The future of the Elite League and its teams

Kevlar68

I think that's a good call, prefer to hear a realistic start date than the league say Aug then put off till Sept then put off till Oct etc.

Shame they didn't do that with lockdown, instead of 3 week periods would prefer them to say lockdown is until Sept then if it can be lifted early its a bonus.

kingmo19.1

I can see lockdown being over by the end of may!
by the end of June we will be back to normal or end of July latest.. this will not carry on in to August September that’s a fact
To be specific, please clarify EXACTLY what you mean by the statement “by the end of June we will be back to normal or end of July latest”. So what exactly is your definition of normal ?

pjj365

June or july I said yes! Didn't say the season will start then did I??
If we start in October all they have to do is cancel the cc cup.
Read the press re!ease - cup will continue
Also, a bit of basic knowledge suggests the leauge has simply moved the season back a month - so why should anything change from previous seasons

matbur

Thread starter #107
Bear in mind, what the league wants and what is possible within restrictions might be conflicting.

Honestly, I'd be astounded if public gatherings inside arenas are allowed to happen while we are still unvaccinated.

Party pooper? Yes. Unrealistic? No.

matbur

Thread starter #109
Professor Chris Whitty a short while ago:

“We have to be very realistic,” he said. “If people are hoping it’s suddenly going to move from where we are in lockdown to where suddenly into everything is gone, that is a wholly unrealistic expectation.

“We are going to have to do a lot of things for really quite a long period of time, the question is what is the best package and this is what we’re trying to work out.

“If you release more on one area, you have to keep on board more of another area so there’s a proper trade-off and this is what ministers are having to consider.”

Gospel

Didnt he also say that social distancing could stay until the end of the year? If so that will make any sporting event very difficult to attend, 2m distance in any stadium/arena will probably reduce attendance by about 75%.

kingmo19.1

Look, let’s very be clear, forget what this Chris Whitty bloke has said and just ignore all of the expert advisors - DevilsATW has specifically stated that we’ll all be back to normal by the end of June or the end of July at the latest!

Caveat to the above : he’s not actually defined what “normal” is and also hasn’t specified whether it’s 2020, 2021, 2022 ....

But hey, let’s not get bogged down in the detail!

pjj365

Nicola Sturgeon update today - expects social distancing to continue towards the end of the year and does not see mass gatherings any time soon - doesn't sound good for Scottish hockey

matbur

Thread starter #116
It's becoming widely speculated now that fans are not going to be permitted to attend Football League games until early 2021 in the first instance.

if this is accurate, there is not a cat in hell's chance (what a strange phrase that is btw!) that the Elite League season will be able to run without fans attending, it just won't be financially viable.

I've read comments querying why we haven't announced a signing yet as the season ticket deadline has passed, some people just don't grasp the current situation. It's not convenient and not what we want to hear, but next season has to be in grave danger of starting in 2020, at the very least.

Kevin roog

Sky sports reporting that the premier league football clubs are preparing to play all of 20/21 behind closed doors, not good for us (devils) If true