This team

TL91

Coughler is not a third line centre in the EIHL. Completely agree. That’s why if you can get him to be then you have lept a huge hurdle to becoming champions. We had Stephen Dixon there before and his CV is off the charts compared to Cougs. No offence intended. As a GM surely you have to be cheeky as hell and not take options of the table based on assumption.
We did have Dixon there but he’s also winding down his career so is more likely to accept it. Coughler still has (hopefully) many ahead of him. Regardless, it’s a tough job recruiting! See many names on here being touted…the Angers keeper as one as he performed well against us. It’s easy to make points such as this, but we see a small window, not the whole thing. Bro feud of Storm had a blinder against us towards the end, but listening to Storm fans some have said he can drop a number of clangers. Tough job!

Finny

I'm not sure it's fair to compare the likes of Brine and Bordealeau on the 4th line as a lot has changed since them. Most notably the exchange rate and value of the £. Players might get paid in £s but their value is set in $s. Hence why the standard in recent years is lower than it was previously.

A fit Coughler is good enough to be a top 2 centre on a Championship winning team.
What we do need though is three strong lines and a 4th line who can shut teams down and chip in with goals.
This season we had one strong line, one successful 4th line and two other lines which were never settled and never got going.

moggy#9

I think it's easy to get hung up on line numbers, but it's about bringing different capabilities and the ability to execute different game plans. As long as each line in itself is balanced (I usually think of it as a playmaker, a scorer and a grinder) it shouldn't matter what you arbitrarily number it. Our big problem is that our recruitment this season hasn't focussed on these complimentary qualities. Our inability to get someone into the slot or to retain the puck on the boards has hurt us, and you need muscle for that.

Mooney#16

I'm not sure it's fair to compare the likes of Brine and Bordealeau on the 4th line as a lot has changed since them. Most notably the exchange rate and value of the £. Players might get paid in £s but their value is set in $s. Hence why the standard in recent years is lower than it was previously.

A fit Coughler is good enough to be a top 2 centre on a Championship winning team.
What we do need though is three strong lines and a 4th line who can shut teams down and chip in with goals.
This season we had one strong line, one successful 4th line and two other lines which were never settled and never got going.
I’m not playing down Cougs talent. He’s a great great player. However are Joey M and Cougs championship winning top two centres. I have a doubt in which case one has to go unless one will play third line. It would feel a shame to lose either and if you can fit them in I see that as championship winning recruitment.

Completely onboard with your point about Brine and Bordy. Different time. Different finance. I think I was hinting at never discounting an option until it’s firmly off the table. Having two ex nhlers on a Devils fourth line felt surreal at the time and still does to this day but it happened.

The_Stick_

I would love a point scoring, Power Forward. Someone who isn’t afraid to drive to the net, and someone who will be an absolute menace in front of the opposition goalie. Someone like Desbiens of Sheffield back some years ago

lloyd_jeff

It’s not the placing of players on lines that is the issue, it’s the lack of dealing with poor performance & results. Coughler can ask whatever the hell he wants, as others can, simple fact is, they achieved nothing this season, so their worth will be diminished. When they sign they’re not allocated a line, it’s not contractually fixed, it’s fluid and each player can be moved. Unfortunately next season as with previous seasons the club hasn’t binned players, see Coughler can do whatever he wants performance wise, if the team isn’t at the races, he’s not going to bust out trying to get a win, he like others will just put in whatever they like, no recourse.
Easy for me to say, as an armchair expert amongst many, who is probably wrong, but until players are shown the reward for not turning up is the back door, then we’ll never be competing. I’d be saying to Coughler, here is your offer, less than last yr, but if within a few months we are achieving you’ll earn more, if not bye bye. I’d do that to every player returning, although it wouldn’t be many because of the rot has set in and needs cleaning out.
What the ”experts” will do, we will see in the next few months…….

kingmo19.1

If (???) the club is somewhat restricted in terms of budget, maybe the powers that be need to revisit their Standard North American based recruitment process and potentially supplement this by also looking into Eastern Europe where there are some very very good players that are more than likely a financially cheaper option.

TL91

has coughler got a full season in him,fitness wise
If he’s fit…don’t see why not. We don’t know what the injury was although there are suspicions of concussion; he’s over it as he’s playing. Not saying he can’t take other knocks but that’s the same for any person who plays any sport.

moggy#9

If he’s fit…don’t see why not. We don’t know what the injury was although there are suspicions of concussion; he’s over it as he’s playing. Not saying he can’t take other knocks but that’s the same for any person who plays any sport.
What the injuries to him and others show is how much we need a team that stands up for each other. No one would take liberties of they had to deal with a mike macwilliam figure.

It's been embarrassing at times how unwilling the devils have been to punish serious transgressions by opponents. If that POS Conway were to try that stuff come the autumn I'd hope he'd get battered.

Ocko

What the injuries to him and others show is how much we need a team that stands up for each other. No one would take liberties of they had to deal with a mike macwilliam figure.

It's been embarrassing at times how unwilling the devils have been to punish serious transgressions by opponents. If that POS Conway were to try that stuff come the autumn I'd hope he'd get battered.
Maybe for standards of days gone by, but by modern day standards no team in the league fights anywhere near the amount we did.

Mike MacWilliams don’t exist anymore in the UK leagues and never will over here.