The same old devils.

Finny

So we're ignoring what the players say and going on the opinions of rugby fans?

PLT made a good suggestion on the other thread about going up straight after the Vipers game - though I guess again it depends on whether the players would have preferred to sleep in their own beds or sleep on a coach?

ASHIPP

Finny said:
PLT made a good suggestion on the other thread about going up straight after the Vipers game - though I guess again it depends on whether the players would have preferred to sleep in their own beds or sleep on a coach?
I am sure that a couple of earlier press releases in the Echo originally implied that the Devils were boarding a coach and travelling up straight after the home game on Wednesday?

TheStub

Re: Re: The same old devils.

ASHIPP said:
Finny said:
I am sure that a couple of earlier press releases in the Echo originally implied that the Devils were boarding a coach and travelling up straight after the home game on Wednesday?
They didn't. They left the following morning.

At least the next Dundee game has clear days either side, so up the day before and hotel it even if they don't fly.

The January fixture is more of a worry as we play at home Saturday and Dundee Sunday. That has to be coach right after the game, if not flights.

osh

Finny said:
So we're ignoring what the players say and going on the opinions of rugby fans?

Finny I really do wonder about you continually making up stories and your comparisons. No, we are not ignoring what the players say at all. You mentioned that you had spoken to an EX Devil, so not a current player. I am pretty sure that if current players are asked they would prefer the flight.I will make a few enquiries myself and try and speak to a few of the players and see what they have to say. My comparison for rugby fans was a fair point I felt and your attempt at sarcasm sums you up says a lot about you sadly. Unless its your idea, you seem to dismiss sensible suggestions out of hand.

osh

Re: Re: The same old devils.

TheStub said:
ASHIPP said:
Finny said:
They didn't. They left the following morning.

At least the next Dundee game has clear days either side, so up the day before and hotel it even if they don't fly.

The January fixture is more of a worry as we play at home Saturday and Dundee Sunday. That has to be coach right after the game, if not flights.

Sorry Stub, forgot to mention in my previous post, flights up in January are about £98 return ( up on Sunday afternoon and back Monday morning) not cheap I know, especially with accommodation and coaches from airport etc. But other games are showing much cheaper flights if booked now ( I'm flying up myself as it happens)

ok so the flights up are £98 pound return each, I gather that includes taxes, but what about baggage. Don't theses budget airlines charge between £20 - £30 per bag with an allowance of 11kg (not sure theses figures are correct - but not far out). So each player would have to pay way over for excessive baggage. OK the kit could go up by van, but when the org done this last year, there was uproar cause they missed the ferry back and the game had a very late start. I agree, the situation is not a good one, and I wish the club had more options, but we all know that what the club wants and the club never gets re fixtures. I think this is a no win situation. As people have said, we are doing ok with finances (I hope) but we are not a rich club.

osh

Yes you're right about the ferry business last season, but that doesn't apply to a Scottish trip. I'd get the gear taken up by van. forgetting the £98.00 flights for just a moment, there are flights available at £57.98 for other Scottish dates when we are playing, worth considering I'd say.

The same old devils? The same old fans I reckon... You can predict the thread before you read it

The positive fans staying positive

The negative fans staying negative

You know who you are

Koop11

I think some need to get over themselves regarding the prices of flights and accept we were not good enough on the night and Dundee worked hard for their win. We lost folks. Move on.

osh

Koop11 said:
I think some need to get over themselves regarding the prices of flights and accept we were not good enough on the night and Dundee worked hard for their win. We lost folks. Move on.
Quite right, we weren't good enough on the night. Move on you say ? Right again, but you have to wonder why we lost, be constructive and try and avoid a repetition next time, whats so wrong with that or are you happy for the same thing next time because I'm not if it can be avoided.

osh

matt1986 said:
The same old devils? The same old fans I reckon... You can predict the thread before you read it

The positive fans staying positive

The negative fans staying negative

You know who you are

And some fans prepared to tell it like it is, whether it be + or - ! And some fans like you who just sit on the fence :? ;)

Koop11

osh said:
Koop11 said:
Quite right, we weren't good enough on the night. Move on you say ? Right again, but you have to wonder why we lost, be constructive and try and avoid a repetition next time, whats so wrong with that or are you happy for the same thing next time because I'm not if it can be avoided.
Repetition?! A little pot kettle black here I think considering the amount of posts regarding flights.

My suggested reasons for why we may have lost are far more constructive than going on about how we should have flown.

I'm never happy to lose. Recourse the defence may help to avoid this next time.

osh

Koop11 said:
osh said:
Koop11 said:
Repetition?! A little pot kettle black here I think considering the amount of posts regarding flights.

My suggested reasons for why we may have lost are far more constructive than going on about how we should have flown.

I'm never happy to lose. Recourse the defence may help to avoid this next time.
I'm as keen as anyone to see us do well all the time. The fact that I questioned the mode of transport was because I don't think it gave our team the best possible chance of playing to the best of their undoubted abilities. I have also posted the exact costs as I think it should be taken into consideration next time. I've got no problem with the fact we may have been beaten by the better team on the night. Put it this way, we will be travelling up to Scotland to play Edinburgh on a Saturday night in Feb and the Panthers at home the following night in Cardiff, do you really think that a similar coach trip is the best possible way to prepare for such a game ? If so, fair enough.

If the tickets are £60 each it would be £1,200 just to take the team, Franny and one other person. If you factor in the cost of transporting the kit and travel too and from the airports it doesn't sound quite so reasonable!

I don't know how much a coach is, but I doubt it is anywhere near that much. If finances are tight this could be the reason for the decision, right or wrong

Koop11

osh said:
I'm as keen as anyone to see us do well all the time. The fact that I questioned the mode of transport was because I don't think it gave our team the best possible chance of playing to the best of their undoubted abilities. I have also posted the exact costs as I think it should be taken into consideration next time. I've got no problem with the fact we may have been beaten by the better team on the night. Put it this way, we will be travelling up to Scotland to play Edinburgh on a Saturday night in Feb and the Panthers at home the following night in Cardiff, do you really think that a similar coach trip is the best possible way to prepare for such a game ? If so, fair enough.
No I don’t think it would be the best possible way to prepare for the game. I don't despute that. If however those are the circumstances we’re faced with, the team will need to work very hard on the Sunday and with a full bench will be more than capable of beating Nottingham at home that night.

osh

Fair answer Koop, cant argue with your logic tbh. BlueDevil, I really don't know what coach costs etc would be (maybe Bob the Driver can give an idea) but if it is a cost thing, I honestly woud chip in towards offsetting costs. Lets say if only 400 fans put in a tenner each ( easy to say I know) £4000.00 ! That would be a huge help for at least 2 of the Scottish away games at least. I really am trying to be constructiove here believe me, so bear with me for repeating myself, sorry.