Time to start a campaign to open the rink?

Thread starter #1
Question to everyone now that rinks in England have been open since 21st May why have we been treated differently ?
Today Welsh sport is starting to open up.
We don't want to open up fully we only want permission to prepare to open the rink after 6 weeks of preparation.

So I ask all Cardiff ice hockey fans and the ice skating community should we make our voices heard?

We have people I know who can use contacts and skills to get this going!

Let's go Devils, let's go Cardiff ice fans!

mjh

I went skating twice since last march. Both times in England, including once last week. The rink ran a tight ship and were cleaning everything as if the mother in law was on her way round. Limited numbers which made the experience much better for skating. I'd be up for campaigning to get it open and have previously spoken to my member of the Senedd. Think this is pretty low on the priority list for WG. I'd support your suggestion.

pjj365

Why?

On current infection rates etc. the plan appears to be to open rinks on 21 June - detail as to whether this is just skating or contact sport with or without spectators is currently lacking.

https://gov.wales/first-minister-confirms-phased-move-alert-level-one

The issue is surely is it affordable. IIRC the ice plant start up costs £60k +. If this is right will all non-hockey related skating provide a sufficient return? Presumably extra staff will be needed for cleaning regimes/stewarding, will on-ice social distancing be attractive enough to the leisure skater, will the Grazing Shed be able to open with table service only etc.??

I think we can rely on Todd to be open with us about these factors (as he has been all along) and to continue his dialogue with WG.

Whilst we should support this it should not simply be "use your contacts" - thereby lies chaos. Those with contacts should surely reach out to Todd first so a united front can be presented, presumably, focused around 21 June announcement

moggy#9

Why?

On current infection rates etc. the plan appears to be to open rinks on 21 June - detail as to whether this is just skating or contact sport with or without spectators is currently lacking.

https://gov.wales/first-minister-confirms-phased-move-alert-level-one

The issue is surely is it affordable. IIRC the ice plant start up costs £60k +. If this is right will all non-hockey related skating provide a sufficient return? Presumably extra staff will be needed for cleaning regimes/stewarding, will on-ice social distancing be attractive enough to the leisure skater, will the Grazing Shed be able to open with table service only etc.??

I think we can rely on Todd to be open with us about these factors (as he has been all along) and to continue his dialogue with WG.

Whilst we should support this it should not simply be "use your contacts" - thereby lies chaos. Those with contacts should surely reach out to Todd first so a united front can be presented, presumably, focused around 21 June announcement
I agree the response needs to be coordinated rather than piecemeal. The question is whether those making decisions have any idea of what it takes to get a rink running again (I'm sure that Todd will be doing his best to educate them), and if they understand what the rink is used for other than just public skating. The date of 21st June, given the six week start up period, would give about a month's grace before hockey starts. That said the rink would want to be open for school holiday skating and for training before the season. Again, because hockey is the only major indoor sport in Wales, we are an afterthought. I'm convinced that the reason the outdoor stuff is getting sorted is because of pressure from the egg chasers for their events.

pjj365

I agree the response needs to be coordinated rather than piecemeal. The question is whether those making decisions have any idea of what it takes to get a rink running again (I'm sure that Todd will be doing his best to educate them), and if they understand what the rink is used for other than just public skating. The date of 21st June, given the six week start up period, would give about a month's grace before hockey starts. That said the rink would want to be open for school holiday skating and for training before the season. Again, because hockey is the only major indoor sport in Wales, we are an afterthought. I'm convinced that the reason the outdoor stuff is getting sorted is because of pressure from the egg chasers for their events.
I'm sure that Todd will be pushing to include any ice dance/figure skating needs to be included in making opening an imperative. Anyone whose queued for playoff tickets will know how busy these 6am sessions are - and they're already pretty well socially distanced

Anyone know if any of these skaters are GB standard and/or on young Olympian programs - that would be a strong lever