Story of our season so far

Koop11

Thread starter #1
Looking at the Elite League table it certainly suggests the Devils are playing an entertaining brand of hockey this year with inconsistent results. The Devils are the highest scoring team in the Elite League so far by some distance. Conversely we have conceded the most amount of goals and unfortunately but some distance also. Looking at the players we brought in this off season and their style of play I can’t say I’m too surprised.

What is clear to see this early season is how competitive this league has been. The Devils have won 7 and lost 6 but even Nottingham have lost 4 despite their impressive start to the season. Coventry actually look in the strongest position with only 2 loses and 7 wins (games in hand).

For the Devils it’s our away record that appears to be letting us down. We’ve only lost once at home in the league in a game we really could have won had we not played in such a poor contested match (Belfast). We did pick up a point in that game so we’re actually picked up 9 points from 10 at home. Loses away to Newcastle, Hull, Sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham have hurt us this year although we have won at Newcastle, Hull and Sheffield in competitions this seasons. The encouraging thing is the amount of goals we have scored away and the closely contested matches in general.

From the Devils 3 year plan point of view I think this start is not perfect but very good none the less. We’re a winning team at home so far and we’ve played in some great games which have entertained the die hard fans and the new faces we’ve seen this season. Along with a good marketing plan, the entertaining games with good results have boosted our attendances this year and this is the building block for our future as a club.

Our defensive elements of our game and away record so far could be what hinders our aspirations of a league title this season. However, entertaining hockey and a competitive team can certainly bring this club silverware. Bottom line is its very early days but I’m really looking forward to seeing our season pans out.

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/stats/query.php

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/fixtures.aspx

Nice post Koop.

I have to agree with most of that. Away record definitely needs to improve whilst keeping our impressive home record ticking over. Devils are definitely the team to watch if you want an entertaining game this year - 101 goals in 13 league games! I definitely prefer 6-5 games to 1-0 or 2-1 games which there seemed to be a lot of last season. Certainly need to look at tightening up the defence though as to let that many goals in is frightening.

Can anybody shed some light on the current Challenge Cup situation. According to the table on the Elite site (ignoring Nottingham who are already through), Devils and Blaze are both on 4 points, but it says Blaze have played 5, therefore making Wednesday's game their last - so does that mean a draw will be sufficient for us to go through (Hull are apparently on 0 points with 2 games remaining) or is that table incorrect?

Finny

The table on the EIHL site is wrong as it doesn't count the Nottingham games that doubled up.

Correct table is:

Nottingham: GP 6 Pts 11
Cardiff: GP 4 Pts 4
Coventry: GP 5 Pts 4
Hull: GP 5 Pts 1

Nottingham have qualified whilst Hull are definately out of it.
For us to qualify we only need a draw against Coventry on Wed night. If we lose then we need to win in Hull on Saturday and hope the tie-breakers favour us.