The Bison bans from Saturday - reviewed

puck

Thread starter #1
Again according to THF, but also on the Devils website.

Cruickshank - 4 games
Patrick - 2 games

Both from the incidents against Devils players in Basingstoke on Saturday. Both players have already served one match bans.

im not really too sure because i cant remember what was said, but were they not for 'sucker punching' something which voth got 6 games for? sorry if i am wrong thats just what i can recall.

but that makes absolutely no sense :? :? :? . How come they only get 2 games for it when the review hasnt taken place yet? if they can be given 2 game bans now, then why cant Voth get his reduced?

mike62

Both should only have been 2 minute penalties for 'Roughing'.

If you want consistency, where is the ban for Towe deliberately slashing Patrick?

EVERY punch thrown will now have to have a minimum 2 match ban.

The only one I would have thought deserves a ban is Cornish for the incident in Sunday's match, but he seems to have got away with it.

Absolutly crazy! :x

James

Administrator
mike62 said:
The only one I would have thought deserves a ban is Cornish for the incident in Sunday's match, but he seems to have got away with it.

Absolutly crazy! :x
I quite agree with you Mike.

im not in anyway saying that its deserved, i think its ridiculous but i also dont see where the consistency is. The league has driven teams to call every little thing that happens, which is ruining the game but the league is to blame for it.

Skippy

nmase20 said:
im not in anyway saying that its deserved, i think its ridiculous but i also dont see where the consistency is. The league has driven teams to call every little thing that happens, which is ruining the game but the league is to blame for it.
This has all come about from what Sheffield started

James

Administrator
I'm conflicted to be honest. We have had the league screw over one of our players. Now we see other teams getting the same treatment. Part of me thinks well the other teams should be penalised to the same extent, but where is it going to end. Are we going to end up with every team (other than Sheffield of course who are whiter than white and never put a dirty hit in) down X number of players? We are only what 3 weeks into the season and we have Hull, Cardiff and Giants down one player, Basingstoke down 2 possibly another, and Vipers possibly down two too. Mostly for playing the game they were hired to play. I haven't seen the Hull or Giants incident so can't comment, but Voth and the Basingstoke 2 didn't deserve game even. Lets hope they get the review out of the way and cut some bans down in size and we can get back to enjoying hockey and not worrying that every check or hit might leave us short benched.

Foxy

So how come Voth got 6 for a sucker punch and the Bison 2 get a 2 match ban each.

Surely a sucker punch is a sucker punch.

What is a sucker punch?

Cruikshank punched a player on the nose, Patrick reacted to a slash.

One Devil should have seen the punch coming, the other knew one was because he tried to get out the way.

Are they 'sucker punches'?

I think both Bison players already served a match ban start after and missed the next game,so they got 2 more added to make a 3 game ban in total. Voth got 3 doubled to 6 for his Phantom punch on the Squeeler player. So by this leagues way of thinking it is fair.

steve

The Elite league definition of a 'sucker punch' as per the Brad Voth incident, is a punch where the player knows what's coming and can see, but doesn't necessarily want to fight.

Not so long ago it used to be called an 'instigator' and got you 2 mins, not 6 matches!

In my book a sucker punch is a strike to the rear of a player, who both cannot see, and has no reason to expect being hit from behind - i don't think any of these incidents qualify. If Prpich wound Shanker up to the point Brad hit him, then Prpich wouldn't have been suprsied one bit. A game misconduct for a cheap shot would be in order, but a ban?!?

that still doesnt make any sense. In all three cases there were 'phantom' sucker punches that never really existed. yet voth gets 6 games and the basingstoke players get 3 games? it just doesnt work out. Even if you say after the review it'll go down to 3 that still makes no difference because the review hasnt taken place yet. So there is zero consistency. to be honist i thought there would be more fans kicking up a fuss about this :? .

steve

Because of these incidents i think its clear that the league have been backed into a corner.

I would guess that the league have now had to decide what the result of the review is going to be, before even having it! - the bans handed out this week are using the new tariff formula that will be agreed upon at the disciplinary review - at that time Voth's ban will be reduced to keep in-line with these new tariffs to probably 6 games (or 3 for the "sucker punch" <cough>.)

The other option for the league would have been to issue a load more draconian over the top bans this week (and consequently take the backlash), and then halve everything when the review is carried out!

i guess that makes sense, just makes them look pretty stupid really. HOPEFULLY after all these bans are done we'll have seen the end of this crazyness.

nmase20 said:
that still doesnt make any sense. In all three cases there were 'phantom' sucker punches that never really existed. yet voth gets 6 games and the basingstoke players get 3 games? it just doesnt work out. Even if you say after the review it'll go down to 3 that still makes no difference because the review hasnt taken place yet. So there is zero consistency. to be honist i thought there would be more fans kicking up a fuss about this :? .
Maybe because they haven't actually got the Cruikshank 'sucker punch' on camera?

Wannabe2

mike62 said:
nmase20 said:
Maybe because they haven't actually got the Cruikshank 'sucker punch' on camera?
And now mike we open a fresh set of worms.Club A has either a multi camera set up, or a very professional cameraman who dont miss a thing, and a incident happens, the tape is reviewed and the incident is there action is then taken against that player.
Club B doesnt have these fascilities, and a poor cameraman, the same offence happens but is not caught on camera, the tape again is reviewed but the incident isnt there, what now.
So is this a level playing field, i think not, we all know some clubs can afford things others cannot, and thats life, but if the league want fair justice for all, then they either insist a central camera is installed above the ice, covering all the playing area, and paying for it themselves, or insist the club installs it at tyhere cost. What you guys think, is the fairest way around this obvious problem.

Skippy

Wannabe2 said:
mike62 said:
nmase20 said:
And now mike we open a fresh set of worms.Club A has either a multi camera set up, or a very professional cameraman who dont miss a thing, and a incident happens, the tape is reviewed and the incident is there action is then taken against that player.
Club B doesnt have these fascilities, and a poor cameraman, the same offence happens but is not caught on camera, the tape again is reviewed but the incident isnt there, what now.
So is this a level playing field, i think not, we all know some clubs can afford things others cannot, and thats life, but if the league want fair justice for all, then they either insist a central camera is installed above the ice, covering all the playing area, and paying for it themselves, or insist the club installs it at tyhere cost. What you guys think, is the fairest way around this obvious problem.
Surely the officals should be of a standard that we don't need to review tape later ? ;) hehehe Sorry I couldn't resist :D

steve said:
The Elite league definition of a 'sucker punch' as per the Brad Voth incident, is a punch where the player knows what's coming and can see, but doesn't necessarily want to fight.

Not so long ago it used to be called an 'instigator' and got you 2 mins, not 6 matches!

In my book a sucker punch is a strike to the rear of a player, who both cannot see, and has no reason to expect being hit from behind - i don't think any of these incidents qualify. If Prpich wound Shanker up to the point Brad hit him, then Prpich wouldn't have been suprsied one bit. A game misconduct for a cheap shot would be in order, but a ban?!?
these are sucker punches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTM8ocJJkY4 Johnston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKxV9ilsqo Domi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY Bertuzzi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNX_grHq2Iw Purinton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGY1-HQQNNE Neikar