Thoughts are with Adam Johnson, Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers

moggy#9

Really is difficult to know what to say after such a horrific accident. Would renaming the Challenge Cup The Johnson Memorial be a terrible idea?
Whatever happens, when the time is right, I'm sure that there will be consultation with family and teams mates for something appropriate. I guess that's a problem for sometime during the road though. Certainly I think it would be a nice tribute. I'm imagining that the panthers will retire the number.

SIH following suit, well done for making these decisions and quickly.
Letter to all member clubs across Scottish Ice hockey.
REF: Player Safety Review and Action Plan in response to the tragic passing of Nottingham Panthers player #47 Adam Johnson, after an on ice incident.
Dear Members,
It is without question an extremely sad moment in time for our sport across the world and a stark reminder of our, and your duties as custodians of the sport. Like all sports, “it is only sport”, and the safety of our players must be our first priority. We have an absolute duty to do everything within our power to prevent a tragic accident like this from ever happening in our sport again.
With this in mind, and the need for short, medium and long term action, Scottish Ice Hockey have made the decision to carry out the following steps:
1. SHORT TERM (Immediate): Scottish Ice Hockey make a “strong recommendation” that all players at all levels across Scottish Ice Hockey use an approved Ice Hockey Neck Guard/Protector whilst participating in all on ice activities. (This “strong recommendation” is in place until 31 December 2023, after which it will become a mandatory requirement. It is not mandatory with immediate effect due to anticipated supply issues. This will be under constant review between now and mandatory implementation.) All protective equipment must be worn without alterations and as directed by the manufacturers’ specification.
2. MEDIUM TERM (Within 12 Months): Scottish Ice Hockey, in consultation with relevant stakeholders, will conduct a Player Safety Equipment thorough review considering all aspects of player safety equipment including, but not limited to, the use of helmets, mouthguards/gumshields and facial protection, and the application of IIHF rules.
3. LONG TERM (Ongoing): Scottish Ice Hockey will provide its membership with clear guidance on the ongoing and continuous improvement of Player Safety and their duties within this area. This will include the requirement for all clubs to be able to demonstrate that they proactively manage Player Safety within their organisations.
It is unacceptable that any player loses their life playing our sport and it is incumbent upon us to do all we can to prevent a repeat of this tragic accident, but also to prevent other foreseeable incidents in the future. We have a legal and moral duty to respond in a measured and practical way. It is highly possible that other reviews will take place at an international level and Scottish Ice Hockey will participate proactively in this process.
Yours faithfully
JOHN COLLEY – SIH CHAIRMAN

ASHIPP

EIHA are making neck guards a mandatory requirement at all levels from 1st January 2024. It’ll be highly recommended until 31st December 2023 due to potential supply issues so giving clubs and players time to purchase the equipment.
Don't know why it wasn't compulsory before this.

moggy#9

Hockey players are notoriously slow to change. When I started watching hockey there where still half a dozen players without helmets. For years many players wore jofa VM helmets which offered hardly any protection. Today there are still a handful of players with grandfathered rights on half face visors. Neck guards need to be a blanket rule.

I'm a little bit shocked the Devils haven't put out any form of statement of their own. It's all just retweeting the arena or EIHL accounts.

Great to see an amazing turnout tonight. Wish I could have made it down there.

drainage

I'm a little bit shocked the Devils haven't put out any form of statement of their own. It's all just retweeting the arena or EIHL accounts.

Great to see an amazing turnout tonight. Wish I could have made it down there.
Probably letting those most impacted have the floor , nothing I know about the Devils says they aren’t feeling this. Not the time to judge in my opinion

Probably letting those most impacted have the floor , nothing I know about the Devils says they aren’t feeling this. Not the time to judge in my opinion
Totally agree, there’s no right or wrong in such a tragic situation, it’s for anyone in their own space and time to choose an appropriate response! My deepest sympathies are with Ryan’s family and friends, the spectators who witnessed this directly, and our entire hockey family

Thread starter #52
Whatever happens, when the time is right, I'm sure that there will be consultation with family and teams mates for something appropriate. I guess that's a problem for sometime during the road though. Certainly I think it would be a nice tribute. I'm imagining that the panthers will retire the number.
Still in shock by this sad news like the whole of the Hockey World and my thoughts continue to be with Adams family, friends, and all whom have been affected by this tragic incident.

I do think what you have mentioned is a good proposal to be considered in the future and I would imagine when the time is right the league and Nottingham Panthers will consult with those closest to Adam and make a appropriate dedication/tribute.

I also agree and it is highly likely that his number will be retired by Nottingham and possibly even Sheffield but I personally think it would be a nice tribute for all clubs in the EIHL to retire this number.

Does anyone know if a go fund page has been set up to assist his family or whether there is something in place where I could make a donation and/or whether a online page has been opened to write a remembrance message of Adam for his family?

kettdevil1

Still in shock by this sad news like the whole of the Hockey World and my thoughts continue to be with Adams family, friends, and all whom have been affected by this tragic incident.

I do think what you have mentioned is a good proposal to be considered in the future and I would imagine when the time is right the league and Nottingham Panthers will consult with those closest to Adam and make a appropriate dedication/tribute.

I also agree and it is highly likely that his number will be retired by Nottingham and possibly even Sheffield but I personally think it would be a nice tribute for all clubs in the EIHL to retire this number.

Does anyone know if a go fund page has been set up to assist his family or whether there is something in place where I could make a donation and/or whether a online page has been opened to write a remembrance message of Adam for his family?
Nottingham are looking to set up a page. There are a few unofficial ones but I think waiting for something official is probably wise.

SteveKing

I'm still lost for words and completely rattled by this incredibly awful event. As someone that's been involved in the sport since I was three years old and with a son still actively playing, I'm shaken with what has happened. So sorry for the Johnson family and everyone that was close to him. Any sport played with sharp objects at high pace inherently comes with a degree of risk but nobody has ever seen something like this happen and I hope it never happens again.

We have been meeting with each player on the Devils as well as their significant others to make sure that they have all of the resources for their mental health that they need. We have also secured neck protection for each player as well. We have also been working behind the scenes to ensure that the league and all of its teams make a meaningful gesture to pay respects to Adam. I pray we never have another incident like this in the sport we all love.

BostonBart22

In the light of what happened last weekend I can see the clubs stepping up on first aid and help if needed , I know it was a freak accident and the outcome was terrible for all concerned, I'm a bit worried of our first aid facilities as a girl got hit by a puck in a block by myself, the girl photographer went to see if the girl was OK, fine with that, then JD done the same again, then 2 guys from security done exactly the same...but no sign of a first aider or st John's ambulance in sight, thankfully the girl wasn't injured and didn't need medical attention, but is it available I wonder ...just saying

moggy#9

I think that this horrible situation is going to cause a lot of reflection on many things. Neck guards obviously, but also medical provision/response, governance within the game, how the media is dealt with, and the behaviour of the media - all sorts of things.