Tony Tony Tony. What have you done.

Skippy

Gazza272 said:
Skippy said:
Might be an unpopular suggestion but I do think the Giants should have been docked some points.

The financial sanction of £100 each for the 190 fans effected is comparably sod all compared to the amount the ownership of the Giants and the arena would of made from the 1D gig.

They made a financial decision between the two events and choose not Hockey outside of a league process that they knew about purely for financial gain.

Not saying the points should of gone to the Steelers just that the Giants should of suffered a league standing consequence for the decision rather than just a small financial punishment.

But I don't think you can Punish the Giants as a business for another business call. I think you have a reasoned suggestion. But if the Odyssey Trust didn't own the Giants but still owned the arena and this call was made would you be able to make the same suggestion?

If the arena was a totally separate entity and had no stake in the team in any way then the situation would be very different.

But that's not the case in this instance there may be some different limited company names in the mix but the ultimate control of both the arena and the team is the same. Or at lease that's my understanding of it.

If the two were separate companies then I very much think the suggestion falls down as the decision would of been outside the Giants control.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Gazza272

Skippy said:
If the arena was a totally separate entity and had no stake in the team in any way then the situation would be very different.

But that's not the case in this instance there may be some different limited company names in the mix but the ultimate control of both the arena and the team is the same. Or at lease that's my understanding of it.

If the two were separate companies then I very much think the suggestion falls down as the decision would of been outside the Giants control.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The odyssey trust does own the Arena Business and the Giants business so you are right on that score.

However I don't feel you can punish the Giants because that happens to be the case, you are effectively then punishing them for circumstance. Because it wouldn't happen if they were still owned by Jim Gillespie.

I think you have to treat the Giants as the Giants and not punish them because their parent company has other interests.

Finny

There have been times in football where teams were deducted points for extreme reasons. I think it was Middlesborough who were deducted 3 points because they claimed they didn't have enough fit player (they may even have been relegated because of it?) But the game was still played later I think.

Football games are often cancelled at short notice because of frozen/waterlogged pitches etc. They are just replayed though and there is never any suggestion of points deduction. Sometimes fans get reimbursed but its' very rare.

In relation to the game itself I honestly think that this should be a 5 - 0 win and the usual 2 points. Allowing Belfast to reschedule etc seems all well and good and I thought that should have been the agreed decision until I asked myself, what would we do if this had happened in February with no chance to to schedule?

Mooney#16

Thread starter #25
So in a professional sports league where via sponsorships, merchandising etc it pays to win a team should be given two points for not playing a game. Two points separated three teams last season. It's a very dangerous precedent to set giving away points as if teams get short benched or finances are tight a team out of league contention could opt to make up a bogus fiasco to give away two points and save a bumper load of cash.

As soon as there was a sniff of Clan winning league last year the argument of it being non legit because of the conference system started. Could you imagine Sheffield winning league by one point after being gifted two. It would kick right of.

Financial compensation between two teams even a point penalty to one just effects the two teams involved. I'd even go as far as eliminating them from the challenge cup as that would hit them financially. As soon as you go to forfeit point awards every other team has a stake in that though and it's not right in a pro league. Team are obliged to complete all there fixtures. Despite Belfasts whole hearted blame here they will still do that and afraid Steelers have to lump it to some extent something I know the greatest franchise in hockey history really isn't happy doing.

pjj365

Mooney#16 said:
So in a professional sports league where via sponsorships, merchandising etc it pays to win a team should be given two points for not playing a game. Two points separated three teams last season. It's a very dangerous precedent to set giving away points as if teams get short benched or finances are tight a team out of league contention could opt to make up a bogus fiasco to give away two points and save a bumper load of cash.

As soon as there was a sniff of Clan winning league last year the argument of it being non legit because of the conference system started. Could you imagine Sheffield winning league by one point after being gifted two. It would kick right of.

Financial compensation between two teams even a point penalty to one just effects the two teams involved. I'd even go as far as eliminating them from the challenge cup as that would hit them financially. As soon as you go to forfeit point awards every other team has a stake in that though and it's not right in a pro league. Team are obliged to complete all there fixtures. Despite Belfasts whole hearted blame here they will still do that and afraid Steelers have to lump it to some extent something I know the greatest franchise in hockey history really isn't happy doing.
Some interesting points here but I have to take issue with the greatest franchisees in hockey history - I doubt a single UK team could claim that. Do I hear a tounge in cheek?

KaneDevils

Football games are often cancelled at short notice because of frozen/waterlogged pitches etc. They are just replayed though and there is never any suggestion of points deduction. Sometimes fans get reimbursed but its' very rare.
You normally find that the club will offer free travel to the rearranged fixture, as in effect, the fans have already paid.

I have to be honest. If I owned a team and a rink and had the choice of putting 1d on I'd pick that all day long.

Can I ask though, at what point were the Steelers made aware of this?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Mooney#16

Thread starter #32
They were informed late on the Wednesday morning with the game due to be that Friday so it would have been little over 55 hours.

£10.00 for the webcast? OK.. appreciate they do an "early bird" for £8.00 but considering what our guys at IceTime put on for £5.99 out of a tent that is incredibly expensive.

Possibly down to the fact that the game is at Ice Shuff so maybe a good deal of Steelers fans not able to attend as not in the Arena and this is a cash cow opportunity?

Think I will stick with Inferno MNL and/or the twitter feeds from Sheffield. Makes me shiver a bit to put money in the pocket of the Steelers at the best of times!

Wannabe2

It's a crap decision, loads of Steelers won't be able to get into Ice Sheffield,loyal fans, so what do the club do, hike up the charges for there webcast..Typical Sheffield garbage, bugger the fans.

KaneDevils

£10.00 for the webcast? OK.. appreciate they do an "early bird" for £8.00 but considering what our guys at IceTime put on for £5.99 out of a tent that is incredibly expensive.
Good point. (are we agreeing again? :shock: )
I bought the webcast for the giants game and is was basically perfect, and as Tyke says, from out of a plastic tent. £10 is nutty noo-nah. I am tempted at £8 for Wednesday though. I think we may just go there and do em!