Team Toughness and Skillset

Thread starter #1
Firstly, this thread/post isn't a criticism on what we have built so far. I for one am very excited for the start of a new season and hopefully fantastic era ahead. This is simply to see what kind on physicality, if any, people would like to add.

We clearly have built a skillful, fast and somewhat younger team this season (on paper anyway). A team that has a buzz of excitement around it like that of the old Super league days. But with all this skill and supposedly higher calibre players do you think we have enough team Toughness and player Toughness this season to allow those skilled players to perform to their best ability without fear of being levelled out. Especially with the loss of some of our previous go to guys when that side of the game was needed. We were after all advised that this would be a entertaining and physical team that the opposition would dread playing and that the fans would be excited and entertained when watching.

I personally think we could benefit from signing a tough player whom is happy to go toe to toe with anyone in the league if required, can hit like the Brandt express train whilst also chipping in with the odd point here and there. Some of you may well prefer an out and out Goon who entertains each game he is allowed to play in and some of you may not feel that any further Toughness is required at all and would just prefer another fast and skilled player.

What are your thoughts and if you think we need a more physical player to be added to the team then who would be your recommendation or who would you like to see added? Obviously within reason.

RedDevil17

Going by from what I’ve seen on paper, I genuinely don’t know who can really provide toughness other than Brandt. Louis is a big loss in terms of toughness. I think we need 2 big D men who can drop the gloves but also play as well as a feisty, hard hitting third liner.

moggy#9

Much as I know PR doesn't like the idea of enforcers, there is still a need for protecting skilled guys. In our league there will always be some low life who will take a run at a goalie, or try to blindside a forward in a vulnerable position. When those things happen, there must be consequences. I just don't buy this team toughness idea. As far as I can see, the only person who will regularly step up to the mark is Brandt. Much as I love his game, at 5 feet 8, he's never going to be that deterrent.

For me, this is the most glaring gap in our recruitment. We need to play the game as it is, not as we'd like it to be.

AJ73

Busch has dropped them in the ECHL - so I think of the forward group (Brandt aside), he is most likely to stick up for the skilled players at 6ft3.

Defence - I think Batch will be asked to look after the team, unless there is a complete left field acquisition replacing Crawford or instead of Mosey…

Thread starter #10
Going by from what I’ve seen on paper, I genuinely don’t know who can really provide toughness other than Brandt. Louis is a big loss in terms of toughness. I think we need 2 big D men who can drop the gloves but also play as well as a feisty, hard hitting third liner.
My thoughts and concerns exactly. I mean Brandt in all fairness to him is as tough and as willing as the next guy lb for lb and can check as hard as someone twice his size but dropping the gloves against one of the bigger heavyweights there is likely to only be one winner even though he would have a crack.

RedDevil17

Not really fussed as those days are gone.

I can't wait to see how fast this team is tbh
Well no it’s not necessarily ‘gone’ from the game. In the NHL you still have guys like Reaves on the team who can protect the skilled guys. In our case it’s important to have a few tough guys (even Batch if he’s actually willing to do it!) on the team to prevent injuries, particularly considering both Ully and Barrow have had serious injuries last season. It’s important that doesn’t happen again, and a few tough guys will help to prevent this

Thread starter #12
Much as I know PR doesn't like the idea of enforcers, there is still a need for protecting skilled guys. In our league there will always be some low life who will take a run at a goalie, or try to blindside a forward in a vulnerable position. When those things happen, there must be consequences. I just don't buy this team toughness idea. As far as I can see, the only person who will regularly step up to the mark is Brandt. Much as I love his game, at 5 feet 8, he's never going to be that deterrent.

For me, this is the most glaring gap in our recruitment. We need to play the game as it is, not as we'd like it to be.
Spot on and couldn't agree more, especially with the 'Team Toughness' qoute that seems to have been our go to saying for the last couple of seasons. We do need a player who will be happy to drop the gloves, can chip in now and again with a few points but isn't dependent on that BUT is solid on the defence and maybe another that can play first but also has that intimidation factor amongst the league who doesn't necessarily need to drop them as his presence alone will be enough but is extremely competent should someone be prepared to go there.

Thread starter #13
Not really fussed as those days are gone.

I can't wait to see how fast this team is tbh
I don't think the days are gone of running keepers and taking cheap shots. I do agree the game has changed significantly to a more European style over the last decade. For me I don't think that is for the better, however, I also understand that some people like the faster, less physicality/contact game.

We need someone in the mold of stefan fournier, good player but willing to drop the gloves with anyone. Would compliment any team nicely imo.

Mooney#16

Fans have complained for seasons we have been bullied and that was with Lou in the team but also a number of other tough players. Even when Bordeleau was here the same got said. Team toughness is a thing in so much as it’s a mindset how the whole team plays and reacts to a team playing physical against them. Do you get intimidated or do you reply in kind or are you the pro active team who takes it to the opposition in the first instance. Even in Belfast for years they had Keefe who is only 5,10 but played much taller that that. Something Brandt is more than capable of.
it’s not like there is a league wide arms race on tough guys. Guildford have been good at team toughness the last couple of years I think. Not mega tough but rarely intimidated.

I loved the era of the heavyweights but it’s done. Over. Finished. Modern hockey is physical but built on speed and tempo and a reliance on the officials and league to police. Devils will have more than enough in the locker but most important in modern hockey to keeping teams honest is a clinical power play. Coaches will soon pull their players in line if they are getting destroyed on the PK.

E.D.S.

My concern with "team toughness", as I've said before is that I've never seen it executed in Cardiff. Certainly not in the modern era. What worries me is what I saw last year, Martin, Sanford and Cox getting stuck into needless exchanges. They shouldn't be getting involved but ultimately they had to - either because they were getting man handled and roughed up or it was down to sheer frustration of chasing shadows and defending for 95% of their shift. Added to that you had Crawford taking petulant penalties for slashing or roughing that amounted to nothing other than to put us short handed. It wasn't sending a message or sticking up for anyone, it was petulance. I don't really want to see that.
I'm all for Brandt. I love the guy but one guy throwing hits and willing to drop the gloves that is a shade over 5ft 7" isn't team toughness either.
Fournier could barely skate and wasn't the answer, neither is a full on knuckle dragger but there's definitely a middle ground to be found. Bottom line.... I don't want to see Sanford, Martin and Cox sat in the penalty box. That seemed to happen far too often in big games (I might have imagined it but that's what it felt like). I want someone to tell Conway (if he was still here) that he's in for one hell of a day every time he steps on the ice and if he doesn't hurt him with a check then he'll no choice him and batter him should he go near our first line stars. Also, if our 6ft 4" Brit defender gets smashed in to the boards at home by a Flame then someone has more than a word. Too much too ask for? I don't see that happening with "team toughness".

Didn't we have one of, if not the most fights, last year? That still didn't feel like team toughness to me. We still got bullied and smashed around the ice, at times.

lloyd_jeff

The goon days are over, now it’s less glove dropping and more physical hitting & cheap shots, particularly when it is affecting the oppositions plays. You need to have the option of a Brandt type, just needs to be bigger.