Transfer of Intellectual Property

Thread starter #1
Great news for Devils supporters as discussions start to transfer the IP rights for the Cardiff Devils Trademarks and name to the Red Army Supporters (operated by Cardiff Devils Supporters Limited (CDSL)). In tandem RAS will enter into a licence agreement for the Devils to move forward in the coming seasons as they settle into the new arena.

RAS Chairperson Andy Jones spoke to Paul Ragan earlier this weekend and agreed with the club to proceed with the discussions.

The trademarks and name have been a bone of contention for over 12 twelve years with CDSL last making and attempt to take control of the Trademarks in 2001 only stopping their action as part of the agreement with Chris McSorley to run the Devils in the BNL.

Red Army Supporters and the Cardiff Devils will keep all informed as this historic transfer is undertaken.

What process is there to stop CDSL or whatever name they're now using from not licensing the name and logos to an owner if the owner makes a decision they don't like?

For example there were plenty of people making comments on here and on twitter about Ragan stepping away from the club because of the import stuff recently. Its not unreasonable to think they could use the logos and name to force a decision to be changed.

Or is this just an attempt to finally get some support for CDSL/RAS because they've been ignored and mostly ineffective for the last few years?

Gazza272

This may make me unpopular but whatever.

This is an utterly ridiculous situation and the Red Army supporters club should back away ASAP.

My understanding is there is still dispute over the IP between the club and Shannon Hope, with Shannon currently in the country to deal with it.

But even if there were not I really do not want supporters as the custodians of of an IP right, it's just too messy and I think there is a reason pretty much no other sports team does this.

When are we as fans going to learn to stay away from all this stuff? leave the business to the business people. Turn up buy your ticket, cheer G and the boys on. Volunteer to help out but can we stop getting involved at these ridiculously high levels?

I think the supporters club should pull out of this very quickly.

Jones72

Gazza272 said:

This is an utterly ridiculous situation and the Red Army supporters club should back away ASAP.

My understanding is there is still dispute over the IP between the club and Shannon Hope, with Shannon currently in the country to deal with it.

But even if there were not I really do not want supporters as the custodians of of an IP right, it's just too messy and I think there is a reason pretty much no other sports team does this.

When are we as fans going to learn to stay away from all this stuff? leave the business to the business people. Turn up buy your ticket, cheer G and the boys on. Volunteer to help out but can we stop getting involved at these ridiculously high levels?

As much as there may be well intentioned motives behind this move, I have to say I agree with you 100%

Ger-Devils

Gazza272 said:

Top post Gaz!

Gazza272 said:

Excellent post Gazza, spot on. Think CDSL/RAS should step away from this one.

Chris

Administrator
Do CDSL/RAS have a website where we can see who runs it/them?

I've had a look through the Devils website and the various twitter/facebook accounts and can't find anything but might have missed it.

Welshy74

Gazza272 said:

+1

Sheincar

Chris said:

I've had a look through the Devils website and the various twitter/facebook accounts and can't find anything but might have missed it.
I believe at one stage there was a link from the club site to a CDSL site. The committee is Claire Bloodworth, Andy Jones, Mags Morgan, Alan Lowndes & Paul & Sarah Hinton. Don't think I've forgotten anyone.

Chris

Administrator
I believe at one stage there was a link from the club site to a CDSL site. The committee is Claire Bloodworth, Andy Jones, Mags Morgan, Alan Lowndes & Paul & Sarah Hinton. Don't think I've forgotten anyone.
Thanks

Gingers Husband said:
Does Paul Ragan actually own them?
That's a good question, hence I understand that is why Shannon is back in the Country for a hearing on Thursday. Sorry, but I'm not sure how Mr Ragan or CDSL/RAS can make such statements until this matter is cleared up once and for all :?

mazza03

Gazza272 said:

Good post and I agree whole heartedly.

phil PLT said:
That's a good question, hence I understand that is why Shannon is back in the Country for a hearing on Thursday. Sorry, but I'm not sure how Mr Ragan or CDSL/RAS can make such statements until this matter is cleared up once and for all :?
I assume Mr Ragan is covering his rear in case things don't go his way Thursday. He can make Shannon the villain of the piece by telling anyone who will listen that if he had owned them he would have "given" them to the fans. If things do go Mr. Ragans way though I would expect a good reason why the rights can't be transferred.

voth26

again another messy situation, does shannon get any "benefits" because he owns the ip for the devils logo/name. I can see pr possibly walking away from the club if this doesnt go according to plan, pr and shannon have been arguing about this for quite a while now I understand

Sheincar said:
Chris said:

Alan Lowndes is not currently a committee member.
Andrew Bradbury is a committee member.

The directors are: Andy Jones, Andrew Bradbury and Paul Hinton.

Gazza272 said:

Agree 100%