) and stick a MOTD style summary out on a Friday/Thursday night or a Monday - how great would that be?!

All wishful thinking until a big brand takes a chance on UK Ice hockey - but the lead must be for football fans (like me) who want that bit more physicality rather the diving holding the face BS

If it was 2003 you'd call Yorkie...

moggy#9

Ok, the big question here is, what are we trying to achieve with TV coverage of the EIHL? I see two possible answers: grow interest in the sport to attract new fans, teams and sponsors, or provide coverage for existing fans.

To be honest, subscription tv is useless for the former. The Grandstand coverage and face off were the best for that as they were things that someone could stumble across and get hooked on. Realistically though in 2023 those aren't things we're going to get. Therefore the league should aim to provide content in preassembled packages for TV sports news (bearing in mind that we'd probably be lucky to get a 15 second slot).

To provide coverage for existing fans, I think that a single, unified league streaming service is the way to go. Provide a league wide highlights package for free, then have extended highlights and live game subscriptions so that fans, say, watch all of their teams away matches.

lloyd_jeff

Paid viewing only works if there are huge numbers of people across many countries that make attending impossible. For the EIHL there simply isn’t the numbers needed.

pjj365

Ok, the big question here is, what are we trying to achieve with TV coverage of the EIHL? I see two possible answers: grow interest in the sport to attract new fans, teams and sponsors, or provide coverage for existing fans.

To be honest, subscription tv is useless for the former. The Grandstand coverage and face off were the best for that as they were things that someone could stumble across and get hooked on. Realistically though in 2023 those aren't things we're going to get. Therefore the league should aim to provide content in preassembled packages for TV sports news (bearing in mind that we'd probably be lucky to get a 15 second slot).

To provide coverage for existing fans, I think that a single, unified league streaming service is the way to go. Provide a league wide highlights package for free, then have extended highlights and live game subscriptions so that fans, say, watch all of their teams away matches.
So many issues

What TV sports news? Full package for BBC and Sky and geographic for regional ITV maybee? Who pays for this - TV stations wont. Can you guarantee they would take this or would it be a waste of resources?

Same for highlights package - Who pays?

As for subscription. Would teams give up their revenue?

Also, fans do not just watch away matches. A lot of fans follow the home game stream because they can't get to the game. It may be a regular thing, it maybe occasional. Then people will pick and chose away matches based on interest in the opposition, quality of camera work, commentators etc. How do you price to allow for this?

Then you have the how. Individual streaming set up already in place but to enable pick and chose these would have to be on a common platform which may/may not need to restrict stream to one device per night. The mechanics of income distribution to clubs (based on viewing figures) would need to be agreed. A technical issue which would need resourcing as would the provision to edit and quality control (TV would not take some of the poor quality streams clubs churn out) a highlights package.

There's lots more but as has been said many times we are not the NHL - nice idea though

moggy#9

So, firstly let's take sky news as an example who have hourly sports bulletins. If you provide something to use there's a chance they might make use of it. There is no guarantee that they will, you just make it easy for them to do so. A good example of the sort of snipit is the morrisette rebound goal from a few years ago that went viral. Given that clubs put together highlights for youtube, what's the difference? It's a speculative investment at little cost.

I didn't say that fans just watch just away matches. I'm rarely able to get to home matches myself. It was simply an example of a use case where normally someone would have to set up accounts with each team's stream provider. Under my scenario, one account would cover everything. Essentially you have a federated approach. I don't see that how that's dealt with is an insurmountable issue, if there's a will.

No, we're not the NHL (thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed!), hence the reason we need to be innovative about how fans are engaged.

Oh, and thank you for potentially on of the most off hand responses I've ever seen to one of my discussion posts.

pjj365

So, firstly let's take sky news as an example who have hourly sports bulletins. If you provide something to use there's a chance they might make use of it. There is no guarantee that they will, you just make it easy for them to do so. A good example of the sort of snipit is the morrisette rebound goal from a few years ago that went viral. Given that clubs put together highlights for youtube, what's the difference? It's a speculative investment at little cost.

I didn't say that fans just watch just away matches. I'm rarely able to get to home matches myself. It was simply an example of a use case where normally someone would have to set up accounts with each team's stream provider. Under my scenario, one account would cover everything. Essentially you have a federated approach. I don't see that how that's dealt with is an insurmountable issue, if there's a will.

No, we're not the NHL (thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed!), hence the reason we need to be innovative about how fans are engaged.

Oh, and thank you for potentially on of the most off hand responses I've ever seen to one of my discussion posts.
if you mean by "off hand" the dictionary definition "without thought or preparation"
I would contend I was looking to understand better your proposition thus helping me better prepare a focused response
As I say a nice idea but please don't be offended if I want to better understand how it would work from a financial and technical perspective

Jonesy83

So phoned up Viaplay this morning to subscribe to the £59 offer and was told this ended in June and that at the moment it’s £99 for 12 months.
Even tho I’ve seen it advertised myself at £59 on both Facebook & Instagram.