This is why i love the game

Thread starter #1
Well one of Steves friends worked for Sky sports and asked him if he wanted to go see a game and take our boys .. well that was it they were hooked from the very first drop of the puck

I loved it for a while weekends to myself as they wanted to travel but eventually i thought lets have a look see what all the fuss is about and guess what I LOVED IT hockey has become a huge part of my life i have met so many friends through Hockey , I have a lovely daughter in law because of Hockey and i have met so many lovely people that i would never have met if not for Hockey.
I have been through the Bob years and yes we have given him money been bewitched and bewildered by the man and come out the other end more sensible but still with a love of our team.
End of the day it really does not matter who owns us who pays the bills or who calls the shots Devils are my team and i bloody well love them .

Thread starter #2
dmd said:
Well one of Steves friends worked for Sky sports and asked him if he wanted to go see a game and take our boys .. well that was it they were hooked from the very first drop of the puck

I loved it for a while weekends to myself as they wanted to travel but eventually i thought lets have a look see what all the fuss is about and guess what I LOVED IT hockey has become a huge part of my life i have met so many friends through Hockey , I have a lovely daughter in law because of Hockey and i have met so many lovely people that i would never have met if not for Hockey.
I have been through the Bob years and yes we have given him money been bewitched and bewildered by the man and come out the other end more sensible but still with a love of our team.
End of the day it really does not matter who owns us who pays the bills or who calls the shots Devils are my team and i bloody well love them .
I should have added i would love to hear your story !!

I got into hockey through Winter Wonderland.

My 7 year old son dragged me onto the ice (first time in over 20 years), and loved it. Took a couple of sets of lessons and drifted towards the ice hockey. We started watching the grown ups play then, and loved the way they wanted the crowd to let it all out. We find it fast, exciting, and very therapeutic at the end of a long day, we go home totally chilled.

Two years on and he may have decided that he would prefer to watch than play now. Got no peace at the end of the season until season ticket was renewed, and have roped dad in for one too this year.

Also love the way the fans work for the fans, and think MNL and TCW in particular provide fantastic service.

A friends 40th in December of the 2007/2008 season, We went to Belfast for the weekend and watch our first hockey match as part of the celebrations. Panthers Vs Giants(Vs Hicks). Came home and decided I would like more, looked up the local club and have missed something like 6 home games since.

2010/2011 I discovered the away game, the play offs and the Castle Pub. :)

2011/2012 expecting lost weekends, dwindling bank balance and good times all round

Earnie

Isn't it nice to get a refreshing post like dmd started.
We started the year of THAT WEMBLEY FINAL and have been hooked since through thick and thin.

TheStub

Started through roller hockey, down here in West Wales. Loved roller hockey, and decided to go and watch ice hockey and see what it is all about, back in the last season of the ISL.

I was an on an off fan (with the distance) until my sister started Uni in Cardiff, started getting a ticket every week, and I couldn't have her going without me - and the rest is history.

I now spend probably spend 4 times more on petrol than my season ticket - but it is worth it.

If Ariva decided to start running trains late enough to get me home after games, I would be so happy it is unreal :D

DevilDom

I love this thread. Really reminded me of all the good things and not all the politics that seems to follow this sport around.

Anyway my story: The company I used to work for sponsored the Devils and were given 4 tickets to each home game. No one else in my office wanted to go so we (My Wife, Son and I) decided we'd give it a look being new to Cardiff at the time. The rest as you say is history, My son and I have been hooked ever since and have hardly missed a game in the past 4 years (A real lesson for how sponsorship and marketing works). My wife would also have been if it hadn't been for our 2 year old daughter who has also now been to a couple of games and absolutely loves it although she thinks hockey is called "lets go Devils" and constantly wants to watch "lets go Devils" on my laptop! Suffice to say as soon as she is old enough she will be coming along to more games with us.

