Upcoming NHL season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1
Is there anyone here excited about the upcoming new season? Personally I cannot wait! Who does everyone fancy to make it all the way? I'd love to see Montreal go one better and get to the Stanley cup finals but last years run was a true miracle, the way they disposed of Pittsburgh and Washington in 7 game thrillers was incredible. In the east you'd have to think those two will get far again, although I have a good feeling about Buffalo this year too. In the west can't see Chicago repeating their heroics after key departures, although with Kane and Toews anything is possible. I fancy Vancouver probably to do the job in the west. Can't wait to get to Prague on the 9th of Oct for Boston v Pheonix!!

Thread starter #4
I'm not too thrilled with espn/espn america's NHL first two days of the season coverage. Just one game on opening day Next thu (7th), Minnesota v Carolina at 5pm from Finland. So no Toronto v Montreal or Pittsburgh v Philly at midnight. Looks like they're priority is baseball and the MLS. Poor.

kettdevil1

Gohabsgo said:
I'm not too thrilled with espn/espn america's NHL first two days of the season coverage. Just one game on opening day Next thu (7th), Minnesota v Carolina at 5pm from Finland. So no Toronto v Montreal or Pittsburgh v Philly at midnight. Looks like they're priority is baseball and the MLS. Poor.
Yes, it is always like that at the start, no doubt it will build as the season progresses.

Hopefully the pot will go north of the border this year, it has been on loan to the south for too long.

I would love the Flames to prove me wrong and go all the way but realistically the best hope has got to be Vancouver although les Habs have got to win it again some day.... not sure if local businesses insurance can take the celebrating though. ;)

Away from the frozen land, Philly have a chance but are still short on quality, the Pens will be as good as ever to watch, the Sharks will be brilliant till April, Chicago will be so-so, St Louis will surprise and I wonder if this will be the year when Washington finally realise that OV can't win the cup on his own?

Summing up.... Canucks to win

TheStub

This could be an interesting year, with many of the it teams over recent years shedding players to make cap space.

I wouldn't write Philly or Pens off. I hope NJ make a good run, but think we may have loaded up on white elephants and has beens. Especially as our valued defence is looking a little young. We have some guys who will make an impression, but a rookie coach and teams of vets and rooks and not much inbetween may see this marked as yet another building year.

I hope I'm wrong.

Thread starter #7
I agree it's long overdue that the cup goes to Canada. Yes Vancouver have the best chance imo too. The habs chances rest on the defense, Our no.1 d Markov out for a few months, so it's key as to how PK Subban steps up. There's also a certain problem in the net, it goes by the name of Carey Price. All talent, no substance! He was booed off two nights ago by 21000 fans after conceding 4 goals in 8 shots against Boston, at least it's only preseason. Still can't believe we traded Jaro Halak, let's hope Carey was worth it (for his sake)

Thread starter #8
Golly, the aforementioned Carey Price has had another stinker, letting in 6 last night at Ottawa. He now has a .743 save percentage in pre season, not good!

Watching the Caps Thrashers game now and the Thrashers netminder Ondrej Pavelec has just collapsed on the ice with no one near him. Been stretchered off now but it didn't look too good. He came forward a bit as if to signal to the bench that something was wrong and then collapsed. Hope he's ok!

Ger-Devils

Rangers are not great! Leafs scored 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd and are 3-1 up going into the 3rd. Leafs look alot quicker and want the win, no effort from the Rangers at all and the boo boys are out it seems!

TheStub

Could be worse mate... Jersey are looking pants.

My fear about the White Russian Elephant seems to be coming true. He isn't being prolific enough to make up for the lack of Cap space. We are short benched and it shows.

Still gutting to loose to the Avs after outshooting them 2-1.

kettdevil1

Ger-Devils said:
Rangers are not great! Leafs scored 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd and are 3-1 up going into the 3rd. Leafs look alot quicker and want the win, no effort from the Rangers at all and the boo boys are out it seems!
Is it that the Rangers are not great or is it more that the Leafs have suddenly come alive?

I have to say I completely discounted them pre-season but they look red hot at the moment.

Ger-Devils

kettdevil1 said:
Ger-Devils said:
Is it that the Rangers are not great or is it more that the Leafs have suddenly come alive?

I have to say I completely discounted them pre-season but they look red hot at the moment.
Well the 1st two periods, Rangers didn't seem that inerested - home ice, you expect them to play more. Leafs are on fire though as it stands

Status
Not open for further replies.