Towe Joins Flames

Thread starter #1
The Guildford Flames ice hockey club have struck a deal with speedy British forward Matt Towe (cover photo courtesy of www.jessicarobertsphotography.com) who will join the side from Cardiff Devils. The 22 year old spent the last three seasons with the Welsh outfit, picking up 64 points with the side, including 7 goals and 14 assists during the most recent term. Prior to his move from his hometown of Sheffield, the 5’10”, 170lb skater played with the English Premier League Scimitars from the same city despite remaining of Jr. age. In 52 games that season, taking a starring role with his side at just 18, he was near the top of his club scoring charts with 26 goals and 48 assists in helping his team to a 2nd place finish, just 4 points off the league champion Bracknell Bees
http://guildfordflames.com/matt_towe_joins_flames

kettdevil1

Interesting move for Matt. He came to the Devils with great stats in the EPL but on the evidence of the last few years he is not the high scoring forward we thought he might be. Instead he has evolved into one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

I suspect the move to the Flames will either allow him to rediscover his scoring touch or confirm that he should continue to develop as a Selke award candidate...

TheStub

I think his stats reflect the role we have burdened him with over the last few seasons.

Putting him in defensive roles, he hasn't had the job of going to find goals. I though he looked at his best in the games he was moved to the top line. His speed and vision (although tempered with a reticence to shoot) made him look the part, and he could be a great impact Brit in this league.

Adams clearly thought a lot of him, simply evidenced by the amount of special team time he got. Shame that wasn't translated into a attacking rather than checking roles for some of the season.

Good luck Matt. I would have loved to see him in a Devils jersey again. A major loss for us, and I'm glad we wont be facing him this year.