Thursday's vote and ice hockey implications

Thread starter #1
Bit naive with all of this. If the outcome of the vote on Thursday is to leave the EU. How does it affect the imports and those with European passports? Can we expect major changes in our sport?

Earnie

If we as a nation vote Stay then I guess nothing changes.
If we vote OUT then in the short term (say two years) I guess nothing changes either because it will take a long time to sort out the mess.
In the long term I am not even going to bother guessing .

SteveKing

Really the only implication for us is in signing imports. They get paid in pounds so a strong pound gives them a higher salary in whatever their home currency is, making it more attractive to sign with us. Small movements in the pound have no impact but a substantial decrease in the pound if the vote is to exit could have an impact for any remaining players that have not yet been signed.

The flip side is that a devalued pound would make it easier for us to potentially buy the IAW ;)

Devil_Abroad

Haha way to influence our vote Steve lol so what's this I hear about Canada's impending trade deal with EU? Maybe you can enlighten the Brexit camp on how much it will cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

And can I just plead with everyone to vote remain so I can get $2 dollars to the £ rather than $1 in October! Then we can afford to see more Devils games this year :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazza03

SteveKing said:
Really the only implication for us is in signing imports. They get paid in pounds so a strong pound gives them a higher salary in whatever their home currency is, making it more attractive to sign with us. Small movements in the pound have no impact but a substantial decrease in the pound if the vote is to exit could have an impact for any remaining players that have not yet been signed.

The flip side is that a devalued pound would make it easier for us to potentially buy the IAW ;)
:D

Devil94

Two tweets from EIHL players says it all.

Chris Higgins "My British pounds just turned into Monopoly money"

Alex Leavitt "Brexit just f****** up my world."

I imagine a lot of potential sigings now pulling out, and cans see some players already signed and announced pulling out of deals.

Have Hope#35

Devil94 said:
Two tweets from EIHL players says it all.

Chris Higgins "My British pounds just turned into Monopoly money"

Alex Leavitt "Brexit just f****** up my world."

I imagine a lot of potential sigings now pulling out, and cans see some players already signed and announced pulling out of deals.
I can see it starting to climb back up given a few weeks... It's already started to creep back up a bit as the day has gone on! There was always going to be a huge downturn immidiately after deciding to Leave, lets hope things get back on track by the start of the season.

Electro

All markets that matter dropped. If your career is dependent on the strength of the pound your either well overpaid or extremely low paid.

I'm not too concerned about the markets. As soon as things settle down, they'll follow. The reason the fall looked so bad today was for two reasons. First, for some reason, the markets before the vote acted as though we were staying in and kept climbing high. Second, once it turned out we weren't staying in, they lost on the gamble and they got hit by us leaving. One half was caused by the vote, the other half was caused by their own stupidity.

What does concern me, is the UK. I really hope this doesn't trigger a Scotland leave. It would be terrible. I respect anyone who voted out for legit reasons, but to me, I feel as though people fell for lies because they simply couldn't be bothered to do some research. We won't get '350' million a day extra, Daniel Hanan has already said immigration won't see a huge change and a lot of the EU rules will probably just end up here anyway.

:DWD

Another issue is EU passports. All non-UK passport holders would require a work permit, unless the UK continues to allow free-movement (which seems unlikely given the rhetoric).

I doubt "Hockey Player" would make it on to a points system for needed occupations!

Electro said:
All markets that matter dropped. If your career is dependent on the strength of the pound your either well overpaid or extremely low paid.
Unless, of course, your job depends on imported raw materials, which suddenly got more expensive, or the business is a high user of energy which is priced in US Dollars. And that's the short term. Longer term, some multi-nationals could move to an EU location.

Of course, if you're working for an exporter, life just got oh so good.

But, hey, whatever happens, it happens. We voted.

My grandma always used to say, "Be careful what you wish for"!

God, the uncertainty is just awful at the moment. Despite all the negatives, I'm sure we'll come out okay, but it's the mess and the media frenzy that's getting on my nerves.

Electro

It's pretty obvious that Germany has already agreed with the UK that it would support an agreement similar to Norway. That agreement allows free movement between it and the EU. It's also a pretty good trade deal for both.

This was all sorted months if not years ago. You don't risk the stability of the 5th largest economy to a referendum. One man does not have such power, not the Prime Minister or the President.

The Remain campaign was funded by top influential businesses that would be affected by leaving. That does not mean it's bad for the economy, business or its citizens. It's said that prices will drop, mortgages will become easier to attain and wages will increase. Paddy Ashdown was promoting this scenario as being bad for business.

My comments regarding employment and the pound was reference to hockey players.

Bad press sells, the UK is good at it. If you want a balance view Google foreign media stores. The EU has been pressing the remain camp because of instability within the European Union and their plans and little to do with the UK's demise. In fact many European economics that don't hold an agenda have supported the UK to leave. The EU now has to change, they didn't want it, hence the doom scenario, which is basically a smoke screen.

I'm not so sure on a Norway like deal. That's not what 'Leave' were pushing for as it still involves free movement of people. I'm surprised a lot of 'Leave' voters aren't angry right now. It hadn't even been 24 hours, and 'Leave' backtracked on two of their three reasons to leave.

If we leave and only get control (which, we mostly had anyway) this really was a mess for no reason.