Thank you Franny

puck

Thread starter #1
With the other Franny/G topic full of questions about how the team is shaping up and G being back on the ice. I thought it would be nice to have a thread that's purely for people thanking Franny for his service. Hope that's ok Mods.

Personally, I'd like to thank Franny for providing me with years of pure entertainment! Franny you were always entertaining on the ice, you had a way of turning games around with a single hit or check.

Your fight with Gonzo stands out for me as one of the best moments in the tent - class.

I have always been so full of admiration for the way you combine a good career with playing hockey and also without complaining (well, not when I've spoken to you anyway)!

I do hope that you have a testimonial in the next couple of years - a great servant to the club and very deserving of a testimonial season.

Franny you are and always will be a legend and I am devastated you won't be a regular on the ice next season. I am however ecstatic that you're staying around because the Devils would not seem like the Devils without Mr Neil Francis.
Thank you

Thanks for everything Frannimal! I will be retiring my Franny T shirt in honour! Always gave everything and at some of our darkest times in recent years you could always rely one one player to be out there giving 100%

Rempel16

Yes, the guy deserves every bit of credit thrown at him.

To combine a full-time job with 'working' weekend as a hockey player must be very gruelling, but Franny does it with a smile.

I can honestly say he is the only player i have ever seen play that has given 100% every single game.

Finny

It often winds me up when you see fans saying a player "always gives 100%". But there is no better description for Franny.

He will go out there ever shift and skate as fast as he can and hit as hard as he can. If you told him he needed to skate through a brick wall for the team he probably would. The fact he has given this amount of commitment and determination to the team despite having a full time job outside of the sport, is quite remarkable.

When I get home I'll try and do a complete stats lowdown on his Devils career.

Foxy

Agreed.

Big thumbs up to Franny. He's served us well.

Bet he'll be getting itchy feet just watching from the bench though :lol:

Chris

Administrator
A shame to lose Franny, but glad he's staying on the bench.

If he's only half as committed on the bench as he was/is on the ice it's all good.

Thanks Franny :)

Chris.

Gazza272

I am really glad he is staying on as bench coach though, even when playing you can see his very visable motivational taps and talks to other players, especially the younger players. He made sure to give some positive feedback however small or big to the ENL guys towards the end of the year. And those little bits of extra encouragement can go a long way.

He also has years and years of expereince at every level of the UK game, i'ed like to think he will have more of an assistant coach role this year as opposed to bench coach.

all in all thanks for the commitment to the shirt you showed franny and best of luck in this new role :D

joffa

A wise move by a committed and loyal Devils player. The injuries he has recovered from while keeping his long term job is a credit to his honesty and determination. Sad loss as far as on-ice 100% shear guts and work but what a tremendous boost for the club and the team to have his enthusiasm, experience and personality helping to running the bench. Good call 'G' and best wishes for a new era for a true local hero!:D

Wannabe2

So sad to see Neil retiring, he was what the Cardiff Devils were all about, and he will be missed on the ice by many many fans, however the good news is that he will still be a vital cog in the Devils machinery. Cut Franny and he will bleed red, he has shown characteristics which are rarely seen today, LOYALTY, TOTAL COMMITMENT,ENTHUSIASM BY THE BUCKETLOAD,HONESTY,and a heart the size of the universe. Thank you so much Neil, from watching you as a youngster, fighting Norman Pinnington in Hull, playing in Europe, being on the Welsh line for the goal at Wembley, being a member of the Posse,punching Peron when still on the bench, hitting like a train, and more importantly than all that being one of the nicest people anyone could meet, it says a lot about your upbringing, and your personality. Thank you again my friend for so many memories, and lots still to come.
HAPPY FRANNY DAYS.

Its got to be said Franny is probably the most commited person in the Cardiff Devils, the amount of hours he puts in for the team around having a full time job is amazing and i don't think there is a lot of people out there that would do it.
Thanks Franny for entertaining us fans for all these years and i hope you go far as a bench/assistant coach. Who knows it could be coach franny one day! :p

ASHIPP

His determination, commitment and positivity always made me enjoy watching Franny for years. So glad that he will now use his skills and motivation on the bench instead of retiring from the sport that's been his life. Great to hear you're still on board, Franny, and thank you for every 200% you gave in every game you ever played. :D

Diafol

puck said:
I do hope that you have a testimonial in the next couple of years - a great servant to the club and very deserving of a testimonial season.
Totally agree with that bit. In fact, I totally agree with everything that has been said so far :D

Best wishes Franny for your new role with the Devils. You'll be missed on the ice by every Devils fan, that's for sure.

I'm sure that Franny has a record of this for posterity...

I'm seem to remember his first ever Devils goal coming against the Whitley Bay Warriors in season 1992/1993. Kevin Dean (in the Warriors goal) left a juicey rebound which Franny tipped through his legs as he crashed the net. Face-Off were covering the game and Paul Ferguson (the only person in Britain who tops Brent as a hockey commentator) described Francis as having the 'fun bumps' in his stomach as Ruggles, Hope etc. jumped on him as he returned to the bench!

Thanks for always giving 100% Franny.

Cheers,

John

I have always had a huge respect for Franny, not just for his "fully committed" style of hockey, but I think more importantly because he is one of very few players who after such a long career in the same club, has lost none of his enthusiasm throughout all the twists and turns of Mockey in Cardiff and has a level of preofessionalism which is matched by very few.

So, congratulations on a great career on the ice Neil. Its great to know that the club has recognised your commitment, with this new role..... the bench is in safe hands!