We loved the family atmosphere, how friendly people are, and how approachable the players are (nothing like prima-dona football players). We've made some really good friends from Hockey and it has become a huge part of our life. Winter weekends wouldn't be the same without it!

mars

I got into hockey in 2003 when I was in school and dating someone in the junior team who took me to my first game. Again it was a case of I loved it straight away - when we split up I didn't go too often as my friends weren't that into it but I still loved the game.

In the 2009/10 season I had just come back to Cardiff having moved away for a while and was living on my own so decided to bite the bullett and start going to games alone each week. I wasn't alone long as I ended up meeting my current boyfriend through the devils and we now live together and our life revolves around hockey. We are now entering our second season ticket holder season and i have even managed to get my mum, brother and sister-in-law hooked too!! :)

Ger-Devils

Went to my first game at the age of 14 mainly due to the fact I was skating in the day and mates wanted to stay. Played roller hockey for 2 years then completely stopped going due to my rugby days progressing rather rapidly- Trials for pro contract, County Level + Wales rugby league.

A mate from the football was going to games about 2007/08 season and mentioned going down. I made a few games that year then 08/09 went most games despite not woking much, 09/10 made every game and some away trips so the bug was getting bigger. 10/11 got my first season ticket and done about 10 away trips- some messy :) . There was just me from Aberdare going, we now have an army of 8-9 every game.

Got a season ticket for this season and looking forward to it + some more great away trips. Belfast and Braehead mainly(Free digs at a friends house) I must remember not to start the chants all weekend at playoffs! No voice after the Coventry game 2 years ago- didn't help City beat Swansea right after it, also no voice after our wn v Giants this year.

Ger-Devils

DevilDom said:
I love this thread. Really reminded me of all the good things and not all the politics that seems to follow this sport around.

Anyway my story: The company I used to work for sponsored the Devils and were given 4 tickets to each home game. No one else in my office wanted to go so we (My Wife, Son and I) decided we'd give it a look being new to Cardiff at the time. The rest as you say is history, My son and I have been hooked ever since and have hardly missed a game in the past 4 years (A real lesson for how sponsorship and marketing works). My wife would also have been if it hadn't been for our 2 year old daughter who has also now been to a couple of games and absolutely loves it although she thinks hockey is called "lets go Devils" and constantly wants to watch "lets go Devils" on my laptop! Suffice to say as soon as she is old enough she will be coming along to more games with us.

We loved the family atmosphere, how friendly people are, and how approachable the players are (nothing like prima-dona football players). We've made some really good friends from Hockey and it has become a huge part of our life. Winter weekends wouldn't be the same without it!
That trip to Dull was priceless! Good times Dom!

Finny

Back in the late 70s and early 80s my dad and his mate were big Cardiff City fans. However I then came into the world and at the same time the City started doing rubbish (pretty sure the two aren't linked) and with a young family my dad could no longer justify spending whole saturdays watching a rubbish football team around the country.

So in 1986 when the Devils were formed my dad and his mate decided to start watching a sport that only took place in the evenings when the kids were already in bed. They were hooked instantly and 2 years later I was allowed to go to my first game - and I too fell in love. Over the next couple of years I was allowed to go occasionally when my dads mate couldn't go until I finally got my first season ticket for Christmas 1990. Been a season ticket holder ever since apart from 'that season' although my Dad and his mate stopped going following the drop from the ISL.

Great thread, brilliant to just look back and see the countless positives about my experience of Ice hockey..

I was ill with cancer in early 2003 and one of the nurses offered my Dad two tickets, which would change our lives entirely. We were mesmerised by the speed, the atmosphere, the effort that the players gave and how passionate the people around us were (This was the last year of the FBNL) The team were the rock behind my fight against the illness and I'll be forever grateful to them for it

Since then I've been allowed to have a role in testimonials, the match night team, office activities and community work with the DCF as well as attending every game and even putting on my skates for a charity tournament.

Ice hockey is simply everything to me, my entire life revolves around it and a lot of my friends haven't understood why it take up so much of my time until they visited last season!

