Tyson Marsh Retirement Confirmed?

Jonesy83

Thread starter #1
From watching the interview Tyson did with IceTime TV after the Nottingham game (which is now online). The man himself pretty much confirms this will be his last season as a Cardiff Devil.

Thinks for everything you've done for the Devils Tyson. Hopefully you'll be going with a playoffs winners medal.

SteveKing

Another salute to a great person required here. It goes without saying that it takes a special person to become the captain of a professional sports team. The stability and character that Tyson exudes through his thoughts and actions are obvious to anyone that has spent time with him.

The Devils will definitely miss having Tyson as part of the team. Tyson and I have been speaking a fair bit over the last few months not just about his health as we've tried to get him the best help possible but also about life after hockey as we've tried to connect him with potential new career paths. As I've said to friends here in Canada that may look to hire Tyson, you could not find a young man that will be more committed to the cause and that you could put any more trust in.

SteveKing said:
Another salute to a great person required here. It goes without saying that it takes a special person to become the captain of a professional sports team. The stability and character that Tyson exudes through his thoughts and actions are obvious to anyone that has spent time with him.

The Devils will definitely miss having Tyson as part of the team. Tyson and I have been speaking a fair bit over the last few months not just about his health as we've tried to get him the best help possible but also about life after hockey as we've tried to connect him with potential new career paths. As I've said to friends here in Canada that may look to hire Tyson, you could not find a young man that will be more committed to the cause and that you could put any more trust in.
Steve this is another reason why this club is so great. Tyson is an assist to the club and will be greatly missed by all of us as well as difficult if not impossible to replace. To see that the owners are assisting players with career paths and job opportunities after there careers end is another extremely classy move by the club and really shows that you care about our players.

Tyson you will be missed thank you for everything you have done for our club you are a top class player and exceptional leader.

Ocko

Even though we all knew it was inevitable this is a big, big loss for the Devils. It's hard to get that experienced, tough, responsible and solid two way D man all in one, not to mention (and probably most importantly) a player who wanted to be here for all the right reasons.

He wasn't that best D man for ability on this team but he was arguably the most influential.

Big thank you for all your efforts Tyson, there is no Devil as deserving in the past couple of years of lifting silverware in two weeks than #22.

Mooney#16

I can only say Tyson was a true hockey player. His dedication to the game is what unfortunately has forced his hand in that he knew the code and he answered for his own actions not hiding behind anyone or asking others to tidy up his trash. He has my respect in his conduct and honour.

Wish nothing but the best for him. A guy with that character and honesty deserves nothing but good things.

drainage

I did think his icing recently was his last hurrah ........ Will be missed without a doubt and wish him and his family all the luck in the world. Hope he keeps his eye on a small city in South Wales and all their ice hockey team do

Ejercito Rojas

SteveKing said:

You are absolutely right Steve, Tyson is case study in the old adage about taking 'attitude over aptitude' every time!
Good luck Tyson in life after hockey!

voth26

SteveKing said:

100% agree with you Steve, Tyson is a great captain and an even better person. Always willing to stop for a chat or photo, really pleased he got to play in the new barn even if it was for one game he fully deserved to play in it. Above all else I'm really glad he has returned to full health and hopefully will be as successful outside of hockey as he was in our beloved sport.bTyson you will be missed have no doubt about that and you will ALWAYS be a CARDIFF DEVIL, hope you don't forget the RED ARMY and the Diff. Take care captain now bring the final piece of silverware home you deserve it

Koop11

It was great to see Captain Marsh return to the ice following his injury. Getting to lead the team onto IAW ice was a special moment for him I am sure.

With one foot in retirement at the end of last season and then unfortunately getting hurt this season it is probably the right call. As huge a part of his life hockey has been there are now bigger things to focus on, most importantly his young family.

He is not quiet done yet though. Tyson needs to help lead the team and lift that playoff trophy.

mazza03

SteveKing said:

This so typifies our club and our owners, what a fantastic way this is to repay a servant of our club.

Good luck Tyson in whatever you do, you will be welcome back at any time so please visit. :D

ASHIPP

I am gutted but not suprised. And a wise decision anyway after that horrendous injury this season.

What a great Captain and great servant to the Devils. Tyson is loved and respected by club, players and fans. The effect on the team during his absence indicates the influence he has.
The fact he made the EIHL All-Star teams and Defenceman of the Year nomination shows how he was rated as a player.

Thankyou Tyson for everything you have done for the club, and for your leadership through two seasons in the new era.

Wishing Tyson, Christina and their beautiful son a very happy and successful future.

mazza03 said:
SteveKing said:

This so typifies our club and our owners, what a fantastic way this is to repay a servant of our club.

Good luck Tyson in whatever you do, you will be welcome back at any time so please visit. :D
And this is why we are over and above other EIHL teams. The owners are second to none. Any gripes about the colour of the seats or any other little issues with IAW should pale into insignificance when we have SK et al at the helm.

Slartibartfast

Although not seen as a typical enforcer the number of times Tyson stepped up when someone took liberties with his team mates is commendable.

We also saw him develop as a player into a very solid stay at home D man.

The thing that showed his true charachter though was the year of all the troubles.

With rumours of players owed money and all sorts of shenanigans going on, we understandably saw some of our best players dip in in form and effort. Tyson though never looked any different in these times. He always gave it his all.

Thank you Tyson for your efforts. A true Devil.

kettdevil1

Slartibartfast said:
Although not seen as a typical enforcer the number of times Tyson stepped up when someone took liberties with his team mates is commendable.

We also saw him develop as a player into a very solid stay at home D man.

The thing that showed his true charachter though was the year of all the troubles.

With rumours of players owed money and all sorts of shenanigans going on, we understandably saw some of our best players dip in in form and effort. Tyson though never looked any different in these times. He always gave it his all.

Thank you Tyson for your efforts. A true Devil.
Sums it up for me. I remember watching him as one of the numerous substandard players that were shipped in that season was introduced. He stood apart from the rest of the team and looked resigned, at that moment I thought that he was going to pack it all in, that he couldn't see the point.

I totally misjudged him. Within 30 seconds he had knocked an opposition player into next week, had talked to and encouraged every player on the ice and had put whatever was going on behind the scenes out of his head. He played a stormer that night as he did every night.

I was delighted when he got his reward last season and got to lead a team that was worthy of standing next to him on the ice and although this season so far has not been one that he will remember with great fondness, he will always be a favourite Devil. A warrior, a leader and someone who always turned up when it mattered.

ASHIPP

pjj365 said:
Very surprised and disappointed that there was no end of game tribute to Tyson tonight
Gobsmacked that Tyson didn't get to do a solo lap of honour. Mind you, a diappointed crowd were leaving in droves. Judging by the unhappy faces on the Devils' team, they just wanted to get off the ice.

Very sad for Tyson. Would have been fantastic to go out in a blaze of glory at the last home game of the season...and his ice hockey career. Instead it felt like a damp tea towel.