Storm v Devils

Hockeymad

Ideally we want mcnally on the ice and any other import.. but I think our brits have improved so much they will fill those gaps unlike few years ago. Waller duggan Davies are good enough for lots of ice times.

I don't want anyone missing but I think we will be ok regardless

jenks33

Ideally we want mcnally on the ice and any other import.. but I think our brits have improved so much they will fill those gaps unlike few years ago. Waller duggan Davies are good enough for lots of ice times.

I don't want anyone missing but I think we will be ok regardless
You’re right our brits have improved and I’ve been hugely impressed by Duggan and Waller. I still don’t want us to be going into too many games with 10 forwards this season though, fatigue will soon be a problem.

Gough60

If you read my post you will see that i did say any game against Steelers is a big game. If this (1st) weekend is HUGE then come the Belfast double header & Scotland triple header those weekends will be STRATOSPHERIC.
Oh and I am far from pedantic.

moggy#9

You’re right our brits have improved and I’ve been hugely impressed by Duggan and Waller. I still don’t want us to be going into too many games with 10 forwards this season though, fatigue will soon be a problem.
I have a nasty feeling that this season might end up getting heavily influenced by luck (i.e. injuries and when certain fixtures are) and the stupid 19 player rule.

jenks33

Jenks you should not be getting involved in these squabbles you are our intelligence officer and should stay chilled.
Haha not sure about that.

You’re right though, no need for squabbling on here and I do apologise for being a bit childish.

If there’s one thing most of us have in common on here it’s that we’re passionate about the Devils. Bottom line I want to see Brandon Mcnally on the ice and not serving avoidable suspensions. I think he was one of our better players in the CHL

moggy#9

Haha not sure about that.

You’re right though, no need for squabbling on here and I do apologise for being a bit childish.

If there’s one thing most of us have in common on here it’s that we’re passionate about the Devils. Bottom line I want to see Brandon Mcnally on the ice and not serving avoidable suspensions. I think he was one of our better players in the CHL
If he takes a suspension, it needs to be worthwhile and not over something trivial.

Mazzoak

Always the same:

Win by loads = It's to easy
Lose by loads = The team isn't good enough
Win by fine margin = should have won by more
Lose by fine margin = should have won/blame a player

Also these same people never give the opposition any credit just for being better in their win, it's always the Devils at fault.

Never happy BUT that is a tiny minority to be honest which I'm fine with, let them moan.
There going to have a terrible year then.....too early to tell but if l was going to predict based on only the fact it’s pre season at this point, I’d say it will be a competitive roller coaster of unpredictability and entertainment and we’ll be in the top 4 at the end of the season. Probably 3rd & l couldn’t give a flying foxck because after everything that’s gone on, that’s pretty amazing..........

Mazzoak

McNally is a players player who will stand by his team mates and be there for them. We've had them throughout the Devils history.

Ian Cooper
Nicky Chinn
Frank Evans
Mike MacWilliams
Brad Voth
Andrew Hotham
Mark Louis

These players are and were a huge part of the Devils.

Players like these are agitators, intimidating, they can change a game by just being there as lesser players on the opposition will avoid them and not commit 100% for a puck.
McNally isn't just a tough guy, he can play.
We've always had a stand up guy and McNally is now that guy.
Yes the game has moved on from full on enforcers but there is no way you can have a team without a player like McNally, he's made his mark, he will get under players skin and players will avoid being near him which will lead to their game plan having to change.
I welcome McNally's style of play and think the Devils will be better for it.
Come on you have to include this nut job...

Slartibartfast

For once I agree with everyones point of view. Yes we love the spirit that McNally brings. Just don't want to see DOPS constantly banning him. This guy can do some damage on the ice and I don't just mean by fighting and chirping. He can score also and is great to watch. Any new player will take time to adjust to the leagues discipline level. We know that any contact with the head is usually punished by DOPS. Pity the camera missed it. The camera did not miss Lammon getting cross checked though right in front of the ref with no call. But Lammon retaliated with a slash which the ref did call. New players are going to have to adjust to these frequent injustices in this league.

As for the game. I wasn't saying we played bad just not as good as previously and we had more penalties than they did and it did play a part in what was looking likely to be a whitewash until then. 2 mistakes and the penalties, took the game from an easy win to a close run thing.

I think the smaller rink did play a part. When it went 3 on 3 OT I said to my wife, I have no doubt we will win now as we have the space we need and are a much better team. And sure enough it didn't take Reid long to prove that.

All in all, a win is a win and this team still look very very good but there are lessons to be learned from Manchester which is no surprise for a very new team. Thats why we have friendlies.

drainage

Are 'friendlies' covered by DoPS? I seem to remember in previous years they weren't as they are not EIHL games as such I'd have thought Sheffield would have seen some DoPS action before the Sunday game if so.
Yes they bannned a Sheffield player yesterday……couldnt see it on DOPS Twitter but was on Sheffields

drainage

I think that there are a lot of things about the game that people don't fully understand unless they've played it at some level.
That’s a bit condescending! Watched my first game in 1986 been abroad to watch Devils and GB ……yes I have never played but fairly sure I have a handle on the game !

moggy#9

That’s a bit condescending! Watched my first game in 1986 been abroad to watch Devils and GB ……yes I have never played but fairly sure I have a handle on the game !
Not intended to be condescending at all. There are certain things like edge control, little tricks around managing the puck around the boards and the like that it's easier to appreciate when you've experienced them yourself. I myself have picked up a lot from watching since 1986, but it was playing and coaching, albeit not at a terribly high level, that gave me a massive appreciation of certain aspects of the game.

moggy#9

I'd also point out that I tried being a linesman once, and it gave me a new appreciation of how hard the job of the stripies is. I've been a lot more careful about asked that I criticise since then.

drainage

Not intended to be condescending at all. There are certain things like edge control, little tricks around managing the puck around the boards and the like that it's easier to appreciate when you've experienced them yourself. I myself have picked up a lot from watching since 1986, but it was playing and coaching, albeit not at a terribly high level, that gave me a massive appreciation of certain aspects of the game.
Can I comment from a players point of view ? No I can’t but it doesn’t mean I can’t get the fundamentals but yes I agree watching and playing will always offer a differing view