The star... a step to far?

Thread starter #3
It should really put simms in the firing line, and it wouldn't half be about time, but i can't see it happening. Isn't it against the law to just make up quotes for the newspaper??? doesn't seem right to me.

Russky

Lets remember two things:

1 Items in The Stir a put there to incite hatred against their nemesis i.e. Brad Voth and as such are they pander to the neanderthal mentality of those reading such scurrilous clap trap and therefore such articles should be given the total and utter contempt they deserve!

2 I bet you that if Brad was a Steeler player, they would be writing that he is the best thing since sliced bread but as he isnt a SQUEELER, SO such articles are fuelled by nothing less than petty jealousy and envy!!!

Remember this: VOTH IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A DEVIL!!!!

If I was journalist I would take anything said by Mr. Simms with a pinch of salt (much like I do as a fan), actually attend games if I was going to write opinion match reports (as a fan does when they give post match opinions on forums) and conduct my own interviews with players/coaches.

I hope you get my drift! :lol:

nmase20 said:
It should really put simms in the firing line, and it wouldn't half be about time, but i can't see it happening. Isn't it against the law to just make up quotes for the newspaper??? doesn't seem right to me.
It isn't criminally illegal but newspapers can get sued for libel (i.e. essentially writing something misleading or false regarding a person which usually results in the person becoming embarrassed, socially shunned etc) in civil law.

drainage

personally I dont want anyone out of a job but I do think slanderous reporting should be curbed and dealt with .... the fact that Matsos came out and said no I never said that says to me hey respect to the guy. But idiots who post that tripe are the ones who need to be dealt with ...and its about time the stir were

Gazza272

drainage said:
personally I dont want anyone out of a job but I do think slanderous reporting should be curbed and dealt with .... the fact that Matsos came out and said no I never said that says to me hey respect to the guy. But idiots who post that tripe are the ones who need to be dealt with ...and its about time the stir were

I dont think its the writers fault (Bob Westerdale) i personally believe he writes in good faith what he is given, i believe it is the fault of the people attributing quotes to others (Finnerty, Dagenais, MAtsos) who have no clue how harmful/stupid the quotes they give out are.

I fear the years of unchallenged claims have led these persons into a false sense of securty which with the influx of more professional outfits are close to being challenged.

I think it would be more sensible for club statements across the board to be more sensibly written.

Gazza272 said:
drainage said:

I dont think its the writers fault (Bob Westerdale) i personally believe he writes in good faith what he is given, i believe it is the fault of the people attributing quotes to others (Finnerty, Dagenais, MAtsos) who have no clue how harmful/stupid the quotes they give out are.

I fear the years of unchallenged claims have led these persons into a false sense of securty which with the influx of more professional outfits are close to being challenged.

I think it would be more sensible for club statements across the board to be more sensibly written.
Itis the writer's fault, as it alwayd is with journalism
they have a responsibility to verify their information before publishing it, if they choose not to then they are at fault and deserve to have a libel case tqken against them!
Irresponsible journalism is a serious issue, this isnt the only instance of this and it happens every day in far bigger newspapers, but if you cannot yourself verify the facts (or in this case quotes) they should be published as personal opinions and not quotes.
I personally would hope that the Devils/Voth would at the very least seek a retraction and apology, as Matsos own comments which followed this show that it is a case of irresponsible reporting.

Thread starter #13
tbf you can't blame a journalist for publishing quotes of a sheffield player and coach when they are given to you by the official Press and Media Manager of the club.

Russky

nmase20 said:
tbf you can't blame a journalist for publishing quotes of a sheffield player and coach when they are given to you by the official Press and Media Manager of the club.

Therefore any writ for libel should be delivered then to both parties, The paper for publishing and the issuer of the defamatory information i.e. D Simms esq.