Haven't had the opportunity to witness many trophy wins other than THAT Cup final against the Blaze which is up there with the best days of my life... but that doesn't bother me at all because at the end of the school/work week or after a difficult time.. hockey's always there for us.. I think some of us take that for granted..

A

Anonymous

drummer-sean said:
Great thread, brilliant to just look back and see the countless positives about my experience of Ice hockey..

I was ill with cancer in early 2003 and one of the nurses offered my Dad two tickets, which would change our lives entirely. We were mesmerised by the speed, the atmosphere, the effort that the players gave and how passionate the people around us were (This was the last year of the FBNL) The team were the rock behind my fight against the illness and I'll be forever grateful to them for it

Since then I've been allowed to have a role in testimonials, the match night team, office activities and community work with the DCF as well as attending every game and even putting on my skates for a charity tournament.

Ice hockey is simply everything to me, my entire life revolves around it and a lot of my friends haven't understood why it take up so much of my time until they visited last season!

Haven't had the opportunity to witness many trophy wins other than THAT Cup final against the Blaze which is up there with the best days of my life... but that doesn't bother me at all because at the end of the school/work week or after a difficult time.. hockey's always there for us.. I think some of us take that for granted..
I will not read a better post than that if I live to 100 !!

Found out about ice hockey in Cardiff after hearing an ad on CBC radio (Cardiff Broadcasting Company, anyone remember them?) went to the first game in 86 and been going ever since, "happy days" :D

steve

Zed said:
drummer-sean said:

I will not read a better post than that if I live to 100 !!

hear hear.

and similarly Sean, you provide inspiration for many, just like those players inspired you. :)

voth26

used to work for a company in cardiff, got talking to doug the god mc my first game was when the devils were being presented with the league trophy can,t remember which year but early 80's, and been going ever since, both my kids came with me my sons fav players were ruggles and ian cooper so shows the era i started, in fact my daughter still comes with her boyfriend now even his sister and her boy friend!!!!! the vother is my daughters fav player and she's 23
have to say there is nothing like a hockey night in cardiff it's got it all, well worth the money spent over the years and cant wait for this season to start
Come on you devils :p :p

Finny

voth26 said:
used to work for a company in cardiff, got talking to doug the god mc my first game was when the devils were being presented with the league trophy can,t remember which year but early 80's, and been going ever since,....
I think you mean early 90's ;)

First Elite season 03-04? was invited along with the now ex boyfriend by his sister and husband (who watched the devils weekly). First game V Belfast in the WNIR....

Met many great people, including my husband Paul through hockey, now married with our 12 day old baby.... :)

Have to agree here, best post in ages!

My love of the Devils only goes back to March 07, Belfast at home (sure it was midweek) and we lost in a shootout. Being a Manchester lad but having lived in Cardiff for nearly 30 years I was always aware of the Devils but it was a skiing trip to Banff in Canada and a trip to Calgray to see the Flames that kindled an interest. Just thought it was about time to take in a game and have loved it ever since. I have a young family and am hoping my two children will start joining their Dad every week for what I think is the best live sport money can buy, bar none!!

Cheekily I even arranged a trip to see the folks in Manchester a couple of years when we played at Altrincham on a sunday night. As a Manchester City fan for more years than I can recall I had no problem in where my loyalties lay that night, much to my mum's surprise!

Its that kind of experience, mixing with other geniune hockey fans, sharing a beer, and even dare I say it what almost amounted to a love in at the end of Monday night's forum that makes it a no brainer where my saturday and sunday nights will be spent next season!

kettdevil1

Great thread.

I was vaguely aware of hockey before attending my first game but went to my first game (versus Murrayfield) in OCtober 1989 on an impulse. Was hooked from the start by the atmosphere, the game and the fact that Cardiff had a winning team. Stephen Cooper dropped an Ayr player with one punch in my second game and from then on I have only missed "that" season. Work means that I tend to turn up more for away than home games but, still love it!