The structure for next year

jay44

Thread starter #1
From what Ive seen we dont have any top liners signed yet, hadad is a second liner wgo will put up points and throw the body perhaps he will be top line, I just want peoples opinion

For me the offence will be

Import-Import-Import Eurpeans possibly
Lord-Haddad-Max
Batch(I prefer him as a forward)if not net then morrisette on third line so we have three lines of scoring hockey Myers good defensively- rotate piggot and jones. Or play one and have other as injury reserve

So for me We still have three top liners to sign However I think max's best days are gone and I want someboy else,

And on defence
Marsh-Big import dman
Richardson-stay at home import Mark smith kind of plaer or an offensive d man
Batch maybe- then a great defensive Dman

However in that there is no tough guy/ voth character i would liek that in maxs place and put morrisette on the second line and then put the tough guy on the bottom line with myers and the two brit rotation.

May be badly written but i just want peoples opinions

Have Hope#35

jay44 said:
From what Ive seen we dont have any top liners signed yet, hadad is a second liner wgo will put up points and throw the body perhaps he will be top line, I just want peoples opinion

Lord-Haddad-Max
Batch(I prefer him as a forward)if not net then morrisette on third line so we have three lines of scoring hockey Myers good defensively- rotate piggot and jones. Or play one and have other as injury reserve

So for me We still have three top liners to sign However I think max's best days are gone and I want someboy else,

And on defence
Marsh-Big import dman

However in that there is no tough guy/ voth character i would liek that in maxs place and put morrisette on the second line and then put the tough guy on the bottom line with myers and the two brit rotation.

Not expecting many... If any Europeans! Especially not 3 on the top line, I also expect us to sign a tough guy/enforcer.

Finny

jay44 said:

Lord-Haddad-Max

And on defence
Marsh-Big import dman

I couldn't believe you didn't think Culligan would be a top line player, then I realised you missed him out completely?!?!

Culligan and Haddad are for me top line players. I think you are expecting too much if you think we will sign better players than those two in our last BBT season.

DevilDom

Personally I would prefer 3 lines all capable of chipping in with points then trying to rely too much on 1 top line of star players. I certainly hope that we go down that route with all our players being hardworking and gritty making us a nightmare to play against particularly at home.

You need a team to win & that's built using players that gel together along with skills.

I'd rather a team that works hard, grinds to the last second and puts 100% in, as opposed to won that contains a couple of expensive "talents" and the rest trying to keep up.

It looks as though stopping others scoring is high on the list of priorities, on paper an excellent job is being done so far. Its a major advantage having the other team getting all frustrated.

wildthing74

DevilDom said:
Personally I would prefer 3 lines all capable of chipping in with points then trying to rely too much on 1 top line of star players. I certainly hope that we go down that route with all our players being hardworking and gritty making us a nightmare to play against particularly at home.
I agree I'd much rather we throw out 3 capable lines and not rely on 1 offensive threat that could get shut down.When you see the teams like Nottingham & Belfast change every line is balanced and its hard to tell the difference at times. Obviously budget is a factor but it would be nice having 3 lines that could score and not 1 just trying not to get scored on.

Have Hope#35

jay44 said:
I dont think culligham is a top liner as he hasnt got a very good goal scoring record
Culligan knows where the net is but he looks like he's more of a provider... A bit similar to Chris Blight's roll for us!

I think Culligan is gonna light the league up this year. He came straight out of college into the AHL last year. You don't get there by accident.

voth26

jay44 said:
I dont think culligham is a top liner as he hasnt got a very good goal scoring record
Nice to see your positive about this season and the new guys signed so far!! Clearly you have a better idea of what type of player and roles they will be required to do than our new player/coach :roll: if i was you i would expect a call from todd and lordo asking which players we should sign next??.

Finny

So after the latest signings I think we are starting to look like this:

Clarkson - Culligan - Walton
Haddad - Myers - Lord
Mychan - Import - Morissette
Brit - Piggott - Jones

For me, Culligan and Walton are our two stand-out guys and I'd be amazed if they don't play together.
I don't know why, but I think we might try Clarkson on that top line. I was tempted by Haddad but as someone else pointed out - he has played with Lord before so they might want to keep that again. And I reckon Myers on that line would be a nightmare for opposition.
Which incredibly means we have a goalscorer like Morissette on our '3rd' line! Stick him with someone like Mychan to create space and give him a bit of protection and I can see him scoring big this year.

But does that mean we won't see Max return? Unless we try playing him out of position as the final centre (which I think we did at times last season?) or we re-try the experiment with Max on defence?

Mooney#16

It all rests on Batch now for me or at least acquiring a quality Brit no 6 d man. If you get that you can pick up two import D and use Max's home town discount to budget for those D men. Lord can play as a centre so put Max out on his wing as 12th import and you have yourself quite a line up. With all the changes it's important to have a little continuity and Max is the best for that at present and is a big talisman. With his career where it is adapting to a life on the second or third lines is his challenge and being much more consistent and defensively tight but standard of import for the money. Max has to be in the equation.

Ocko

Morissette can and has played centre in the past. Id have Max back in a heartbeat, a third line of Max, Jake and Mychan would be quality and better than most in the league.

Max is definitely good enough for this team, has been loyal to the Devils and has been the heartbeat of the team for years. He deserves a shot at playing for a good Cardiff organisation as he's stood by us even though he's been too good for this team in the past and should've been at a higher level.

And as Mooney said he would be a good value option. IMO he'd probably be one of if not the most talented third liner in the league.

James

Administrator
Ocko said:
Morissette can and has played centre in the past. Id have Max back in a heartbeat, a third line of Max, Jake and Mychan would be quality and better than most in the league.

Max is definitely good enough for this team, has been loyal to the Devils and has been the heartbeat of the team for years. He deserves a shot at playing for a good Cardiff organisation as he's stood by us even though he's been too good for this team in the past and should've been at a higher level.

And as Mooney said he would be a good value option. IMO he'd probably be one of if not the most talented third liner in the league.
Agree with all this. Would be very happy with Maxi back. He can be inconsistent if his line doesn't work him but he's still a great player before you take into account his 'home team discount'

Mooney#16

My lines would be a little different.

Haddad-Culligan-Walton
Clarkson-Lord-Morrisette
Mychan-Myers-Birbraer
CJ -Piggsie

I only say this as Conboy, Myers and Max were a very good line when they played together. Swapping in Mychan energy and grit that line would be physical with huge offensive upside.
Clarkson I think will benefit from a lot of coaching and guidance to get the best out of him and the best chance for Lordo to do this is if he's on his line and he also has good chemistry with Jake. Haddad looks to go not to be on the top offensive line with Culligan and Walton.

The Wales Online article said that we were looking to sign one top line import, which I asumed meant someone other than Max. If we have Batch as 6th D / 12th forward, I think it would be a bit of a gamble to also have Max as 5th D given his lack of experience in the position....especially with a young Brit netminder.

Have Hope#35

bluedevil said:
The Wales Online article said that we were looking to sign one top line import, which I asumed meant someone other than Max. If we have Batch as 6th D / 12th forward, I think it would be a bit of a gamble to also have Max as 5th D given his lack of experience in the position....especially with a young Brit netminder.
Isn't that 'Top Line Forward' todays Signing? So we have one more Import Forward to add to that and two Import D'men together with Batch presumably? Also says we may have a couple of two way Brits, I'd guess at Harding for one of those spots!?