The Bumper G to Steelers thread ( all merged)

James

Administrator
Re: Adams coach at Steelers!!!

In all fairness it says he's 'sure to jump at the chance' no that he's signed. But yes it seems it's been on the cards since he left here and I assume he would forfeit his testimonial had he signed there before it. Assuming it is a done deal I wish him all the best with the oranges but I suspect his style, like the Big Dog won't be too popular with the Sheffield fans.

Ocko

Good luck to G at the Devils old boys club at Sheffield, except obviously against us.

It must've been a hard decision for G, even though it might be obvious to some that he would jump at the chance he is obviously very settled in Cardiff with his family and it wouldnt have been a easy decision to make the make the move.

Finny

Can a Mod change the title of the thread, as this is not what the article says at all. :roll:

James

Administrator
Re: Adams coach at Steelers!?!

I've changed an exclamation mark to a question mark :) There have been rumours since Christmas though so I wouldn't be at all surprised. As Devilman says, it's a day too early though really. I hope it doesn't damage the testimonial as 'come help support the Steelers new coach' has less of an appeal :D

drainage

James said:
I've changed an exclamation mark to a question mark :) There have been rumours since Christmas though so I wouldn't be at all surprised. As Devilman says, it's a day too early though really. I hope it doesn't damage the testimonial as 'come help support the Steelers new coach' has less of an appeal :D
I think we all knew it was coming ...I expected the news to be released after the game tonight but seems the Sheffield Star lack class that's hardly news though! You would have thought anyone with an IQ over single figures would have released that tomorrow but hey ho you can't buy intelligence!

Wish him well , support Shuff nope! I just hope there isn't a mass exodus of players but if there is hope we get a decent team in ...... It's sport , be good to move past this season and see our team respected once again

After what Gerad has done with limited budgets at Cardiff, I don't think the rest of the league want to see what Gerad can do with the budget that will be available to him there

Good luck to Gerad in his new post especially as it wasn't him that left the Devils, he was pushed

James said:
In all fairness it says he's 'sure to jump at the chance' no that he's signed. But yes it seems it's been on the cards since he left here and I assume he would forfeit his testimonial had he signed there before it. Assuming it is a done deal I wish him all the best with the oranges but I suspect his style, like the Big Dog won't be too popular with the Sheffield fans.

Pedant Touche :lol:

Temme

Said this would happen weeks ago.

Glad for him, although poor time to announce it.

Now we wait and see how many of our current roster we can keep next term if G stays there...

jimmy snels

good luck to g if true
Dump and chase at the steelers won't cut it tho so it'll be interesting to see if he can change his style enough to suit the crowd. I wouldn't say G did particularly well "considering budgets". Partially as the only season we excelled was when we brought in weller with a huge budget (allegedly as no one knows what budgets anyone actually has its all guess work)

jimmy snels said:
good luck to g if true
Dump and chase at the steelers won't cut it tho so it'll be interesting to see if he can change his style enough to suit the crowd. I wouldn't say G did particularly well "considering budgets". Partially as the only season we excelled was when we brought in weller with a huge budget (allegedly as no one knows what budgets anyone actually has its all guess work)
That was the huge budget that was far less than the Steelers in that year when they beat us to the league at the last minute then. :) :)

Ocko

James said:
I suspect his style, like the Big Dog won't be too popular with the Sheffield fans.
His teams were set up to be effective and to get results, that admittedly came at a cost of performace some years. But IMO he never had the personnel to be anything other than that.

The year we had heavy investment in the squad in the year we had Weller, Matzka, Michel etc no one complained about the team performances or style played then. I'd say that year is up there with any we've had for entertainment.

DevilDom

Sad to see G join them lot but it has been expected for some time and no one can blame him for it at all. Sheffield need a coach and he is a very good one and is available. It will be interesting to see how he does given a fair chance to coach from the bench and I wish him all the best, just not when then play us. Part of me hopes he is really successful for the man, just a shame its the bloody steelers!

DevilDom

Ocko said:
James said:
I suspect his style, like the Big Dog won't be too popular with the Sheffield fans.
His teams were set up to be effective and to get results, that admittedly came at a cost of performace some years. But IMO he never had the personnel to be anything other than that.

The year we had heavy investment in the squad in the year we had Weller, Matzka, Michel etc no one complained about the team performances or style played then. I'd say that year is up there with any we've had for entertainment.
Got to agree. For the majority of time G was player coach I really enjoyed the way we played. We were tough to beat at home, had a tough edge about us and nobody liked coming to the tent. Can hardly say the same about this season though where we are almost the opposite and have a soft under belly which has often resulted in us being thumped both home and away.

devilman1992 said:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/363815/Ice-Hockey-star-Gerad-Adams-set-for-return-to-former-club-Sheffield-Steelers

Announced a day to soon I think, should have left it until after his testimonial but hey that’s the Sheffield Star for you
The Daily Star is nothing to do with Sheffield.....

Excited by this tbh

drainage said:
James said:
I think we all knew it was coming ...I expected the news to be released after the game tonight but seems the Sheffield Star lack class that's hardly news though! You would have thought anyone with an IQ over single figures would have released that tomorrow but hey ho you can't buy intelligence!

Wish him well , support Shuff nope! I just hope there isn't a mass exodus of players but if there is hope we get a decent team in ...... It's sport , be good to move past this season and see our team respected once again
It's The Daily Star. Nothing to do with Sheffield.

Temme said:
Said this would happen weeks ago.

Glad for him, although poor time to announce it.

Now we wait and see how many of our current roster we can keep next term if G stays there...
hope your proud that you were correct and had to publicly broadcast it ;) but anyway good luck G thought youd be an awesome coach once youve hung up skates good luck to you and blighter at sheffield

drainage

Joesteeler said:
drainage said:
James said:

It's The Daily Star. Nothing to do with Sheffield.
May not be but they got their info from somewhere ? And unless I massively mis judged G it wasn't him? If I am wrong I am wrong but I strongly suspect that info came from the other side of Offas Dyke

Ocko

jimmy snels said:
good luck to g if true
Because we've really reverted to something miles away from dump and chase for the past few months. We have one line that doesnt play dump and chase and that is whichever line Kurka in on, because he is one of the few capable of playing an alternative way.

You cannot say he didn't do well considering budgets then say he brought in Weller with a huge budget. I have no idea on budgets but yes Weller would have been on better money than average, but he did need us as much as we needed him. A young and fairly unproven Michel, Macrae, S Smith, Pelle and superb uni deals with CBS meant we probably weren't the big spenders it appeared. Just because someone like Pelle had one of, if not the biggest scoring seasons in EIHL history doesnt mean he had the biggest salaries. All these guys had avergage seasons before in leagues like the CHL. There is no way they would have been on big money deals.